Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 37 Zephyr build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Wensum Valley Rods, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Unbelievable!

2. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

3. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

whoa. crazy awesome. stellar work!

4. Astonishing progress! Seriously one of the most impressive saves i´ve seen pulled off here.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. Awesome Paul.I know how it is racing towards a deadline and I really hope you gonna make it.

6. -JoeSmith-

-JoeSmith-

A msz

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!l

7. rld14

rld14

Astonishing.... If that was a solid, complete, unmolested low mileage barn find it would be astonishing to be where you are in this amount of time.

But to start with a pile of trashed and rotted tin cobbled together from several cars? I am humbled.

8. More pictures! We want to see all the little steps!!

9. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

Thanks for all the awesome comments guys, very much appreciated. Great to see that you guys are also seeing the build through to the end with me. It's really starting to come together now. It seems to take an age to get some things done and then others go real quick.

Still pressing on with it. I have plumbed in the brakes and bled them out as best I could with a piece of wood jammed under the steering wheel to the pedal. Got a usable pedal but I think with a proper bleed it will be job sorted.
    I got the headlight buckets and the 7" halogen lights fitted behind the zephyr glasses. Bit of a mare of a job but with a bit more tweeking of the bezels I think we are there.
    I have started to get the dash back together and started to piece out the wiring.
    I also got the rear spring shackles sorted. The zephyr shackles are the same as ford truck ones and are massive compared to the ford car ones. They have a 1/2 square hole (or maybe even bigger) in them compared to the 3/8 square hole in the ford ones. The thing is my zephyr had the columbia taken out and a 39 ford banjo put in it's place. This left me with a spring with huge shackle bushes in and hairpins with the smaller 3/8 square shackles in.
    I had some old car shackles that I cut down to a press fit into the square holes in the zephyr shackles and then welded them in The pics should tell the tale.
    I then laid it back down on it's wheels to see how it sits. I might get it a bit lower but I will get it complete with gas tank, petrol tank , interior etc and drive it around a bit to let it settle before I decide. It's hard to get a good view of it while it's still in the shop.
    I also made up a column drop tonight. The original one had been cut in half at some point and the steering and ignition lock were beyond repair. I had a good pilot column drop and good locks but it is too short by around 4 inches. So I played around and fabbed up a drop with I hope a good art deco look. Beverly loved it, so I must have got something right. It still needs a bit of work and then painting but looks like it should be there.
    Beverly is set to start on the interior tomorrow so I think I will be helping with that and concentrating on getting the other door welded up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paul.

10. ausbuick

ausbuick

Great work Boss

11. Mooseandsqurl53

Mooseandsqurl53
    from N.J.

That job was way more than I would have taken on. You surely have my admiration and respect.

12. camcb

camcb

Freaking sharp as can be I love what you have done with a tough project that most would have shy'd away from. Please video her maiden voyage.

13. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

Well what a hectic four weeks we have had. I haven't kept tabs on how many hours I have worked on the zephyr since I got the inspection notice from the dvla a month ago, but I have worked well over 400 hours, and Beverly has taken two weeks off work on holiday to help out and has also put in a mammoth amount of hours.

Had a very busy birthday today, sprayed the passenger door, rear lights and column drop. Messed around with the deck lid and sorting small things like hub caps etc while the paint was drying , then fitted all the rear lights,door and the steering column and drop.
    I have still got the deck lid to finish filling and then paint and there is still the wiring and exhausts to be done, but apart from fitting the door cards it has a full interior (which looks bloody great), and the body is all in top coat so should now stand up to the elements. It's not straight by a long mark, but it's a whole lot better than it was a year ago. :)

I will post up some pics of the work that we have done in the last four weeks later, but for now here's some pics of how it looks at the close of day today. Hopefully the bandwidth will hold out on my photobucket account, as it's getting close to it's limit.

Do you guys reckon this represents a complete car now ? Will see what Mrs DVLA has to say for herself tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paul

14. COUPES

COUPES
    from England

Hope all goes well with the DVLA, Paul. Well worth the blood, sweat and tears. Looks Awsome mate. PS don't tell them it was a sedan lol.

15. camcb

camcb

Very nice indeed!

16. JJK

JJK

Baller

17. pride63

pride63

Good luck at dvla Paul

18. Fingers crossed for you.
    Just love this car.

19. It's been quite the thrash, but she is a real beauty. Congrats!

20. Vegas_Cleaver

Vegas_Cleaver

Amazing paul the transformation is inspiring. Good luck and can't wait to see the pics of it out.

21. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

Inspection done and dusted. Took all of 5 minutes.
    The woman who insisted on it being a finished car did the inspection, she was extremely pleasant and said that there should be absolutely no issues, took the vin numbers and the mileage reading and said she should re issue the number hopefully this afternoon.

A couple of really good things have come from this mess, firstly and most importantly the zephyr is now far more finished than it would have been come Pendine in september.
    Secondly and a bit strange when I came back from the inspection I had the problem of turning around 40 ft of truck and trailer. This is not normally a problem as I just reverse it down the lane, but as I didnt want to reverse the zephyr into a very narrow lane and risk the hedge attacking it I took the option of driving onto the field behind my house and turn around there.
    To my surprise I found a very tired and hot black necked swan laying against the gate to the field. This poor thing would have without died by the end of today , but is now swimming happily around my pond while we sort out someone to take it on.
    If it wasn't for the inspection I would have not gone round there and it would almost certainly not been found in time.

Pictures should return to normal in a few days guys, seems the bandwidth has reached it's limit on my photobucket account. Should reset on the 27th.

Paul.

22. Congrats for passing inspection Paul.

23. poprodder

poprodder
    from uk

24. pride63

pride63

Excellent news Paul.

25. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Outstanding sir.Congrats on the Swan rescue.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

26. I love what you have done with it. Great job.

27. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

Paul, simply fantastic.

Looking forward to seeing it on the beach at Pendine.

28. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

29. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

You and me both, :)

30. Sakke

Sakke
    from Finland

GREAT looking Zephyr Paul !!!