Register now to get rid of these ads!

36 chevy truck missing the bed, what years will fit?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willys_truck, Mar 31, 2009.

1. willys_truck

willys_truck

I just bought a nice 36 low cab chevy truck that is missing the bed and rear fenders, what year bed and rear fenders will work on the truck? I am not that familar with the 30's chevy truck, I know they used the same bed and fenders on several years besides just the 36?? thanks

2. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

You will never find one...just send the truck to me and I will resolve the issue:D.

I thought the bed sides were 34-36?? and the front close out and the tailgate will fit later years. Try Chevs of the 40's for a better description.

3. KJSR , your right, 34-36 used the same bed, they got bigger in 37. As for the fenders, 34-36 are the same. The 36 fronts are a one year only item as they are skirted where the previous years were not. Why not just find someone with a break , get some tubing and buy repro stake pockets and make your own, there is not much to those early bed sides, certainly would be much cheaper and more fun than buying overpriced repros. Mitch

4. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The '36 low cab was the same as the '37 & '38 trucks and used the same box as the '37 & '38 trucks, I believe.

5. Willys, if you are going to keep the stock rear suspension and lever shocks, the bed sides have a small indented area above the wheel for shock clearance. This indent is only necessary for stockers. They make it a real pain when you go to replace the angle pieces on the bed sides for the boards, i had to cut,notch and reweld them to get them to fit as the only ones available in 80 when I built mine were straight . Also, I made my own front panel and tail gate out of sheet metal, real easy to do and it allows you to fashion any type of latch mechanism that you want instead of chains. Mitch

6. No , cause the 37 had the gas tank in the cab where the late 36 like mine has it under the bed. Also the 37 used larger sweeping fenders instead of the slimmer fenders of the 36. The bed on the 37-38 is actually longer , although I'm not really sure by how much. I suppose that with a bit of work you could make it or even probably a ford or dodge bed work. Mitch

7. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

If your looking for an exact replacement, as was mentioned, use a 34-36 bed. If you are looking for something you could use/rework, I think that with minimal rework, 34-39 (and maybe later) could be used. The 37-39 beds were longer.

The earlier beds, 34-46 (and early 47) were 48 1/2" wide. The stake pockets were the same 34-39 and are available from:

https://www.mackhils.com/mack_products/cart/index.asp?CategoryNo=26

The late 47 bed looked like the later beds and was wider, at 50".

8. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Those angle peices are available from Mar-k. I got mine in stainless and all things considered they were pretty cheap....

9. willys_truck

willys_truck

Thanks, guys This info will help me out. Now, does anyone know where a 34-36 bed or just the bed sides are?

10. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

It would be an easy bed to build, if you decide to go this route let me know. I could come up with some dimensions for the bed sides. You could buy most of the rest of the box, or make them yourself as well.

11. I had a '34 Chevy and with a little cutting and welding put '50 Ford F1 bed on it and nobody noticed . Almost anything will work with a little help that is 50's or earlier

12. willys_truck

willys_truck

Ok, guys. I found a old chevy bed today, that has been made into a trailor. I could not get a close up look at it today, but from a distance, it looks right. Does anyone have any dimensions, that I could carry with me to make sure the bed is a 34-36? I know that the gas filler hole in the pass. side of the 35-36 bed's will give them away. how about a 34 bed, do they have the gas filler hole in them? If this is the right bed it will save me a lot of time and money.

13. Alright Willys, here we go:Total bed length-73 1/4",,,total INSIDE width-45 3/4",,,total height of sides- 20 3/4",,,top of bed to angle bend-14",,,center line of gas filler hole to rear of bed-21 1/2",,,center top bolt hole for fender to rear of bed-41 3/4"... I hope this helps you in your quest. Good luck, Mitch.

14. willys_truck

willys_truck

Thanks, Mitch Hopefully I can go check the bed out tommorrow.

15. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

16. Fordcragar, my 36 has the original bed on it and those are the measurements i got. I think that maybe MACKS is wrong, wouldnt be the first time a parts supplier got something wrong ! Good hunting Willys, hope you find what you need. Mitch

17. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

It's possible that Chevrolet put an earlier bed on your truck from the factory, it wouldn't be the first time that they did that; especially during the early 1930's to use up parts that were unused from earlier years.

I'll be home tomorrow and will measure the beds that I have; I know that I have about 5 or 6 beds, 1936 or 1937/8.

18. It's possible, but the fenders,running boards splash aprons ,etc. all line up and fit the way they should. Anyway, I've been around other 35-36 trucks with the same identical beds. I would have to say if chevy used an earlier bed on my truck they would have to either modified it or the frame as the frames were different from 32-33 to 34-36. Oh Well.

19. willys_truck

willys_truck

One more question, did any other chevy truck beds had the gas fill hole in them, other than the 35 and 36?

20. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

1937 and 1938 were in the cab, under the seat. I'm not sure what the earlier models had.

21. cancerous lump

cancerous lump
    from hell

any bed will fit with enough time on the smoke wrench.Come on pal youre a hot rodder arn't you.

22. willys_truck

willys_truck

Nice first post, chief. Saves time and money to get the right bed, if I cannot find the right bed, then I will start "making" a bed fit. thanks

23. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

24. robertrj

robertrj

My 36 bed is also 45 3/4

25. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I measured the beds that I have and they are all 45 3/4" wide. The 36 bed is 73 1/2" long.

When I posted the earlier post, the data I referred to was from one of the bed manufacturer's website, which was incorrect; I contacted them this morning and they were surprised that no one else had caught the typo on the website before.

Here is some data that I collected on these boxes.

Basically all Chev bedsides have the same end profile from 1934-1953; the difference is the circular feature or tube at the top and the height of the cross section (bedside).

The early bedsides had an approximately 1 3/8" diameter and the later bedsides had an approximately 1 5/8" diameter tube or circular feature. This change happened in about 1940, but could have been as early as 1939 or as late as 1941; depending on where the truck was built or when they used up all of the earlier parts.

The 1934-1939 bed was 45 3/4" wide.
    The 1940-1946 bed was 48 1/2" wide.
    The 1947-1953 bed was 50" wide.