Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 36 ford custom build (MISS SCARLET)

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by kippers 34, Jul 5, 2013.

1. 32coop

32coop
    from Australia

Hey is anyone else having trouble seeing the pics?
    I'm on my phone using the hamb app. Ps I still love this car.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

I can't see pics.i can't write posts, pretty bummed on the hamb

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. @Ryan pictures appear when using a browser but don't show up on either the Android or Apple app for me.

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'll do some checking on that.

hacknwhack likes this.
  5. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Hey Kip....how about an update?? We live through you lol

6. That would be greatly appreciated Ryan.

7. Sorry for the lack of progress updates Eric. I will get some picks up this week and bring everyone up to speed on her.

8. Whoah.....so a late arrival to an awesome build. Great finish work on the detail pieces......too numerous to list.....obviously. This is turning out splendidly sir. Wonderful work.

9. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I guess I could just stop by huh? I will give you a call in a couple of weeks (elk season!).

10. Stop by any time. The chassis is at home and the body is still at the shop until paint.

11. Ok I think that I will never be done block sanding but the body is in 3rd coat and ready to block again. The rear fenders dash and grill shell are in 2nd coat. I reinstalled rear fenders to check fit again. The front fenders are almost ready for primer. Hopefully this week.

12. The 39 steering box I acquired had the shaft and column cut off just above the box. So I bought a nos worm gear and then I took the 36 box apart in hopes that I could use the column and shaft in the 39 box. After heating the worm gear red hot I removed it with a BFH. As I had hoped the 36 shaft will work in the 39 worm gear. so I cleaned up the 39 box and powder'ed it. and ordered all new bearings and races from mac's to put her back togeather.

13. adam401

adam401

Oh man this is gonna be a sick car. Awesome job!

14. With 3 steps forward it's time for 2 steps back. Soooooooooo! I took a break and went to the Hot Rod Hillclimb in George town Colorado. I went with the Throttlers of SLC and had a hell of a time. Mike put on a hell of an event. If you read this thanks Mike. Hope you do it again next year.
    Now comes the problem. Tim drove Hells Mesanger from SLC to George Town ran the race and then drove home and was able to keep up at 65 to 75 all the way. So I talked with Larry Elmer and he is going to help me build my 53 merc engine so she will be radical as Hells Messanger. Then I started looking into an overdrive. I looked at a couple columbias but the price for a Columbia that needs built is crazy. I looked at overdrive tranny's and couldent find one with a floor shifter to work with the closed drive line.
    So I was looking at a Mitchel but the modifycations to the floor would be huge and I am not sure how much abuse it would take so I called Gear Vendors and they set me up with an overdrive that will install in my torque tube.
    Now I need to pull the torque tube and drive line back out to modify it and then change the flatty before I reinstall the body. On the bright side just like the Calori Coupe that is my greatest inspiration She will not only be a beautiful Tail Dragger she will also be a Hot Rod at heart.

daddio211 likes this.
  15. Thanks.

16. 32coop

32coop
    from Australia

Those mods sound like a great idea. It sure is looking good.

17. telekenfun

telekenfun

Kipp, It's KB here, I've anxiously awaited an update and glad to see you're progressing. The body and parts are looking very close to ready. You are right to want to make it keep up with traffic in the fast lane, especially if you want to drive it to the Lone Star Roundup. Tell us your build-up plans for the Merc. A Columbia would be great from a period correct point of view but the final gearing still may not get you where you can run 75 at around 2300rpm. 5 speeds and Gear Vender ODs will break with period correctness but will provide many options for your final drive ratio. I have been led to understand that late model 5speeds had gear selectors that could be relocated fore and aft to match the 36's stock location, and open driveline yokes from AAs are available to your banjo housing. I have read on HAMB of others contemplating the install of GVs on torque tube drivelines, and apparently GV has developed an adapter for your application. I have a GV in my 36 as well as the electronic black box that does the auto/man shifting. The setup works really well. In manual, the OD can be engaged in any gear, effectively making my 3 speed into a 6 speed, which comes in handy in traffic for selecting the ideal gear. In your application you can hide the black box so as not to offend the purists and a simple switch under the dash to switch it in and out.You'll love it. A 3.24:1 or 3.42:1 ring and pinion will get your final under 3.00:1 when in OD which is perfect for the freeway. I for one won't chastise you for breaking with tradition.
    As for my progress, I'm installing glass and working on the interior, while being wholly disgusted with the quality of products from some of our suppliers. That said, I plow on and hope to be finished in a couple months.
    Best Regards and good luck with all your endeavors, KB.

18. Go, man, go.

I have a three-speed-plus-overdrive out of a mid-70s Ford truck (RUG code I think?) in my '31 A-V8 coupe with 8.20-15 rear tires hung on a Bronco 9". Floor shift that looks like it's an early Ford. It loves the highway and the flatty is nice and happy.

MIKE STEWART likes this.
  19. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I went through the whole thread again and four hours later I had to call my doctor.:eek:

With your dash a '40 column shift would look good. With a Merc engine a '49-'50 Merc 3 speed OD trans would be good but they are open drive line. There was a Truckstill OD used on closed drive line Chevys. But your choice is a sound dependable and sane choice. Well as sane as we get.:rolleyes:

ronzmtrwrx likes this.
  20. Thanks. Getting closer,

21. Thanks KB.
    The Merc block and crank are at the machine shop and the parts ferry has visited. With the pistons here the block can be boared and the rotating assembly can be balanced. While waiting for that I will get the torque tube pulled and ready to go to the machine shop to be modified to accept the overdrive. Unfortunatly changing to open drive line would require many mod's to my finished frame and floor witch would be even more steps back than I already have taken.
    Glad to hear your 36 is getting closer but the snow has got to be flying up there by now.
    Good luck. Kipp.

22. Thanks for the info. Changing to the open drive tranny's that are avalible would take more mods and still deviate from period correct on some of them so for the sake of keeping the flatty happy I think the gear vendor will be the best compromise.

23. I considered the 49 to 50 merc OD. A friend has an extra that I could aquire for very cheap but with the mods required to the frame and floor and then changing my already chromed and ready to go column seemed a move in the wrong direction.
    Thanks as always. Kipp.

24. Wow Kipp.Christmas must have showed up rather early this year:).

25. daddio211

daddio211

Love the progress, love the plans! Someday, if I'm ever cool like you and the Elmer boys, I wanna hang out!

26. Thanks Eric. Everyone is talking fall cruse sat. 18th if you are in the area.

27. daddio211 likes this.
  28. daddio211

daddio211

Actually, I WILL be there! I think I saw some of the guys talking about it on FB. I'll get the details, and thanks for the reminder!