Register now to get rid of these ads!

37 dodge touring chop help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by detroitboy27, Jan 30, 2009.

1. detroitboy27

detroitboy27
    from katy, tx

I've run multiple searches with multiple years and makes and have come up with nothing. I found alot on early 30's vehicles but nothing for mid to late 30's. I really need some pics/advice for chopping a mid to lates 30's touring sedan. I even got tex smith's book, which is a help, but no touring sedan. This is going to be my first chop and I really need some guidance on where to make my first cuts. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

2. sodas38

sodas38

These tops are Turret top cars and you would be way ahead if you had another top to use. Depending how much you want to chop it you'll have a section across the middle of the top and the metal will need to be matched to look right. If you use a flat piece of sheetmetal it makes the top look squashed.

The attached photos are of a 38 Dodge which I think has a very cool chop to it. You've chosen a tough car to chop, good luck and keep us posted.

Attached Files:

3. Ghost28

Ghost28

I posted on your intro, In regards to your car. I'll try to get my pics down loaded for ya. How much you thinking of chopping it. I chopped mine 5 inches overall which left me with a 7 3/4 inch windshield. These cars when done are a blast to drive, cause you can get all your friends in them and have a cross country party. And as I said I'll get you more details either here on your p.m. ghost

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  4. detroitboy27

detroitboy27
    from katy, tx

thanks guys, I'm thinking of chopping it about 3.5 to 4 inches. I do have donor vehicle available so I know that will help. The part I'm worried most of is the very rear windows and quarter sections behind them. I'm real curious to see where people made their first cuts in those areas. I might lean the windshield back a little and also plan on keeping the rear window stock size. Thanks again for your help.

5. Ghost28

Ghost28

On a 37 dodge just like others of the full figure designs. The tops will not come down square. So having a donor car will help. (Step one) Interior bracing is real important because when you cut the car apart all the door gaps could change without them. On some of the cars I have chopped, I have squared up all the body lines first. Then tack welded the doors shut to maintain the fit. On your 4 door this might not be a bad idea (STEP TWO) MEASURING On a 4 inch vertical cut through the b pillers, the amount through the a pillers will need to be larger. To get this measurement find a 4 inch by 4 foot piece of steel or what ever. And stretch it vertical across the a, and b, pillers. And draw your 4 inch scribe marks through both pillers. The b piller should be exactly 4 inches vertical. And the a piller if you measure it at the angle of the a piller. It will give you the exact amount over all that you will cut out of the a piller. So in other words a 4 inch cut through the side windows will mean a close to 5 inch cut through the wind shield. And once it is cut it is hard to go back. My 37 was my first cut, And I learned the hard way. that is why my windshield was cut so small. You mentioned keeping the back windows full size. I did that on my car also, but I had severe damage to the body below the trunk. So in correcting this I completely removed the trunk lid and surounding metal. And moved it down and layed it flatter which kept my windows full size this was a lot of work and did not make the car look any better so if you can shrink the rear glass it will look more in proportion to the rest of the cut. On the quarter windows. Just cut the small curve out of the back, or rear, area of the quarter windows. And just trim and move it forward. This will shrink these windows down, top and length. And they also will look in proportion. Wish I was there to help. Good memorys...ghost

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  6. detroitboy27

detroitboy27
    from katy, tx

Ghost that really helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    thank you so much for taking a few minutes to write that up for me, I really appreciate it.