Register now to get rid of these ads!

37 ford gauge info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigassdummy, Mar 8, 2007.

1. bigassdummy

bigassdummy

Although I've been a member for a couple of years I just started on my car. I don't ever post threads this will be my first. Trying to get it done for Paso Robles. I need to hook up 37 ford stock gauges in a 1931 model A with a Vintique gas tank. To hook up the sending unit the auto parts store wants to know what ohm gauges I will be running.

2. I don't know the answer. it seems like you could put an ohm meter to the gage and see what it takes to go from empty to full.
    I'm sure someone knows what Ford used 1937.
    what options did the auto parts store offer?

3. i believe your fuel sender should be 73 ohms empty and 10 ohms full

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Dont know that answer, I used the stock tank on my 37 along with the original fuel sender. You could use the original sender and attach it to your new tank.
    Dont forget here..you will need to step down the voltage from 12 to 6 volts or you will cook your 37 gauge in a heartbeat.

5. 40Tudor

40Tudor

Listen to 36-3w and then get an IR-1 instrument regulator from NAPA to deal with the 12V change. Same setup in my 40 with stock gauges. Works good. I got a sender from Yogi's P/N TAN-ORG to fit the small 5-hole pattern in my tank.

6. if I'm understanding. the IR-1 instrument regulator steps the gauge down so you can use an aftermarket 12v sender?

7. 40Tudor

40Tudor

Short answer: Yes

Long answer:
    These gauges work on current and heat more than voltage. The early Ford electrical senders had contacts and bimetal strips to control the temperature of the bimetal strip in the gauge and needle position. This resulted in a pulsed signal to the gauge. The IR-1 gives you the same sort of pulsed signal when using a variable resistance (modern aftermarket) sender.

Ford electrical gauges from the late 30's to the mid '70s all work the same. After 56 or so when Ford went 12V all their gauge panels had something like an IR-1 on it.

Hope this helps.

Chris

8. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

You will need to find a standard Ford tank sender as well as the temp senders for your gauges to work along with the IR unit. As was mentioned the senders have a set of contacts and bi-metal strips and are not just variable resistance as the newer units are.

I have prints on both circuits from 1949 units that work the same as your '37 units. PM me with your e-mail addy and I can e-mail them to you.

9. late 60's early 70's tank unit work?