Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 351 Ford Horsepower

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boneyard51, Nov 6, 2018.

1. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

The W block with C or M head is a great stump pullin engine . The 4V heads will make you near Boss302 visual effects . I build a few Street Boss 302 with M 2v heads and 4V intake . They were smaller stock cube and did a fine job and I even had a dope ask me what kinda drive does that BBC have to get dist in front . I told him it was special from a boat , it runs bass ackards also .

Deuces, loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  2. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Could you provide details about that intake?

Deuces, Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  3. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

It was aftermarket , I have used so many and time pssses . It was Edlebrock “ Street Boss “ just for this application . If you use 4 v heads and 302 block OEM Boss 302 is what you need .

Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  4. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

96F2C8B1-288A-48B6-93B3-36C420FD9067.png Check on some of the Mustang sites this was a common swap years ago and worked great , it does involve some water passage work , but very simple at home stuff . This is the intake for the 351W swap to C or M 2v heads

Deuces, Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  5. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Okay, that is the old B-A Ford "Street Boss" or "Track Boss", the former being suited to 2V heads and the latter for 4V, if I remember right.

6. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

B&A intakes were only great because they were available, had some severe flow and reversion issues.

I also still have adaptors to go from 2V heads to Cleveland intakes on the 9.5 Windsor deck height. They work but not the best answer. 2 sets of gaskets needed and silicone. Have one for sale if interested.

Edelbrock intake only works with 2V heads. It's a dual plane so take it for what it's worth.

We ran a 9.2 deck G351 Motorsports block with closed chamber Cleveland 4V heads for a couple years in a steel head dirt late model class. Made good power but custom pistons, heavy engine and lots of valvetrain issues. Loved a huge carb and still pulled well off the corners.

Probably the best steel head engines we had were G351 or 351W blocks and World Products Windsor JR heads. Cut for 2.02/1.60 valves, ported and a slight cut to get compression up. Better compression and valve/runner ratio than Windsor Sr heads for us. Off the shelf pistons, valvetrain and intakes. I prefer to work with flat top pistons so the flame doesn't get blocked so bad. Flattops with small combustion chambers.

Cleveland blocks need oil work to live. Also harder to find if you are racing them. Stay away from 351W roller cam blocks unless you can inspect before buying, known for cracking in lifter valley.

Best intake was Victor Jr with the Pro Products Hurricane a close second. Also have an adaptor plate to run a 302W intake on a 351W block deck height. Lets you run the Parker Funnel Web intake. Really not worth the work but it's for sale, too.

SPark

7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Thanks Spark, that’s the kind of info we need. We are thinking about some of those things.
    We were thinking about the B-A but the Edlebrock is cheaper and supposed to be better. We can use all the experience we can get.

Bones

loudbang likes this.
  8. sunbeam

sunbeam

The street boss was a dual plane track boss single plane both for 2v heads I had a track boss aussi head motor in my tiger.

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Ok, we are having the engine built, Clevor, 351w, Australia 2v heads, unequal cam, fabbed headers, Edlebrock intake.
    We may have to run a 500 Holley two barrel on this engine and it’s limited to 6200 rpm. Assuming 100% volumetric efficiencies, that calculates to about 640 cfm.
    Haven’t had any experience modifying a 500. Any recommendations?
    Thanks
    Edit: there is a lot of restrictions on modifying the venturis.

Bones

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  11. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Remember that Holley rates the flow rates of its 2 barrel carbs at 3 inches of Mercury, not the 1.5 inches typically used on 4 barrels. Depending on the manifold vacuum your engine produces at WOT, that carb may be sized just right.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  12. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Also, you will not have 100% volumetric efficiency, so adjust down accordingly.

loudbang likes this.
  13. sunbeam

sunbeam

Run a predator they're only a 1 barrel I see guys running Quick Fuel Ar3312 in 2 barrel classes

loudbang likes this.
  14. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

You're not going to like the 500 on the Cleveland heads. Absolutely no bottom end, will be a dog off the corners. They really don't come alive until upper RPM and your rules won't let you get there. Bd combination of parts and rules. Really should look at the Windsor JR heads for the 500 carb.
    SPark

15. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

The 500 two barrel will be a dog at low rpm, but would come alive at high rpm? Seems backwards to me. Not arguring, just trying to understand.

The decision maker, says we will run a four barrel..... but the way I read the rules, they’re going to make us run a two barrel.... guess we will see what we run for sure this Spring.

The rules are heavily biased toward Chevy, we are both Ford lovers at heart. Wanting to go down and have some fun!

Bones

loudbang and Gammz like this.
  16. Situation normal then.:rolleyes:

scrubby2009 and Boneyard51 like this.
  17. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Lol. My Dad and i went down Charlotte a couple of years ago touring the Nascar shops for a couple days. I walked into Yates/Roush front door. There was about 3 engines on display . They told that's all I am going to see.:D. So top secret you would have thought it was area 51:p

18. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

:D well there goes my thoughts. So they check with a go/ no go gauge ?

19. The inherent design of the Cleveland intake and exhaust runners dictate the backwards thinking, minimal low RPM torque High RPM HP. One way to move the torque band lower is to destroke the 351 to a 331. This also allows extremely higher RPM range where the HP is made. Harder on parts but in, say a 1/8th mile drag strip faster than a Windsor engine can reach it's optimum operating RPM. Experience on a 1/8th mile strip resulted in mid 5 second times with a relative mild cam and minimal 2 BBL head work with stock valves, albeit 6:50 something rear end gears.

loudbang and Gammz like this.
  20. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I think they do. The rules say that the casting flash has to be visible, or something like that. There’s about a zillion rules and and three different possible engines to chose from. It’s going to be an experience!

Bones

loudbang likes this.
  21. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

What I was trying to say is the 2bbl on Cleveland heads would be a dog. Ever fill a garbage can with a drinking straw? You will not feed the Cleveland heads well. Cleveland heads, even 2V versions, work better at high RPM's. Large ports, low velocity fuel flows. You don't get to run high RPM's so why carry the extra weight and valvetrain issues? You would be much better off with an aftermarket inline head with a smaller runner design and slightly smaller valves (think Windsor JR for smaller runners and combustion chambers). We ran a 351" Clevor years ago on a dirt late model. 4V closed chamber heads. Heavy, valvetrain issues (we ran the best stuff available and used stud girdles) and we ran a 980cfm 4V on it (biggest thing out there not being a Dominator at the time). Made great power but was expensive to keep alive and we had to wind it. We came off the corner at 4500 and hit 8900-9000 going into the corner. Every time it broke it was coming off the gas going into the corner. Popped valves apart every time. Didn't matter what brand valve we used, the angles took their toll on valve guides, too. It was short on air, we had it on the dyno several times. It wanted more carb. The 2V heads would be a little better but still overkill for your combination. The Cleavor likes air and fuel. If you do decide to build one, use the Aussie 2V closed chamber heads and get .040 quench, it's an absolute necessity. More quench will kill all your power and make it even more sluggish. Open chamber heads tend to detonate no matter what fuel you run.

SPark

22. atch

atch

I don't know squat about Ford engines, but as Smokey said "there are two types of racers; cheaters and losers."

Not that I condone cheating or anything.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  23. We had 302 Clevelands for many years alongside the 351 versions. I'm not overly clued in on the specs though.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  24. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Ok, I get what you’re saying. We do have the Aussie heads. The decision maker is going ahead with the engine. I’m just a helper/ advisor, we’re going to do it his way. I know we’re coming late to the party and trying to reinvent the wheel , but at least it keeps us from chasing women and out of bars......errr, at least it keeps us busy.

Bones

loudbang, Gammz and warhorseracing like this.
  25. With the 429 Ford, we had to run a 2-barrel, class rules. So we put a 500 Holley on it. One night we got protested and the 1st thing the tech guys sees is a Holley peeking out under the air cleaner... he says busted... no 4-barrels! We show him what it was. Overnight the rule book was changed... no Holleys! We put an Autolite 2-barrel on it and the car was just as fast.

26. sunbeam

sunbeam

The Australian heads are way better than the US stuff open chambers dropped the compression but got rid of the quench detonation really bad even with low compression

27. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

They have us by the short and curlies, the rules even specify the Holley part number you can run. I swear they have a rule as to what brand of underwear you have to have!
    We’re going to build it our way and shame those Chevy boys into letting us run. It’s going to be fun! You all come on down and watch.

Bones

Deuces and saltflats like this.
  28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

To bad you can't run a Rochester 2GC

Boneyard51 likes this.
  29. RmK57

RmK57

Are there any other Fords running in the class you'll be in and are they running competitively ?

If there are a couple I'd see what combo their using and perhaps tweak it one way or another.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  30. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

James that would be cool, but they’ve got the rules leaning so far toward Chevy, it isn’t even funny, running a Ford. What is the cfm of that 2GC? We probably wouldn’t run it, because if we won, they would credit the Chevy carb for our victory!

Rm , we’ll be the only Ford powered car out there I think. I know of no one else doing this, here.
    We’re not going to try to win the points race, just go race when we can and have fun.

Bones