Register now to get rid of these ads!

36 ford pickup finally starting on it.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bajahumbug, Jul 9, 2009.

1. bajahumbug

bajahumbug

Hello All,

I am finally starting a 36ford pickup project after draging this car around with me for 30 yrs. It last ran in 1979 before I cracked the flathead block when I was a starving student.

In the mean time I have a transadapt adaptor for a SBchevy to the 48 transmission. and a SB I built so long ago it has leaded gas heads on it. and a universal Chev engine mount kit. also from Transadapt.

I have just started pulling some of the body off to go to a sandblaster to get into the noks and crannies, the grille and cowel louvers ... stuff like that.

IF any body has any words of wisdom espsecially about the engine mounting and converting the flat head radiator system over to a pressure one.... Debating whether I should start from scratch or recore? I thought I may want to keep the original radiator for the future????

anyway it will be a long time before I have to worry about that.

any comments would be appreciated in the meantime

mike

2. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

Without pictures you will not get many responses. Not trying to be a dick but this post reminds me of phone sex. If I cant see it then why would I want it. Post pics man.

3. bajahumbug

bajahumbug

Newly aquired grille and you can see the 48 frame doen't fit the fenders[​IMG]

4. bajahumbug

bajahumbug

I will figure out what I am doing with the pictures soon I hope none of them are too good.

[​IMG]

5. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

Seems to me you have a great start for a nice truck. I wopnt be too much of help as far as your question but Im a Ford man so I would say go with a 302 (note no SBC) or my favorite a FE engine and go with it. What do you want to do? Cruise, show, just get it on the road? Whats your plan with it first and then go from there. wispering voice: FE...FE....FE.

Do you have a side shot? Thing looks in great condition from what I see so far. I love those years as well. Keep the fenders and drop with some wide whites. Hell even the patina looks good on those years.

6. Can't wait to see your progress on this nice 'lil truck!!

Just keep us posted, we love pics ;-)

7. Uptown83

Uptown83

Neat.
    Do you plan to modify the frame so you can fix your fenders?

35-40 frames are pretty easy to come by and it would go together a lot easier with one.

8. bajahumbug

bajahumbug

I think I can modify the end of the frame that sticks out, the end looks like it is unnecessary for the mounting of the bumper. There is a heavy plate in the frame that the bumper mounts on and if I cut the top of the channel it back to that reinforcing plate the clearance looks like it should be ok.... even a little downward curve at the end.

Otherwise I may be looking for another frame.

9. bajahumbug

bajahumbug

This is what the fender and bumper mount area should look like. Rubber boots on this one are a little small (maybe they shrank but you can see what the opening was.) I may have to add and redo the edges since I have to fix the tears anyway or make an extra large boot to cover the hole in my fenders after I cut the frame back.
    [​IMG]