Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs '37 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Winged Avenger II, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Hey guys, need your ideas. '37 Ford custom with high performance 350 in it. Electric radiator fan keeps cutting out, blowing fuses. When fan is running, car temp is fine. Put in a 15 amp circuit breaker(car has new fan cut off switch-old one was a piece of crap, couple of weeks ago). After putting in circuit breaker, cut off switch fan ran fine for one mile, then blew circuit breaker which was red hot. Someone said I should put in a 30 amp breaker, but wouldn't that take away protection for the circuit with the higher amp. Know too many guys that tried 30 amp and ended up with fires. Could fan be bad(has about 500 miles on car), or do I have to go through the wiring harness? Can't figure this one out. Thanx, any ideas are appreciated.

2. I have never fused a fan, I use the proper relay and run 'em. You should have a 10 gauge for supply to the relay, and switched power is usually 14-16 gauge. The fan does not run off of switched power, it runs off the relay and all the switched power does is supply the power to make up the contacts in the relay about 3 - 5 amps. They say that you should run your supply as short as possible and I usually pull it from the hot post on my starter. If you are not running a relay that is your problem. They are cheap from places like Summit racing.

3. oldolds

oldolds

There should be info on the fan as to what amps it pulls. I know the fan I have used seem to draw a lot of amps. As PNB says, use heavy wire.

4. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

PNB has it right-circuit breaker and relay. Many kits available--most I have seen use a 70 amp relay

5. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Times 3 on the relay. Takes the load off the sensor switch too. Google a wiring diagram.

6. brady1929

brady1929

Yes the fuse is there to protect the wiring.