Register now to get rid of these ads!

37 chevy vin tag info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by allshookup, Dec 12, 2009.

  1. allshookup
    Joined: Feb 7, 2009
    Posts: 8

    from Itasca, IL

    looking for pictures of 37 chevy coupe vin tag and where they are mounted.
    thanks bob
  2. haychrishay
    Joined: Jul 23, 2008
    Posts: 921


    I dont have piture's but they are mounted on the passenger side cowl. not the actual fire wall but the cowl a few inches down from wher ethe belt moulding woud run, and get this they were screwed on!
  3. Lobucrod
    Joined: Mar 22, 2006
    Posts: 4,074

    Alliance Vendor

    The # on the cowl tag is a serial number for the body not the VIN. Chevrolet used the motor # for the VIN up intil about 54. Sure causes problems when you dont have the original motor in the car. I got a bonded title for my 50 sedan delivery and had to make up a serial # for the DMV to put on the title.
  4. The engine number thing varies from state to state, in New York they're registered with the serial number on that tag.
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

  5. Stonebird
    Joined: Dec 19, 2008
    Posts: 83


    My 37 2 door sedan has been in the family since the mid 60s and was unmolested until I started work on it a few years ago. I have Iowa title with VIN starting 21GB and then 7 numbers. The tag with the vin is attached to the cowl above the aluminum trim tag. The aluminum trim tag is riveted on. The VIN tag is attached with a special socket headed screw. The socket in the screw head is kind of bell shaped. Don't know if this is a factory tag or something the state attached but it has been there a looooonng time. If there was paint or printing on the tag it is long gone, only thing left is the stamped VIN number. I don't think any of the my VIN numbers matched the trim tag numbers. But, like rustynewyorker said, I think it varied from state to state.
  6. haychrishay
    Joined: Jul 23, 2008
    Posts: 921


    that is the factory vin tag, those are called clutch head screws...
  7. Timo
    Joined: Jan 27, 2008
    Posts: 16

    from md

    These are on a sedan. I'm guessing that coupe would be the same. The lower tag in the pic of the cowl is the body style info tag. The upper tag on the cowl is the vin plate.

    Attached Files:

  8. squirrel
    Joined: Sep 23, 2004
    Posts: 37,091


    in that picture the tag that you see only the bottom edge of, is the VIN tag.

    I'm looking for a pic of the one on my 39

    edit: not much help, sorry!

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2013 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.