Register now to get rid of these ads!

354 HEMI in an engine stand DOs and DON'Ts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Apr 27, 2013.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've actually moved enough crap out of the way to get to my 354 HEMI, what are the do's and don't's about puting it in an engine stand? :confused: Thanks! Bob

2. ChopTopJimmy

ChopTopJimmy

Make sure you have a heavy duty engine stand. Those early hemis are HEAVY. CTJ

3. If I remember correctly 775lbs without the intake .

4. Nitrobaron

Nitrobaron

354 should be a conventional block, no exteneded belhousing. With heads, iron intake and such it will be heavy, so first off, you will want a good heavy duty stand, preferable a 4 wheel type, not a 3 wheel tricycle tipper. No Cheapie HF deal for this.

The two top bolts will carry the most stress, so clean the bolt holes and run a tap to clean the threads. You want a bolt long enough to give good thread depth for strength.

The lower holes, one side is tapped and the other side is a thru hole, so have a long enough bolt with a washer and nut ready for that side.

Other wise, handle with care as with any big block weighted engine.

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Be sure and use a stand with a wide wheel base and 4 roller coasters - 2 of which swivel. The larger dia. of the casters , the easier it is to roll. Make front engine supports that bolt to the block and extend downward to a 2 x6 placed across the two engine stand legs.

Attached Files:

6. Nitrobaron

Nitrobaron

Another thought, the heads are obviously heavier on the Hemi than most conventional engines. Try to eyeball the center of gravity, the point your stand will rotate the engine around the post. Adjust the attachement arms so that rotation point is through that estimated CL so it will be easier and less tippy to rotate with the heads on.

I see too many guys try to center on the crank center line and end up unbalanced, with too much weight above the CL, and the thing rotates fast after it gets off center. Result, engine on the floor, Boom.

7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

There is nothing wrong with a 3 wheeled engine stand, as long as it is built heavy duty and the rear spread on the wheels is at least 36", I built this one out of 3" pipe. I usually mount the engines, with the pivot lined up right around the cam line on the block.

Attached Files:

8. BashingTin

BashingTin

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

10. 19Fordy

19Fordy

11. 19Fordy

19Fordy

37kid, I still say "go with 4 wheels. it's nice to know that if you bump a pebble or a nut and bolt on the floor, it won't tip over.