Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '36, going against my ways

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36 Vick, Nov 12, 2014.

1. 36 Vick

36 Vick
    from Kerman, Ca

Thank you for the "Welcome". Sorry for the delay in response

Here's an update. Building new front rails. Pinch them in a bit

Should streamline the look of the front image.jpg image.jpg

volvobrynk and ABONES like this.
  2. 36 Vick

36 Vick
    from Kerman, Ca

FYI. The green tape on the hood represents the extension of the hood vents. The front line on the cowl is the new hood line. The rear tape on the cowl represents the door extension, after I add the suicide hinges

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Those will be some super nice lines!

4. RoadsterRod1930

RoadsterRod1930
    from NEPA

Didn't think I was gonna like it at first, but after looking at all the pics.... I think I can really get behind this, dig it

5. uncle buck

uncle buck

Your plans laid out with the tape really help with the challenge you are facing with the side view. Keep up the great work.

6. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I love anything 1936 Ford, this is no exception. Different? Yes. But it's working. Can't wait to see the progress.

7. telekenfun

telekenfun

I like what you have done so far. If you see my avatar, that's my 36/5 window. My chop is similar to yours with a slight wedge to it. I took a 3&3/8" section out of mine from stem to stern. It is in paint now and final assembly. I drove it for two seasons as you see it. Please allow me to express a few thoughts for your project that have come from my own build experience.
    My first comment is I'm curious as to the vertical section that brought the rear wheel opening so close to the rear of the door. You have set the channel perfectly at the front of the door. Next the bottom 'reveal' needs to follow the frame's sweep which it does pretty well to the rear. I would make a new piece for the bottom of the cowl that smoothly follows the frame rail forward. Next I would add extentions to the bottom of the hood sides or fixed panels attached to the frame rails like the original inner fender panel that would have that same lower 'reveal' shaped into them. This would provide a strong line to the bottom of the car. Next I think the rear wheel well and the 'reveal' needs to be cut loose and raised so the top/center of the 'reveal' sits about an inch &3/8 below the beltline 'reveal'. This will provide addition wheel clearance and make the wheel appear properly centered in its well. A suggestion for the tail end treatment might be to make the back of the wheelwell parallel with the tire all the way around. That would entail splitting bottom 'reveal' at the very rear center and adding an extra 6 -8 inches there. Fillers would be needed for the gaps created between the well's 'reveal' and the back panel, but that should be fairly easy if the cuts are well thought out. This mod would eliminate the pinched look the rear has now.
    The tape marks you've laid out show some very nice lines, however your plans set off alarms in me. Having cut thought that area and understanding what you may be getting into I recommend that you not attempt those mods unless you have the skills of a Marcel. Creating a new recess for the new hood line will be a tremendous amount of work. Likewise regarding reshaping the door frame et al.
    For a clue, I lengthened my louvers on my hood sides nearly identically to match the taped outline you have drawn on yours. Each hood side took a weeks worth of 'tig' welding. It took another week of 'tig' welding to shorten the grill and all those stamped steel bars. Getting too exotic could extend your build time out towards 3-4 years like mine took.
    It appears that you have the hood and grill well located to provide a nice straight alignment with this the beltline which I think is the absolute Must. No matter what changes you make please keep that alignment.
    I noticed some fresh metal on the sided of the grills lower sides. These pieces are where the lower 'reveal' can be terminated in, at the transition from the outside to the inside of the frame extention which really looks great.
    You have a great start going for an unusual 36 project. I hope my comments are helpful in your creating a great looking Hot Rod.
    Best regards and good luck with all your endeavors, KB.

8. 36 Vick

36 Vick
    from Kerman, Ca

Tha
    . Thank you for the positive feed back....
    Mock up panels have been designed to go between the hood side and frame. I've assessed the door extension and have a trick in mind that won't affect the door jam. As for the rear, I will be re-radiusing the wheel well. Not sure I want to raise it. I would... So I can lower the car, look cool. I wouldn't... So I can keep a back seat for the kids. So, it's a toss up right now

Should have front frame work done next week and will update with hood panel progress

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  9. Oh man, I gotta see the door jamb trick.
    I have one going ( link below) that would have the door treatment done if not for the door jambs

10. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Bad idea, good job. Moving the front tires ahead of the grille was the key to making the whole idea work.

11. 36 Vick

36 Vick
    from Kerman, Ca

Is that better or worse then a Good idea, Bad job?

12. 36 Vick

36 Vick
    from Kerman, Ca

Post that link again

13. Jim636

Jim636
    from Wyandotte

I am liking where this is going.......

14. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

How about if you kick the bottom of the grill out? With the windshield laid back as much as it I think the grill should match. Then you dont have to chop it and make it look squatty.

15. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Definitely better.

16. 36 Vick

36 Vick
    from Kerman, Ca

Little update, completed the front half of the frame. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

17. Johnny99

Johnny99

Nice, something a bit different. Radius the top rear of the door/B pillar where they meet. 33/34 style inner fender as mentioned would look great. Maybe mod a set from a 35/36 truck ? Probably a bit more affordable.My two pesos. Hi Bill and Dave.

John

18. 36 Vick

36 Vick
    from Kerman, Ca

Im on it.... The green tape lines represent future changes

19. Heyyyyyyyy!
    What's the details on the steering ?

20. 55willys

55willys

I have had an idea for a long time on the front treatment to deal with the narrow bottom of that type of grill. It is to use the headlight area out of a 37 fender and blend it into the grill and hood side area. This will close up the area that looks gaping under the hood. I would also shorten the back of the car to expose the rear end and not have it look like the back of the car is drooping. I like the concept and would like to do something similar if I could find the time. Jim Ford

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  21. 36 Vick

36 Vick
    from Kerman, Ca

Have yet to determine where the steering box is from. I got it with the car. Originally the pitman arm was below the frame rail. After I redesigned the frame rails, I needed to slot the frame rail for the pitman arm to work. Liked it better then lowering the box. image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
    Nailhead Jason likes this.
  22. 36 Vick

36 Vick
    from Kerman, Ca

A few couple updated pictures..

Looking for opinions or views on the rear wheel well. Did these 2 mock ups last night. Playing with options now, because things will be modified image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

23. 36 Vick

36 Vick
    from Kerman, Ca

24. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I like the way the pinch turned out. I was thinking about pinching all the way up and terminating with a suicide mount up front inside the grill area. You've given me more to chew on here.

25. 36 Vick

36 Vick
    from Kerman, Ca

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422546877.103297.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422546912.404896.jpg

He knows my name!

brEad and patmanta like this.
  26. nice work, that will be a swoopy look.

27. 36 Vick

36 Vick
    from Kerman, Ca

Building the filler panel between my hood side and frame rail. Spent my first time on a bead roller and shrinker stretcher. Thanks to Daniel Shuken at Shuken racing in Fresno

So, I'm hooked. Now looking at buying my own. Sounds like Shane over at Baileigh will get a sale this week. Keep you guys posted on that

Here is a few progress/mock up shots of the filler panel and future exhaust....

He knows my name!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  28. 36 Vick

36 Vick
    from Kerman, Ca

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422900246.624932.jpg

He knows my name!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  29. 36 Vick

36 Vick
    from Kerman, Ca