Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 36' Ford Bobber Truck or 36' Fordor Convertable?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gasr57, Dec 19, 2008.

?

Truck or Roadster?

Poll closed Dec 26, 2008.
  1. Truck

19 vote(s)
    30.6%
  2. Roadster

43 vote(s)
    69.4%
  1. Gasr57

Gasr57
    from Ohio

Possible direction change in project. I started gathering parts to build a 36' Ford truck and have almost everything to complete it already, but last night I friend called that has a complete 36' fordor sedan body that I could probably get for a very resonable price and It got me thinking about how cool it would be to cut the top off and make a fordor roadster with a duvall windshied. What do you guys think? I'm torn I love trucks but have always wanted a roadster. Either one would would be built in a 40's-50's lake style hot rod very traditional. Truck would run full hood with shortened bed high boy stock wheel base. Car would be channeled high
    boy. Note: Fordor has roof damage is the reason for cutting it off. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Additional Info.---------------------------------- Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply to this post I guess the word "bobber" wasn't the right word to describe the truck so I have removed it from the description. It really would be just high boy style with the bed shortened about 10"-12" with a Bonneville style chop and 36' car hood and grill. Either project will be built with most of the parts coming from the left over parts piles of friends. Just trying to save some old tin most of the stuff isn't good enuf to use on a REALLY NICE project but is still too good to scrap. Neither would be a hacked up mess I have too much respect for this old tin and as some would probably say a little bit of a retentive perfectionist :D. Proportions are everything and no amount of fancy paint, wheels,or chrome can "fix" a car that has bad proportions.Thanks Again. Everyone have a SAFE & HAPPY HOLIDAY

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  2. Go with the Fordoor! Sounds cooler than a Bobber truck.

3. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Do the roadster......chopped, Carson top.......Westergard, oh yeah!

Quite a few 4 door cars were done as customs in the 40's.....

4. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

They both sound like a horrible idea. but I guess if anything build the truck.

5. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

a full fendered 4 door 36 open car would be alot more respected then a "bobber?" truck
    to me its more of a real vehicle

it will be alot of work thinning all doors and rolling the cowl
    you might want to consider making it a 4door convertible with roll up windows as they make very nice customs also

good luck in any case
    Zach

6. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

Fordor... And I think it should be done as a taildragger... ;)

7. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

ANY 4 door is better than a bobber truck....

8. I knew a girl we called Bobber.

9. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Build the truck, don't call it a bobber, call it a lakes truck, run a hood.

A fordor roadster/convertable looks like a bathtub with wheels, yuk.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  10. kustomkat

kustomkat

Say NO to anything called a bobber unless it refers to a bike. I like the idea of the moredoor roadster, go the kustom approch.... Think "Black Dahlia" one of my favorites....

11. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

whats a bobber truck?

12. A-Wall

A-Wall

who the hell came up with this bobber name? if its hotrodded nice, call it a hot rod, if its a rigged pile throw it in the ratrod catagory,,,

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

nothing I hate worse than a 4 door with the roof cut off and made into a "roadster".

most bobber trucks are a close second.

14. DirtyDan

DirtyDan

Please add "neither" as a choice on your poll.

15. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I always liked bobber trucks...

16. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

what he said x 2

17. DanCollins

DanCollins

don't do the truck unless you're willing to pony up for some fenders.....but either way a 36 foot long truck will be crazy looking. For that matter so would a 36 foot long fourdoor.....

18. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

The thing is maybe it would just be easier in the long run to build the 4 door into a mild custom or semi stocker. Its going to take so much work for the 4 door tub not to look like a pile of shit. your going to get pissed off and try to sell it, but people arn't going to share your vision and it will end up in the scrap pile.

19. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

NOTHING looks cool with a Duvall windshield...especially four door "roadsters"!

Now, a Fordor driver would be kinda neat...you know, with the roof still on it and all...

20. HAHAHA!!

Not really digging either choice.

21. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Build them both...just don't cut the roof off that fordoor...

22. nmbuellist

nmbuellist

Fourdoor for sure--

23. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Not this shit again ?!?!?!?!?

24. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

[​IMG]
    There is not much roof on a 4-door since the center is all fiberboard and wood.
    So if you can't fix the roof,
    then rolling the door tops, windshield and the rest of the cut-off line won't be any easier,
    in addition to stiffening up the body since it will have no strength at all.

TP

25. That's exactly what I was thinking! :D

... and BTW, a '36 Ford Fordor Sedan:

[​IMG]

... with the top cut off wouldn't be called a "Roadster" ... though with enough bodywork, you might get away with calling it a "Phaeton":

[​IMG]

26. brewsir

brewsir

Screw the naysayers....Definately build a phaeton ....IF you have the skills to make it look right.....just like the one hemi32 just posted....roadster windshield ,curved dash,thin the doors...just takes a little dedication and skill and time!

27. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

cut them both in half then weld em together.. make a caruck.

28. VonKool13

VonKool13

Roadster!! The bobber trucks are cool but there are ALOT of them now, not many 4 door phaeton '36s though!

29. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

If your going to build the truck with stock wheel base how about this idea since BoBBer Trucks are FUCKING GAY & if you dont spend a good amount of time & $$ to do a PERFECT PERIOD 4 door Carson top Westergard build they will both look like Luke Warm Dog Shit.

Take your Truck Cab & STOCK length bed WITH fenders & put the entire '36 Pass Car front clip on it.

Build a TRUCK with FENDERS !!!!

Can i stress this enough !!

Build a TRUCK with FENDERS !!!!

If you have the skills & parts to build an 'Ol Stool Shit Box .... You have the skills & parts to build a Cool Hot Rod Pick Up !

See if you can find a Pic of Alonzo Buerrgo's '41 Ford truck with a '39 DeLuxe Car clip on it, He was in the AUTO BUTCHERS in the late '90s ..... It was a Hot Rod in the '50s and still it's around

30. milkweed

milkweed
    from SLC UT

i like the idea of a phaeton trucks are all over