Register now to get rid of these ads!

37 Ford Tudor window channel help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Al, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

Hi. I bought window channel kits for both sides front and rear on a 37 Ford Tudor. My interior was gutted pretty much before I bought it. I found some sort of cats whiskers screwed to the body of the door.. I have 4 of these in the box.. Where does the other whisker go?? I guess it goes onto the garnish molding. If I am right.. Does it glue on?? Nothing was on my garnish moldings when I bought the car so I am not sure. These are from a Vintique kit.. There were no instructions in the box.. Thanks.. Al

2. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

one goes on the door and one on the garnish--usually held on with staples

3. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

I 'm loosing something here. Staple to what?? I see where I have to screw to the door. I don't have any wood on the garnish molding.. Got a picture of that at all??

4. flat 39

flat 39

I used small sheet metal screws on mine.

5. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Al:

The factory stapled them on to the metal. Must have taken a big machine. You can use small screws or pop rivets. I used rivets on mine 23 years ago. Still good to go. Stu.

6. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

Ok thanks. Don 't know why they can't supply some sort of instructions with them..

7. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

I just got home from work. I was looking over what I got. I have to use the screws on the door, and in one of the garnish moldings. On the other garnish moldings there are a bunch of clips. Can those clips be used over again??, and are they hard to take off and put back on??

8. For what it's worth,I used adhesive to glue the whiskers in place on the garnish molding and the door,,held in place with masking tape.

For the life of me I could never figure out how to install the whiskers with the supplied staples. HRP

9. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I used the smallest pop rivets I could find and painted them black after install.

10. arincee

arincee

Al, these were held in place with two different types of clips. Bob Drake has everything you need to attach the window felts to the body and garnish molding. The clips you have in your garnish moldings can probably be reused. If not, Drake has new ones.

11. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

Thanks. I'll check with Drake.

I have a butch of staples. Still scratching my head on that one also. There are no holes in the garnish molding where staples were ever there.. All I can say is Huh..

12. dolsen37

dolsen37
    from Nebraska

One on garnish one on door. Originally held on with staples but I did mine with very small sheet metal screws from hardware stoor. The screws hold tight and bury into the felt so you cant see them and they don't touch the glass.

good luck
    dolsen37

13. A bottle of black touch up paint from the parts store is just right for making the screws or rivets disappear.

14. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

Ok. At work now, but my day off tomorrow and I will start. Does that little bead go over the edge??

15. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Place it even to the edge. Stu

16. We had one of those staple machines in the local GM factory. Wasn't a big machine. Was still stored on the third floor in the 90's. Use as small screw and touch up with black marks a lot. Mac's sells black screws also.

17. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

I went out and put the fuzzies on the window and garnish molding. I used a lot of little screws that came with the kit. I will have to buy some more to do the other door.
    Question.. What is that roll of insulation for?? Is that for the top so the glass won't bind up against the metal of the door??