Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 350HP Flathead!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flat Ernie, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Watched some dyno pulls yesterday and today for a pair of Bonneville-bound flatheads - yesterday's engine pulled 330HP and todays did 350HP!

Should run well - was an older gentleman named Bert Griffin - super neat guy to talk to. Engines were being tuned on Joe Abbin's dyno by Gary McGlasson (super stock guy).

Really sounded good!

As an aside, Joe finally released his new book & I got a copy yesterday - read it cover-to-cover last night - really good stuff in there, lots of real-world build-up documentation (Bill Boomer, Honest Charley, etc).

I don't know if Joe took any video of the runs, but if he did, I'll see if he'll let me post 'em. The sound was incredible!

2. greasy50chevy

greasy50chevy

no way! thats right on

3. timmy t

timmy t

Too cool. What were they running on ? methanol, nitro, av gas.My flatty is probably only 1oo horse.

4. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

wow... man, three an a half hunnert ponies out of a flat motor... that my friends, is artwork

5. Flathead26T

Flathead26T

damn!! any specs on those motors?

6. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

Vern Tardel's blown flat head Bonniville motor ran over 430 hps last year on the Flow Master chassis dyno. 6-71 blower, injected on alky.

Rex

7. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Not real sure on spec of engine, had Baron heads, 174" Holley blower, Holley carb (I think 570 avenger??), can't remember cams on each, but run on 110 race gas.

8. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

The engine sits in a '29 Roadster and has headlights !!
    Bert is a great guy!

9. coletrickle

coletrickle

thats gonna be some fun on the salt!Iback in 92 i hung out with the busbys in laguna canyon rd i belive old jim has a pretty hot ardun headed roadster i think last year it went 159mph 8 over the old record.One flatty that made me smile was built by bob mcray using the exhaust as intakes and exaust out through the middle sorta like the indy ford v8 it looked real cool

10. NAsty....more info pleae if you ca n get your hands on it !

Rat

11. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Tony Baron's new huffed flathead Bonneville engine dyno'ed at over 500 hp!

CB

12. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

is Joe on here? I would love to hear that motor scream.

13. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Waiting to hear the music....

14. Just ordered my copy... can't wait to start reading it...

15. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Joe has a log-in, but rarely comes on here.

He sent me a dyno video this morning (taken with his cell phone). I asked him if I could post it (and details on the engine), but no reply yet.

16. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

17. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I'm gonna call BS on a 350HP reliable down to earth FlatHead Ford. Show us a video.... I'm just kidding, I just want to see it.

Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop

18. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I didn't say anything about "reliable" or "down to earth" - I'll bet this guy has stupid money in his engines...but at his age, you can't take it with you & more power to him (literally!).

I think he was going to the Pate swap meet this weekend & will swing back through Mon to pick his engines up...

Really neat old guy - I really enjoyed chatting with him about all sorts of things - not just cars. A genuinely nice fellow.

I think this is Bert's car:

[​IMG]

Picture shamelessly borrowed from Kiwi Kev on his thread here:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289351

19. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Yes it is!
    It has license plates , too......
    I think 350HP in a Flathead that can be street driven is ALOT
    Bert has some good stories to tell.Not just car related
    I met him a few times
    Michael

20. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I'm still calling BS on a street driven Flat Head. Maybe some Blown or turbocharged Some kinda Hybrid Flathead. Mine is a Big Merc ported and releived, with .040 pistons 4" stroke and it will be lucky to make 200hp.

Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop

21. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

It is blown - 8lbs of boost for the 350HP run. I don't think Bert plans on doing much street driving with these engines to be honest, but Abbins made 335HP and he DOES drive his on the street.

You'll be lucky to make 175HP with that engine - depending.

I'm planning a 284" (4-1/8" stroke & .125" overbore) with a blower on a French block - I'm looking to make 300HP, or very close to it. Granted, that will be at the top of the RPM range, where I won't spend most of my time, but it should do 300lb/ft of torque from quite low all the way through...it CAN be done.

22. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Look at the pic.....The car has a blower.......!

23. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

I don't think will ever drive it on the street,but the car is able to do so.

Ernie, what do you plan on strengthen the bottom end?
    Michael

24. RAY With

RAY With

Blower motors are very streetable as is turbo's. About the only limiting factor would be if its an alcohol/nitro fuel motor and cam/valve springs. A good cooling system should eliminate any over heating so why all the skeptics? We have 1000 hp street driven cars now in case you don't know it and a flatty is no different with today's equiptment and knowledge.

25. There are a lot of limiting factors on a flathead - once you decide to hit 300HP and above. It only has 3 mains, the main web of the block is very weak - which is why you'll see big/huge billet steel main caps, girdles that go out to the pan rails to pickup more "meat", etc.. Then there is the deck, which is thin as well. Then there is the stock port layout -- not much to work with (especially on the exhaust side - so 'quick ways' come into play). There are many limiting factors in their design -- which is why you have to throw tons of money, time and custom fabricated parts into them to go over 300 HP . . . without picking up the results in a wheel barrow. That is also why you have to give guys like Tony Baron or Joe Abbin credit when they're pumping 3X to 5X the original horsepower out of Henry's good ole' flatty.

26. RAY With

RAY With

27. PackardV8

PackardV8

Uh, Ray, better do some homework before putting that statement out for all the world to see.

thnx, jack vines

28. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

um... what?

29. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

I know this quote has already been referred to, but... LOL!!!! Maybe he is confusing a centrifugal supercharger (boost increases with RPM) and WOT.

Naw... I tried to find a reason for this statement, but I can't make it stretch that far. LOL Have you heard of a "twin-screw" supercharger Ray? Just wondering.

30. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I saw the blower on the car. I have a good friend with a blown Motor City flathead, it dynoed at around 240HP and they were very happy with it. It is 304 cid. with everything in the world done to it. The big main girdle is a must, if you plan on putting the boost to it.

Why couldn't you turbo one of these thing with good results? Nothing wild, just a mild turbo setup. Just enough boost to help out the lack of breathing. What do you guys think?

Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop