Register now to get rid of these ads!

352 verse 351C

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stephen67, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Stephen67

Stephen67

This weekend I'm going to look at some parts for my truck. Among some 4x4 axles and even a bed from a '55, he has a few Powertrain options.

I was pretty set on a 351w, however that was mainly because I was planning on putting one in my '67 Mustang and that engine uses the same tranny and everything else as my current 302. After researching a bit it seems the Cleveland may offer some benefits over the windsor. It seems they make some heavy duty torque and would work wonders for a 4x4.

He says the 351C was new from the guy he bought it from, who put no more than 14k miles on it, though he did say it has been sitting for about 7 years now.

He also has a 352, an engine thats very new to me but looks like it could be promising. I haven't checked any of this (I literally just started my search a minute ago) but a few specs between the two:

351 Cleveland

canted-valve cylinder heads.
    bore and stroke of 4.00 X 3.50.
    a light weight block to beat.
    one of the most desirable V8 engines Ford had to offer.
    a two barrel or four barrel setup.
    From 1970 to 1971 the 351 boosted between 250 to 240 horsepower.
    As time progress, the 351 Cleveland saw lessor horsepower until its' demise in 1975.
    the 351 Cleveland four barrel came with dual exhausts, a higher compressions ratio, larger intake/exhaust valves and four bolt mains during the first year of production.
    the 351 Windsor, which belongs to the 90 degree V8 family and bears no resemblance or connection to the 351 Cleveland.

352 cubic inch

bore and stroke of 4.00X3.50
    engine for the '58 T-bird
    four barrell carb @ 300 hp
    compression ratio 10.2.:1
    cast iron crankshaft
    forged steel rods, mechanical-lifter camshaft w/machined combustion chambers or cast chambers by 1959.
    By 1960, the 352 HP was available with an aluminum intake manifold producing approximately 360 hp.

The 351C I know has a transmission on it, but I don't know what he wants for either right now. It seems he's mainly trying to clean up everything he has, and from what I've talked to him on he's not being anywhere out of line with pricing.

As of right now thats all I know. I don't know the condtion of the 352, nor for I know how well that 351C is dispite the low miliage, he mentioned having to do a compression check before knowing what to ask for it.

It seems to me the 352 is a hell of an engine, but I don't know if it has any problems. I thought the 351C has a few problems with oiling, but unresearched at this time.

I figure the 352 maybe harder to come across parts for it. I'm not looking to make it a monster, just a sweet engine for a daily driver. I plan on making my truck a 4x4. I plan on using a divorced 205 transfer case as well, so I can change my power source without having to change the rest (if it should arise that I need to someday)

He did mention having some FE engines, maybe a 390?

Thoughts, suggestions? <!-- / message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- sig -->

2. 351c is a great motor. the 351w is also good low end motor. there are different oil pans for clearance of front differentials. check out FTE site (ford truck enthusiasts) lots of info there. might get flamed here as this really isn't a 4x4 site.

3. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

they got so many slick parts for the Windsor nowadays there's really no reason you can't make as much (or more) torque than a FE or a Cleveland.
    also,more late-model junkyard parts to choose from to go 4x4.
    trying to find the exact bellhousing for an FE or Cleveland is a pain in the ass.
    especially for 4x4 :eek:

4. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

had a 352 police interceptor engine in 58 big car convertable even in that heavy car it screamed
    had a normal 352 in a 58 ranchero ran strong too

5. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

Cleveland and Windsor use same bell housing.

6. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I wouldn't put a 351C in a 4x4 - even the 2bbl engines' ports are big and it takes a lot of tuning to get them "crisp" on the bottom end where the 4x4 will be spending most of its time. Go with your original instinct of the 351W.

The 352 is old, heavy, and parts are harder and more expensive to get. They're decent engines (early FE - same as 360/1 used in trucks for ages, 390/1 also used in trucks, 427, and 428).

If you do decide to go with this guy's 351C, be sure it's really a Cleveland and not a Modified. 351C were only available 4-5 years. 351M was used extensively in trucks during the '70s, but I'm not a fan - bigger than your 351C/W, heavier, reputation (undeserved, some argue) for cracking & throwing rods, use 429/460 bellhousing, mounts, and other components and not supported as much by the aftermarket.

7. panic

panic

the 351 Windsor, which belongs to the 90 degree V8 family and bears no resemblance or connection to the 351 Cleveland

...except for bore, stroke, pitch centers, rod journal OD and width, cam to crank center...
    The entire Cleveland line was developed from the Windsor series.
    Ford doesn't make any V8 engines except the "90° family" - which also includes everyone else as well (GM, Chrysler).

When you read things like that - turn the page. He has no idea what he's talking about.

8. George

George

4X4 types prefer the W. The 352 is an FE with all the weight of a 390 or 428 but with out the cubes. @ the end of production some put out 350 HP, so they can be built up a bit.

9. Use the Cleveland and Send the FE my way!!! :D

10. weathrmn

weathrmn

my 2 cents, make sure the 351 is not the M engine. Since I am a FE guy, go with thre 352. It's a good reliable engine, and it would cost just as much to spice it up like the 351

11. mikyboy

mikyboy

...and besides the FE big hunk of iron looks good

12. A Rodder

A Rodder

FE parts are easily available for this family of engines

13. Fighter-of-Wars

Fighter-of-Wars

Yes, parts still are available, but don't expect them to be as cheap as a SBF or SBC.

14. TERPU

TERPU

FE no question!

Tim

15. corsair

corsair

352 may cost a bit more by the time you're done, but they sure are nice motors. Plenty of torque, and that big ol' mongo truck isn't going to notice the extra weight anyway. FE's sound pretty damn good too. Don't get too excited about the 352's factory numbers. Horses were much smaller in 1958 ;)