Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 351w in a 38 ford help ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38nailhead, Mar 30, 2020.

1. 38nailhead

38nailhead
    from England

Hello everyone, I have slowly been getting on with my build ( 38 ford panel truck ) and have stripped everything down and getting ready to lift the body to start the chassis .
    With this being my first build I’m new to so much of this but am enjoying the learning , my choice for engine as it didn’t come with one is a 351w as my mate had one that he gave me along with a c4. now when I’m trying to get any info / help off anyone all I’m getting is “ why a ford , put a sbc in it “ or “ it’s to difficult to put in a sbf, put in the sbc “ so really not getting much help so thought I would come here for help. The other thing I have been told is that the oil filter clashes with the front cross member, is this true ?
    The chassis was also set up for a th350 so I know I will have to change this section .
    So is their any info / help or pictures you guys could give me please on building my truck the way I want it. All would be much appreciated .
    Thanks Ben

2. 38nailhead

38nailhead
    from England

084A64FA-BCF1-4B33-B2AF-AA895A9D10F9.jpeg
    this is how the truck is at the moment minus steering box , split bones as set up for a th350 , could I possibly modify this to hold the c4 ?

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  3. Not really familiar with your chassis but you will need a rear sump or "double Hump" oil pan. they were available directly from Ford for the popular 351 W swap into the Fox Body Mustang. They came stock on a 351W Crown Vic or Mercury Grand Marquis from the mid to late 80's.

4. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

The Fox body pan is not really all that great. You want the mid 70's van pan and pickup. The pan part number is
    E7TZ-6675-E, the oil pickup part number is E7TZ-6675-E. These are Ford part numbers. You will need to set the center of the firewall back some. With and IFS, you can get away with moving the driver side back about one inch. With the axle front, you will most likely have to move the engine back some to clear the suspension. We have motormounts for that application. You can probably just modify the existing trans mount to work with the C-4.

38nailhead likes this.

5. nobby

nobby

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    38nailhead likes this.
  6. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

It will definitely be more work putting the 351 in but it will run as sweet as any Chevy engine.

38nailhead and scrap metal 48 like this.
  7. dudley32

dudley32

Love the panel... I would definitely check out Pete and Jakes as @nobby has mentioned... lot of how to ideas there if nothing else...that's going to be a nice ride

38nailhead likes this.
  8. topher5150

topher5150

This is my 47 Ford with a 351, setup looks similar, I went back to the original crossmember and the fuel pump is a little snug against the crossmember. IMG_20200322_142242585_HDR.jpeg

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

38nailhead and scrap metal 48 like this.
  9. nobby

nobby