Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 37-39 willys owners help please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Luke stone, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Luke stone

Luke stone

Can anyone help me out?
    Luke

2. elgringo71

elgringo71

I don't know but I will give you a bump

Sky Pilot likes this.
  3. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Luke let me look but it will take a few days I slipped on ice and fractured two ribs so I'm not moving fast

Pat

4. If you are using a 39 Overland frame, are you using the springs to match as this will give you a wheel base of 102'', not the 100'' of the earlier ones.
    I would just make my own to suit and match up the bushes. JW

5. Luke stone

Luke stone

Ouch hope your ok and that would be great thank you

I knew that but didn't even cross my mind. The only thing I could think of is to shorten the frame and move the mounts back the 2". I have found a pair of 40 springs as mine has speedway gasser springs on at the moment and I would make my own but I have absolutely nothing to work with. Ideally I would have liked to convert my frame to the 37/38 mounts as I can then use shackles and pivot bolts from a jeep and there easily available and I have the contacts as I also have war time jeeps. I have absolutely no idea what the shackle mount is like on a 37/38 as it's inside the frame and you never see any pics of it. I also have no idea where I would find the mounts.
    I have the original rear springs but they have some speedway shackles on and I right in thinking that they should be the threaded c type like a jeep? It's probably not the best of projects to have bought when it's so incomplete and I have little knowledge of prewar willys but I'm sure I'll get a handle on it

Luke

6. If you shorten the frame you will run into all sorts of problems with other things. From memory the wheel base was not extended on the front axle only but an inch at both ends. I have a front part of a 37 I can get pics for you and my 37 also. JW

7. Here is a rough front spring mount on what remains of a 37. It is a cast steel item and the rear mount is up in the chassis rail behind the boxing. I would use what you have and have new main leaves made with the centre bolt in the correct place to get the axle in the correct position. I had a 39 and a 40 chassis here until 6 months ago so I cant get pics of those shackles. They are very simple and I can draw a diagram if you like and bushes will be of a standard sizing so should be easy to match some up. I still need to draw up that hood latch for you but its a bit hard to get to my 37 at present. JW[​IMG]

8. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Luke this is what I have. Don't know year because I've had every year Willy's there is (33-41) the spring measures 36"eye to eye and the shackle measures 2"center to center.

Let me know, you can have whatever just pay the shipping

Pat

Attached Files:

elgringo71 likes this.
  9. Luke stone

Luke stone

Thanks for posting the pic I definitely have a 39 onwards so the spring pivots the opposite way around. I have borrowed a set of repro willys mb springs of my dad and fitted them to get an idea of what is what and I see what you mean about the wheelbase I think I will be having a top leaf made as you said with the locating hole of centre. Would appreciate a drawing of the bonnet catch when you can I'm not in a rush. Thanks again
    Pat I'm gob smacked at your generosity thank you, you don't come across that very often in today's world. I'm really just after the shackles as I have located a set of springs. I will pm you and thanks again.

10. I haven't forgotten the latch drawing but I cant get at my 37 at present as its in storage at a mates place and has crape stacked around it, but will soon. JW

Luke stone likes this.
  11. Luke stone

Luke stone

Been a while since I posted on this thread progress on my truck has been a little slow just bought a 40 deluxe sedan that is on the road to enjoy while I collect all the parts for the truck and also gives me a reference point to work with especially as my truck is my first hotrod project.
    I've been looking at steering wheels are there any other brand wheels of the same sort of era that fit the willys steering column? I'm not sure if I'm going to keep my original box yet but if I can't find another wheel to fit it then that would make my decision for me. My sedan has the 40 wheel on an aftermarket column but I have no clue what the column is and when looking at aftermarket columns they only state GM or ford
    Cheers
    Luke

stillrunners likes this.
  12. 1940Willys

1940Willys

To keep this thread and it's followers moving forward post up some pics of your new purchase 40 deluxe sedan. Luke check out a after market site called: Ididit they are a popular after market steering column Thanx

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  13. Luke stone

Luke stone

It's not really H.A.M.B. Friendly as I no a lot people on here aren't fans of patina so that's why I haven't posted any pics. It's not something I would generally go for but I don't have to worry about damaging it and I don't have to worry if my son goes near it with a spanner. If I keep it long enough it will get painted but I have a few other bits to do so I can just enjoy it for now this is the best pic I have excuse my other totally of topic vehicle behind

IMG_2682.JPG

Thanks
    Cheers
    Luke

14. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Luke I think it's outta sight! I love the 40 deluxe model Willys.

Pat

15. Cool to get an update and that 40 Sedan is very nice, also it is totally HAMB friendly so post as many pics of it as you like. JW

16. 1940Willys

1940Willys

Ya man yer hold'n out on us, post up some more of that beauty.

17. Luke stone

Luke stone

IMG_2220.JPG IMG_2215.JPG IMG_2344.JPG IMG_2788.JPG IMG_2359.JPG IMG_2219.JPG

Can anyone tell me if a willys wheel is the same fitment as anything else?

Cheers
    Luke

Stogy, stillrunners and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  18. Wow guys, I just came across this thread and it is very helpful, I pretty much have figured out how the latch system works but this answered the last questions that I had on just how it works. Great pics and yes I still have my real 38 2 door sedan it just got put on the back burner to build a 61 Chevy Biscayne 2 door sedan I have, I got tried of not having a running car and always having to ride with someone else to a run so I put the 61 together. Anyway back to the latch, I was also wondering how the VW latch would work and that has been answered also. It's great when we can help each other on our builds. I have both the latches, the all brass one and the brass with chrome plate. My idea is to incorporate the Willys handle with the VW latch, have the look but the better latch with the VW. I just thought I would post and thank you for the help to answer my concerns about the latch assembly's. Hopefully a Happy New Year to all and keep the builds going.

Luke stone and elgringo71 like this.
  19. Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    elgringo71 likes this.