Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 354 Fire Power Rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Niksramjet, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Niksramjet

Niksramjet

Hey Guys-

I picked up a 354 Hemi over the weekend, and while it seems to be in decent shape I have decided it could use a little rebuild or at the very least some freshening up. I know PAW used to be the go to for hemi stuff that was priced well- Curious if there are any others out there with good prices. LOL- I know hemi and cheap don't go together...but I'd like to find the best bang for the buck.

Thanks in advance!
    Nik

2. BradinNC

BradinNC

I have had good luck with Northern auto. You can customize their rebuild packages with performance cams, better gaskets,upgrade bearings,oil pump, etc.

3. hot heads hemis in north Carolina. they have a full catalog of parts. from a stock rebuild to a blown nitro engine they have you covered. they have been around a long time with a good reputation. good people to. my go to choice.

loudbang likes this.
  4. BradinNC

BradinNC

I just double checked Northern, they don't stock anything for the 354 but a few small items. Kinda surprising.

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

My neighbor @73RR will point you in the right direction on your Hemi rebuild.
    He is a good source for "alternative" parts too.
    BTW, my pal Terry (RIP), did a 57 Chevy some years back, put a 2x4x354 Hemi in it.
    Really came out nice, used a lot of Hot Heads products.
    Having said that, you need to consider the look you want to achieve for your engine based on the overall "theme" of the car. Most of Hot Heads products are very nice looking and of high quality but will not give you a "period" vibe under the hood.
    For instance; your profile page says you have a 33 Dodge four door, do you plan on putting the 354 in it?
    If I had a cool old Dodge like that; my approach would be to make the engine look as if it was a 1954-58 Chrysler takeout engine with some dress-up parts from the 50's/60's, such as chromed oem rocker covers, oem 2x4 intake/carbs/air cleaner, etc.
    Even a single four setup would look pretty sano in there.
    I recall seeing a 1930ish ?Dodge? Coupe some years back at the CHRR in Bakersfield.
    The car was somewhat "rough around the edges" (my kind of car), but it had a Hemi in it like I described above, and it was quite memorable.

6. George

George

hemi Tech Index Start reading!!! "73RR" is Quality Engineered Components.

loudbang likes this.
  7. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Don't be afraid to shop around.

falcongeorge and hipster like this.
  8. 73RR

73RR

X2...
    Highly recommend that you shop for whatever pieces you may need.

hipster and loudbang like this.
  9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Commendable restraint in bidding for the business......very Gentlemanly.......:)

Ray

10. Niksramjet

Niksramjet

Much appreciated guys- I spent the day pulling it all apart and now I'm at a loss- all the numbers I have been able to find so far don't correlate to anything that jives with what I was told about this thing lol. The number stamped in front of the valley appears to be ok 189382, and the number cast into the block between the head and valley on the passenger side is: 1551629-2 k294. If it was like a Pontiac then it would be Nov 29 1954 (EARLY 1955) but I'm not so sure with Hemi's...and that wouldn't make it a 354 either :(

Any info would be appreciated- I know some of you guys are Hemi gods- I've been lurking a bit :)

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

There should be a prefix to that number in front of the valley cover......such as NE56 or CE56, if from a passenger car. Or, M45S-3 or M45SP-3 if Chrysler Marine.......or a code beginning with VTxxx or L8xx or M8xx if truck sourced.

331 passenger hemis ('54/'55) C541-8, C542-8, NE55, CE55

edit: just found the #1551629 appears to be a '55 model block

Ray

12. Niksramjet

Niksramjet

I thought there was supposed to be more to that number HOWEVER... nothing to be found:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Niksramjet

Niksramjet

Additionally- more and more its looking to be a 55 331 with a factory 4 barrel... Anyone else have an idea?

14. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

Easiest way to tell if its Chrysler is look at the rocker stancions. they have one side inboard and the other outboard of the rocker shaft. All other hemis have them outboard. Perhaps you have a Desoto 330.

15. Hot Heads good place to start . I used them . here's 082.jpg IMG_0442.JPG IMG_0443.JPG my 354.

loudbang and Nailhead Jason like this.
  16. 73RR

73RR

I have previously identified the 1551629 as a 1954 block, however, the photo looks to me to show
    1551829 which I do not have catalogued.
    Additional photos might be nice.

As to the numbers on the front, remember that MotherMopar sold blocks, as well as complete engines, across the parts counter as replacements. These blocks did not have any stamps at that point.

17. Niksramjet

Niksramjet

Well crap lol, either way its not s 354 which is what I was told it was. Appreciate it greatly guys, I'm drinking from a fire hose here and trying to soak it all in. The previous owner swears it come out of a running imperial that he thought was a 56 but could have been a 55.

loudbang likes this.
  18. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

First thing to learn when buying a hemi is they are all 392s, until you get them home. Guys selling hemis only know one number 392

oj and racer-x like this.
  19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Having read posts more recent than my last, I double checked my reference source...which is Leo Lindquist's "Hemi Engine Data for the 1950's". That is where I found the block number provided by the OP (1551629) identified as a 1955 model year block. Like 73RR stated above about his attempts to find that 1551829 number, there is no such block casting number listed in Lundquist's book either. He does list the number 1619829 as a '56 model for car and truck as a 354. So far as I know, Mr Lundquist's book has, in the past, been considered the 'bible' of hemi part/casting numbers. Maybe it isn't quite so comprehensive as I have been led to believe.

Ray

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  20. Niksramjet

Niksramjet

Well to be safe I'm going to get the micrometer out tonight and check it- If I'm remembering correctly a 331's bore is 3.8125 vs, a 354's 3.9375. If its a 331- I'll be going back to the drawing board lol.

21. George

George

Unless you're planning on racing, the 331 should be about as good as the 354, just a few less cubes

Hnstray likes this.
  22. Niksramjet

Niksramjet

While I don't disagree, it's just not what I was wanting. And I know I'd always look back and think "I should have gone 354/392" lol.
    Appreciate everyone's help!

loudbang likes this.
  23. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I fully understand your dilemma. However, I have attempted to moderate my own occasional dissatisfaction by reflecting on the adage "Don't let perfection be the enemy of the good enough".

The reality of life is that the 'ideal' is seldom on the menu. Maybe it's my age......but that notion makes more sense than it used to.

Ray

ClayMart and 73RR like this.
  24. Joel W

Joel W

You could put a standard set of 354 pistons in it if it's a 331 and have a 354, with the coveted triple nickel heads too!

falcongeorge and loudbang like this.
  25. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

^^^^^^^^ worth investigating. Requires an 1/8" (.125") overbore...which was not uncommon in the thick wall blocks common in those days.

Ray

26. Niksramjet

Niksramjet

This is why I love this place- appreciate it guys and I'll look into it that.

27. Arominus

Arominus

If its a 55, run it, Its got the nice heads and will rev a little better. Don't be sad that its a 331 vs the 354, just rock it if its good. You'll be happy either way!

28. George

George

With a sonic check....

loudbang likes this.
  29. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

:D Yes, that is the "investigating" part!

Ray

30. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Nothing wrong with 55 331. Lighter than a 392

loudbang likes this.