Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 354 Hemi Engine Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tartar_sammich, Sep 2, 2016.

1. George

George

practice, practice, practice....

loudbang, tartar_sammich and els like this.
  2. Leave the valley cover off for this. With the gear installed and the cam in place, lower the shaft into place and turn the engine over and the shaft gear will eventually mate with the cam gear. Then, install the distributor and check where the rotor is pointing. Unless you are the luckiest man alive, it won't be pointing anywhere near the right direction. You will probably have remove and replace the shaft several times until you can get the rotor to point towards the #1 wire on the distributor cap @ about 10 degrees BTDC. Having a priming shaft helps with this because you can turn the oil pump shaft independently of the rest of the engine. I'm confusing myself just thinking about this, if I messed up let me know.

loudbang likes this.
  3. neonhorse

neonhorse
    from arlington

loudbang likes this.
  4. Jus to clarify, when I say 10 degrees BTDC, I mean during the compression stroke of the #1 cylinder, so you’ll need to have your cylinder heads and pushrods installed as well. It’s just like timing any other engine for initial start-up, except the intermediate shaft is kind of a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.