Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 36 Ford patent plate location

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36roadster, Jan 16, 2017.

1. image.jpeg I have one of these (or similar), and cannot figure out where they were originally. Also the small VIN? Tag which starts with a "68" 'which I am trying to find the right spot for.

2. phat rat

phat rat

Ford didn't have Vin tags. The Vin is stamped on the frame between the steering box and frt. X

3. J D Coop

J D Coop

This is where the tags are located on my coupe. Passenger side of firewall.

plates.JPG

4. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^^^ That's where mine are located, too.

5. phat rat

phat rat

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    oz40 and X38 like this.
  6. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't see where I (or J.D. Coop) said anything about a VIN tag being on the car. All we said was that the (2) referenced tags were originally mounted on the firewall. But your comments are correct, their were no VIN numbers back then, only serial numbers.

7. phat rat

phat rat

I took this to mean he thought the small tag was a Vin tag. Then you replied that that was where your tags were and didn't correct/answer his "Vin tag" question. Most hot rodders I know wouldn't be concerned about having those tags much less wondering about correct placement which was the other reason I felt you were both referencing Vin tags

8. The small tag is a body number, not a VIN (or serial number). The serial number should start with "18", not "68". Feel free to post a picture of what you are asking about. If you are interested in what is correct from a restoration standpoint you should get the book from the Early Ford V8 Club, https://www.earlyfordv8.org/Shop.cfm?id=18&pid=2 I used one of their books when I did my AVATAR, of course taking a few small deviations like the 4 cylinder Mercruiser engine, '39 trans, hydraulic brakes etc.

Charlie Stephens