Register now to get rid of these ads!

354 HEMI Intake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffreyJames, May 14, 2008.

1. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I was just making sure that a 354/392 Hemi intake will work on my 331. Is this correct?

2. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

You have a 51 extended block J.J?
    I do not think so.....I remember something about deck height or coolant passages.... what year is the intake?

I am not quite sure......

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A 392 is a "high deck" block. They are not DIRECTLY interchangeable. HOWEVER... there are shim plates available to make it happen. I think HHH sells them. If it's a 354 intake you are probably okay. The thing you need to look at is the water provisions. Chances are a 354 intake will not have the thermostat housing built in because they generally had them in the water cross-over. That would screw your plan if your 331 does not have the water cross-over out front of the heads. There are variations depending on if it's industrial/truck/marine also though. Just really depends on what you have.

Do you have a water crossover?

4. Last i checked a 331 manifold will work on a 392 and vice-versa. The spacers that you are reffering to are for using low deck (331-354) heads in high deck (392) blocks. Chrysler did not change the dimentions on the intake manifold when the developing the 392. Thay made up the differance on the cylinder heads.
    P.P. scotter is dead on about the thermostat housing. unless you have a the water crossover on the front of the heads you'll have to figure a way to get the water out of the heads.

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yes Mr. Norwell, I do have a '51 with the extended block. So is my deck a low or high? I know that I want to run 3 Deuces and this is the first one I have seen come up for sale so I offered the seller money on a whim. Are there adapter in case it does not fit?

Weiand 3 x 2 Chrysler
    [​IMG]

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Man I feel like I am way over my head on this shit. My head is spinning when we start talking about the water crossovers. I guess the only way to learn about engine's is to dive in head first. I just don't want to pass up the opportunity to have an intake like this on my engine.

7. That intake will work with a slight modifacation. Brian Bass has the four duce version of that intake on his '54 331. Here is a picture of how he set up the water crossover and thermostat.

Attached Files:

8. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Or run without a thermastat and dump the water straight from a drilled and tapped manifold straight into the rad with different inlets soldered on, not recomended but would work

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dammit! You're right! I keep getting mixed up! I've been looking at head swap info so much that I got stuck in that frame of mind. That's like the third time I've done that and I think it may have even been you that correct me before! HA! :eek:

Please dissregard any and all advice recommended by scootermcrad.

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Rad!!! Now I just have to stay ahead of the pack and hope that this intake does not get crazy out of control on EVIL BAY!!!! My first born may not be able to go to college if that happens. Thanks guys, I'll keep you updated to tell you if I got it. Then I will have a whole other bag of questions to unleash here on the HAMB!

11. 73RR

73RR

1. Physically it will bolt on to the heads.
    2. You will have a giant port mis-match.
    3. You will not have a t-stat.
    It is possible to plumb in a remote t-stat. Make sure that is is located, elevation wise, above the cyl head. This will keep fluid in the heads instead of trapped air.

12. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

That 3 deuce intake is RARE.....
    Tuck had one a while back and it brought good money

I thought 51-53 extended blocks were low decks......I know in 54 they used both(extended and non extended)...I assume Chrysler was using up surplus.
    In 54 on the non extended blocks... the heads had a bigger cc chamber as Slayer has stated.
    I am not sure if the deck height was changed in 54 on the non extended blocks....

I am sorry J.J.....

But DAMN.....Get that intake!!!!!!!..... they are the coolest!!!!!!

13. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Well there ya go!:)
    cool beans!.

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Awwww son if a bitch!!! If there is a misalignment is there a point even running it? Is there I place where I can buy a intake (that is meant for this engine) that may have been used in 1952?

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

What did they use in Indy or the couple Hemi Dry lakes car that were around at that time (1952)

16. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Prolly a home made u fab....I know on the Mad Fab I.... where Tuck and Bleed and company fire Tucks hemi,, it had a home intake......... that was neet

17. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Talk to Matt at lakeheaders.com.....he may be able to help

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Hmmm, I may have watch it for the 50th time!!!! I was figuring it would have been a backyard deal even though I wanted the three deuce intake that I am bidding on. I also figure that they may have just run them as is with the stock intake on there because it was a shit load of power to begin with.

So, more then likely not sand casted but more of a tube type intake? I kind of want my car to mimic one of the earliest guys that used that engine when it came out. I am going to watch MAD FAB 1 tonight. Thanks Jeff, -Jeff

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Oh and when I say shit load of power I mean for the day. I think it was 180 Hp and 308 pounds of Torque?

20. 73RR

73RR

Edmunds made alot of 2 x 2 intakes for the 51-53 small port heads, and 1 or 2 3 x 2 units. Not long ago a 2 x 2 sold on ebay for something shy of $600:eek:.
    The port mis-match of the 354-392 intake will not kill street engine performance but it certainly is not ideal.

21. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Jeff.... do some research on the Cunningham C-3's and C-4's....
    I believe those vintage race cars ran extended bells and had a unique 4 carb log set up

They were gorgeous......

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I know I seen that one. Bass was selling a four pot manifold at the time and I kept on saying four is better then two. Man, am I kicking my self in the nuts for that. If I knew what I know now I would have made a jump on that Edmunds intake.

23. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Log type manifolds. That's what they were called. I could not think of the correct term for the life of me. Cool I will start looking up those tonight.

24. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Ah HaH! Thanks Norwell, this may be the ticket. C-3 Continental circa 1952.

[​IMG]

25. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

26. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Now your talking.....
    I have some more pics.

hold on

27. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Swifty was da man!
    REAL American Sports cars outta west Palm!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Sorry.I got carried away....

here are his Zenith 1 barrel down drauft set ups.... extend bells....

I was reading hes was making around 325 hp at the time... that was alot in 52-53
    he also ran 5 speeds...I wonder what kind of trannys he put together?

An Amazing guy....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

And yes, I stole these off a google search..... Sorry Mr Google

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Cool!!!!! What I would really like to find is some more information about the 1952 Kurtis Kraft Hemi Roadster that got banned from INDY. And what was he using in that car in terms of intake? Probably the slickest Log manifold ever!