Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 36 ford custom build (MISS SCARLET)

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by kippers 34, Jul 5, 2013.

1. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Nicely done modifications and a well presented report!

2. milkweed

milkweed
    from SLC UT

DID you get it driving and stopping yet???? I EXPECT A RIDE NOW.....

daddio211 likes this.
  3. daddio211

daddio211

Me first Milkweed! Of course I didn't do a damn thing to help....

Kipp, can't imagine the NERVES of moving that seat in and out, cutting and welding the floor on your freshly painted (by Milkweed) car! I'd be a nervous wreck!

4. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I was thinking the same thing. I'd have the whole thing dinged up by now. I'm saving up so I can buy a ride in Windover.:rolleyes:

daddio211 likes this.
  5. Shortly. Verry shortly!
    It sucks fabing after paint BUT that is the price you pay when you change things mid way on a build!
    I am positive she will be on the road by Speed Week one way or another!!!!!!!!!!!

daddio211 likes this.
  6. I have worked on finishing up the brake lines this week. After the flex hoses that mark had made came back about three inches shorter than they were supposed to. I decided to make hose retainers different than the ones that mark was going to use. Luckiley he hadent installed the retainers yet.
    I found a couple fourty ford front retainers that would mount on the side of the frame instead of under. then in my searching I came across the backing plates left over from a set of Buick finned aluminum drums I had bought. Score. The front worked perfect with the hose but now the hard line is a couple inches to short those need addressed. The rear needed a little tweeking. I heated the bends and flattened them out and then I located them and drilled the tab and the frame. The rear hard lines were bent a little and still fit perfect. the tabs look much better than the after market generic ones that mark was going to use anyway.

daddio211 and firepilot like this.
  7. Off topic to this forum but very on topic to this thread. Last summer I blew the engine in my wifes Vette. Being the under standing car guy wife that she is she said to finish the 36 and then fix the Vette so she got covered up in the corner for a wile.
    With summer here I had better get her running so I decided to take a weekend off the coup and put a new motor in her Vette.
    OOOOOOOOOPPPPPSSSSS!!!!!!!!
    I got the new motor in the chassis last night and started to hook her up. Today I will finish hooking her up so I can get back to focusing on the 36.

daddio211 likes this.
  8. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Big mistake... you blowing engine in HER car! You are lucky to have her!
    At the risk of spoiling her, I'd say "Thank you."
    Oh, and be dang sure not to let her get away!!
    Keep workin'
    Al

9. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Yep, Way better to get her Vette back together before she starts driving the '36.:(

cptn60 likes this.
  10. She wasent very impressed. But now about everything on the car is new now.
    No doubt.

11. Been working on tail lights after work so far this week it will be nice to start wireing.

daddio211 likes this.
  12. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Hey Kipp.....hows it coming? Will it be at Thanksgiving Point this weekend??

13. She is coming along great Eric. But not quite fast enough for Thanksgiving Point unfortunately.

14. I have been slacking on posting but I have been very busy trying to get her finished. I needed to get under her a lot and don't have a lift so I raised her way up on some heave duty stand I made while building my 34 pickup. Firs I needed to get the brakes finished. I finaly got the hoses wich still looked out of place. The ends were right but the hose was black braided so I put some black shrink tube on them and they looked better. so I installed them and then I got mark to bring his vacume bleeder over to get the brakes finished.
    After the brakes were buttoned up I assembled the emergency brake handle and installed it on the trans.
    The brake cables that I had were to short so I got some others that were longer and seemed to be useable and then I made a bracket to attach the cables to the stock brake handle and be adjustable wich was more work than I hed ever anticipated.
    After finishing the brakes I decided to install the bumper and the taillights, plate guard, and plate light and bracket. The rear is looking nice even though it is two feet in the air.

daddio211 likes this.
  15. Next it is time to mount the battery. I was originaly going to bolt a restored coke cooler in the trunk and then mount the battery and the fuel filler in the cooler. After looking at the cooler where I would have to mount it to use it for the fuel filler it seemed to take up far to much room to work properly. I decided to put the bat in to the floor behind the drivers seat. After a lot of thinking I cut a hole in my finished floor and started fabing.

daddio211 likes this.
  16. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Looking killer Kipp

17. Thanks Eric. Hopefully she will be on the road soon.

18. I had basic speedway batt holder sitting here so I decided to modify it to fit into the floor to attach the batt. it is recessed about three inches. This keeps it above the bottom of the frame bot allowes the top to be below the trunk level.
    I bought an ultima batt when I was thinking of just attaching it in the trunk so I wouldent risk spill/fumes so I might as well still use it. I wanted to seal the box from the interior so I built a frame for the top and then filled the sides with sheet metal then I left it open to the outside through the bottom.
    Now it can breath outside.
    While I was at it I also wanted to make a platform behind the seat to carry the trunk floor level clear to the back of the seat. this gives more trunk space and makes some storage underneath for a jack tools and other small things. I made a small frame around the perimeter with a removable front so I can still remove the tunnel over the overdrive.
    With a plywood top split in two pieces I now have a little hidden storage. While I was at it I also added anchors for the seat belts. Now I can clean everything up and reseal everything with another coat of bedliner. The bottom is nice and sanitary as well.
    Now I can start on mounting the fuel filler.

36 ROKIT, nitrobrother and The 39 guy like this.
  19. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

I like that flat trunk/storage area idea a lot!

20. Thanks. A friend did something similar in his to cover his air compressor/tanks.

21. I still hadent finished the fuel system so now seems like as good a time as any. I dident want anything on the fenders and I couldent think of any good way to mount a filler to the outside so in the trunk seemed like the only option. After abandoning the cooler idea I was back to square one. I really don't like in the trunk fillers so I needed to make it work but be able to keep the filler separate from the cabin. Four port reiley makes a really nice miller replica flip cap filler so I got one of them to use for a housing cap. First thing was to move the fill on the tank from the side to the top witch I had done while at Lockhearts. Next make a fill neck to mount to the trunk. I went to pick and pull and got a fill neck from a chevy truck then I got a push through cap so I diden have to try and reach down in to rmove the cap ( we'll see how this cap works) then I shortened it and made a bracket to hold it.
    So if fuel got spilled it wouldent puddle I drilled lightning holes in the mount then i made gussets and welded it up.
    Here is the filler mounted to the side support in the trunk.
    Now time to make an enclosure. So I bent up a box that fit over the hole in the trunk and the filler neck.
    I made the side bolt on so I could access the filler in the future if necessary.
    I made a hole in the top and mounted the flip cap then I mounted the housing in to the trunk. Now I can seal the neck from the cad by closing the cap and if the fuel spills while filling it is not in the trunk it is in the box that is open to the under side of the car. Hopefully this will keep the fuel vapors from getting inside the car.

firepilot, Outback, 36 ROKIT and 2 others like this.
  22. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Just better and better! That is a nice setup. I really like the bumper, tail lights, guard creation. Everything adds nothing takes away.

23. Thanks. Better and better BUT still a long way to go.

24. Nice job Kipp. That´s exactly the same idea I´m gonna use on the Merc I´m working on.

25. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

Am i the only one that never sees the pictures? Only what appears to be code and the words gallery

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. very neat and well thought out on the battery & fill neck mounts!!

27. daddio211

daddio211

Kipp puts his pics in his album then links them over. The app doesn't like it, so you have to open it in a mobile browser or from a pc.

28. It's the only thread I use my PC for.....

daddio211 likes this.

29. Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App![/QUOTE]

Thanks Kenneth. The merc is coming along nice.
    Unfortunatly the way I was shown ( By Brady and Ryan) dosent like playing with the HAMB app.
    Thanks. There was a bit of head scratching in the beginning but everything seems to have come out right.
    Thanks Eric.
    Some day I will become a little more computer literate but Im not sure.

daddio211 likes this.