Register now to get rid of these ads!

'37-'41 Ford wishbone measurements

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chrisman, Aug 3, 2010.

1. chrisman

chrisman

I am on the hunt for a '41 wishbone, and have some conflicting info whether the '41 is a one-year only piece, or if it's interchangeable between '37-'41. I know it uses the same axle, so I'm wondering about its length.
    The frame on a '41 is longer, but I figured that the distance from front crossmember to ball mount may still be the same.

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks,
    Christer

2. chrisman

chrisman

Thanks, the problem is I don't have one to measure, and the car in question is one ocean and one continent away. So, I don't want to buy one now and find out later it won't fit, that's the reason why I want to eliminate the guessing part out of the equation. :)

3. RG49MERC

RG49MERC
    BANNED

all 37-41 bones are the same..they measure 44 1/2 inches the center of the ball to the center of the perch hole

4. chrisman

chrisman

Thank you for help, that will make the search so much easier!

5. Not entirely true, Mercury wishbones are longer, can't tell the difference except for the additional length.

40 Mercury 116" 40 Ford 114" wheelbase
    41 Mercury 118" 41 Ford 114" wheelbase

39,40 wishbone are 2" different between Merc and Ford
    41,42 wishbones are 4" different between Merc and Ford

As long as the wishbones are 44 1/2" you will be ok, just pointing out that there are different wishbones lengths under that same spring forward design.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  6. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Not gonna say that this is definitive stuff, but here's what I found by accident. A while back, I bought a complete front axle, brakes, spindles and wishbone at a swap meet that the guys said came out of a running '41. They were gonna put some kind of
    A-arm suspension under the car. I bought it for the brakes and spindles. I remember dealing the guy down to $45 for the complete assembly...pretty good deal nowadays. Anyway, took it all apart. I had a "KNOWN" '40 wishbone standing against the wall. Took the '41 wishbone and stood it up leaning against the '40 wishbone. It stood somewhere between 3-5" or so taller than the '40 bones. I couldn't believe it as I always thought the bones were the same '37-'41, as were the axles AND spindles. NOW...... MYSTERYpart 2! I later realized that this particular right (passenger side) spindle is different from '37-'40 spindles in one peculiar way. This spindle is a ROUND-BACK just like we all identify '37-'41 Ford spindles. It even has the "78" prefix forged into it like they all do, BUT.......instead of the tie rod hole AND the drag link holes both being tapered from the bottom, this one has the rear-most drag link hole tapered from the top. Of all the '37-'40 cars I've ever had anything to do with, BOTH holes are tapered from the bottom. Never fooled with a '41 in my life. Anyway, checked some of my stash and found one more round-back spindle with the "different" - tapered hole in all the ones I have. I've also seen one more since then at a swap meet. Now, since realizing that these "oddball" round-back spindles exist, I have noticed several "ODDBALL", bent drag links listed for 1941 Fords on eBay, making it POSSIBLE that at least SOME '41s used a different set-up than is found on '37-'41s. DD

7. BobPer

BobPer

Well, I read this post earlier today expecting the answer to be that they are all the same. I like a good puzzle, and since I have both kicking around, I figured I'd just go and measure them to confirm what I thought to be true. NOT the case. I have a complete front wishbone (axle, spindles, bla, bla, bla) from a '38 Ford and it measures 44 1/2" from the ball to one of the axle bosses, and then I have a wishbone that was taken from a '41 Ford woody wagon (saw it when it was still attached, and for sure a '41) and it measures about 49". Maybe these longer ones are more desirable for splitting. Well, that's my 2 cents. Bob

8. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Well, how 'bout them apples? I was startin' to thunk I had imagined what I had seen. NOW.....anyone got some interesting poop on the funny "round-back" spindles I mentioned above. BobPer...do YOU have the '41 passenger spindle to look at the taper of the two holes? Anyone else? DD

9. BobPer

BobPer

Here are pictures of the '41 spindles before I sold them. I can't tell which way the tapers were, and I didn't even think of looking at the time. Bob

Attached Files:

10. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

BobP...Hard to tell from the left pic but the one on the right sure does look like it's what I'm talking about. Can't tell ya how much I appreciate you making the effort to come-up with a possible answer to another one of Henry's mysteries. NOW.......anyone else ever stumble across any of these "oddball" round-back spindles? Like I said earlier, I own two of these and I've recently seen a third. Because of the close proximity below a '37-'40 wishbone, one of these spindles just won't work on a '37-'40. The drag link would interfere with the wishbone. I wonder if Bruce Lancaster might have any ideas on this? DD

11. chrisman

chrisman

Thanks, DD and Bob, you brought some interesting facts to the table. You see what I mean with conflicting info? Before I posted this I searched the HAMB archives and made some googling on the 'net, and when it comes to wishbones it's well covered except for the '41 which gives out a number of different measurements and descriptions. Somewhere it said it has a swoop like on '46-'48, an article in Street Rodder said it was just like '37-'40 but with a different ball dimension, and now we have two eye witnesses who can state it's clearly longer than the earlier models.

12. 55 Mercury

55 Mercury

On the 41 for wishbones I've had several that were the same legth as the 37-40 but there is a lite bend in them above the tie rod. I always thought that someone had bent a set of 37-40 bones but later found out this was factory bent. Also as far as spindles the 41 Ford round back spindles are taper reamed from the top on one hole like the 42-48 square back spindles. I have changed this on many spindles for guys.

13. V4

V4

From the Green Book:

Wishbone: 1937 - 1940 (car) and 1937 - 1941 (pickup) are the same.
    1941 (car) is different. Should have an "11A" marked on it somewhere.

Spindles: 1937 - 1941 (car and pickup) are the same.

I am sure there are exceptions (like noted above), but that is what the Ford parts book says.

14. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Thanks for your info, V4. I can't find my "Green". It would really be interesting to hear from a couple of "original car" '41 Ford owners. Got to be some of you guys on here, huh? Simple wishbone measurement and simple observation as to whether the drag link is on top, OR on the bottom of the spindle arm. DD

15. chrisman

chrisman

I took a drive to get to measure one personally. Just as DD and Bob stated, a '41 wishbone is 49" from center of ball to center of perch hole. They are straight like earlier versions, and the one I saw had a straight drag link that went in from the bottom.

[​IMG]

It's been an interesting discussion, thanks everyone.

16. mlagusis

mlagusis

Not to hijack, but since you guys are measuring, what is the shackle eye measurement from center to center on the 38 bones? Are the truck and car the same?

Thanks,
    Matt

17. I just listed some info on the parts below..bones are 48 1/2" long from center hole to center of ball...spindles have the 78 and a M...is this for a Mercury...posted somewhere above it is mentioned that the Mercs had longer bones...that would justify the M on the spindle??????

Attached Files:

• aab.jpg
      aab.jpg
      File size:
      282.9 KB
      Views:
    • aabbb.jpg
      aabbb.jpg
      File size:
      248.4 KB
      Views:
    • aa.jpg