Register now to get rid of these ads!

354 Poly versus 440 - which is heavier?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GregCon, Sep 4, 2012.

1. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

I weighed an all iron 1958 354 Poly engine, with accessories, and an all iron 440 (except the aluminum intake but with a rolling dolly). The scale is calibrated.

Attached Files:

2. The poly, its just a baby hemi with the cheap heads.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I'd guess that the 440 is heavier. The block on a Chrysler hemi/poly, when stripped bare is hardly bigger than a Chevy block.

The 440 series blocks have a heavy cast in timing gear housing that would ad several pounds to the block.

The difference in intake manifolds may give the edge to the 440.....but I'll stick with it out weighing the poly by just a few pounds.

Ray

4. Cerberus

Cerberus

The Poly is heavier by about 20 pounds.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Could you actually read the scale on the poly :confused: or are you just supposin' ?:p

I'll wait 'til the OP reveals the facts.............:D

Ray

6. 23reotim

23reotim
    from arizona

7. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

poly by 49 pounds m/l 652 vs 701

right click on the pictures and select "open in new window"

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

hmmmm..........I DID forget about the big (heavy) water pump manifold on the poly......... :(

Ray

9. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

Sorry, the poly is kinda dark but it reads exactly 700lbs.

The comparison is not exact as the engines are in a slightly different state of assembly but it's close.

Neither has oil in it, and both are wearing their OEM iron water pumps and iron housings.

The scale is calibrated by a national firm that does a lot of high-end work on test and calibration so I know it is quite accurate.

10. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

526" Hemi with siamese bore iron block and Stage V aluminum heads, Indy intake but no accessories or small parts.

606lbs.

Attached Files:

11. TR is right. No need to go further.
    Question is which do you want to build. Dollar for Dollar the 440 is the least expensive dollars per HP engine probably in the world. Poly or Windsor block can be converted for Hemi heads . A bit awkward but not really difficult however will it be able to make the HP of a good 440 in mild trim? I would be very surprised. That said there is nothing like the look of an early Hemi. The weight difference probably isnt enuf to be concerned about.
    Don

12. storm king

storm king

Indy had a cool 440 based motor at PRI. It made over 700 Hp & over 900 ft/lbs on pump gas and weighed 60 lbs less than a small block chevy! (Aluminum INdy Max Block) It ROCKED!
    No matter, the 440, set up simple and right with mostly Mopar parts, is just one of the baddest engines on the planet.

13. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

The 354 is out for a rebuild and change over to Hemi heads. Then it goes back in the car it was born in back in the Los Angeles Chrysler plant in 1958.

Attached Files:

14. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

complete 8-3/4" Chrysler rear end with drum brakes 212lbs.

Attached Files:

15. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Hopefully you can post the weight of the 354 with the hemi heads for comparison.

hp per dollar? 440 far and away the better choice.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Very nice car and (I think) you are making the right choice for the engine. Congratulations on both.

Ray

17. The 440 can also be convereted to hemi heads if you can find 426 heads. I have done both, you have to put an external drain on the B/RB.

I like Polys but for power to weight ratio I would take the 440 hands down.

Now if I were building a traditional rod and had to hit an era maybe the 440 would not work, but it is worthy of mention that the 440 can be dressed to look like a 413 or an early tall deck 383.

18. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

I really only posted the 440 for weight comparison purposes; I've never considered using one in the '58. I've had more 440 cars than I can remember so I don't need yet another. Plus, IMO a '58 Chrysler should have a Poly/Hemi engine in it without exception.

19. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

Well, the engine is back in the car today after the usual rebuilder cluster-fluck*. I weighed it and you can see the results, though of course the state of assembly is a bit different and the Hemi version has the engine stand adapter bolted to it which probably weighs a good 10lbs.

I also re-did the whole front accessory drive and added an AC compressor.

*Never again will I have someone rebuild an engine for me! I can do it better faster and cheaper.

Attached Files:

20. Don't most iron block/head V8 engines weigh between 600 and 750 lbs?

21. What is that funny looking gold thing on the right side of the motor? never seen one of those in 58!

22. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

That gold thing is going to be black soon. But, it is what we call in Texas a life support system.

23. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Known to cause serious sphincter clinching on unlearned passengers... :D

24. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Great looking engine............

Ray

25. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

How did your car run after the conversion? I am currently buying a 354 Poly. But I may have to Hemi it. It is missing some parts. I am getting a 331 Poly too... Perhaps I can get that engine running.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app