Register now to get rid of these ads!

350 Turbo Transmission woes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34toddster, Jul 16, 2009.

1. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I just installed a rebuilt 350 in my 60 Truck. It set for 6 months before installation. For the first few weeks it worked great but now after 2 months it won't drop in gear after setting for, say 1 or 2 days. You have to start the car let it idle then put the trans in gear, drive then reverse, rev it a bit, then it will jump into gear everytime, so far. I called the guy up and he has had some health issues so I've got to fix itmyself, any ideas? Fluid does rise in the dipstick tube when checked before starting and then goes back to normal during driving The trans works perfect otherwise. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!:mad:

2. My guess is dry or cracked lip seals,

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have you got the correct tube and dipstick? It almost sound the way mine did when it was low on fluid. I'd have to do the same thing and then it would take off.

But my current trans woes are bigger than yours as I have to go pull the thing out because it committed suicide yesterday and gave me a long walk back to town. Great time to leave the cell phone on the counter when I took off from the house.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

4. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Thanks 2 Many and Mr.48 The trans pulled from a 70 Imp and was unmolested. I wonder what keeps the converter from draining back? The Lip Seal ? Where the hell is that? I can relate about that walkin to the nearest phone, oh wait there aren't any pay phones anymore! Oh, also it does have a "rebuilt" converter in it too.
    Thanks guys!

5. squirrel

squirrel

No leaks?

Pull the pan, see what's in it....

6. Sure does sound low on fluid, just try adding an extra quart. Maybe the filter fell off, no,,, 350's have a couple of screws holding it. Hmmmmmmmm, let me consult my book.

7. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

None, If I add any more fluid it will run out the top of the tube..Pullin the pan will have to be the next course of action, maybe the filter is in the bottom of the pan?Thanks Squirrel

8. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Unclee, maybe he left the filter bolt out and it hung in there for a couple of weeks.
    I'll climb under it this weekend. Thanks

9. squirrel

squirrel

Could also be some pump gear remnants....or something else....look for a little pile of iron filings.

I've never taken apart a 350 that didn't have something worn out.

10. I'm going to say that if it's not low and there's nothing wrong with the screen then it will be a problem in the valve body, most likely something sticking. I'd pull and completely disassemble the valve body and clean it and look everything over real good.

11. Good point, so just to be on the safe side make sure it has a magnet in the pan. Oh yeah, get a book, all those small parts have to be put in right!

12. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Ok Squirre, I'll look at it and see what's in the bottom. This guy has built at least 20 trans thru the years and this is my first issue, he replaces bushings and anything that looks suspect. The problem is, there's always that one little thing that will go wrong sooner or later. I'll let everyone know what I find. Thanks for everyones input!

13. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Oh there is that dreaded word Valvebody, OK if I have to I will...please let it be a dropped filter. Someone at one time sold a 350 turbo book for Dummies, anybody know where I could find one? oh wait I have a 74 Motor manual, it should have everything I need?
    Thanks again

14. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Thats a big no the Motor Manual, unless you need to work on your Covair Powerglide!

15. The Wizard!

The Wizard!

Sounds like Convertor drain back but that is very uncommon on a 350. Maybe the filter is 3/4 plugged with rag lint? Get the pan off so we can see!

16. Before you even drop the pan, what kind of shifter do you have in it? Is everything adjusted properly there? If a column shift, what's the column out of?

WITH THE ENGINE OFF, put the shifter into what appears to be drive on the shift indicator. Get under the truck and disconnect the linkage or cable to the selector shaft lever and see if the lever moves a bit on its own one way or the other. If the trans is truly in drive the linkage should easily drop back into place in the selector lever. If it doesn't it may be just slightly holding the manual valve between gears, or more accurately between drive and neutral.

With the right kind of pressure gauge and a good shop manual you should be able to check the line pressure as well and maybe narrow things down a bit if you've got a low pressure issue on cold startup. Maybe a pump or pressure regulator issue?

17. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Once again you guys are truely gear heads Thanks for the advise. I'll attack it Sunday and see what is hiding in the bowels of the lower gut in that thing.
    Clay I'm going to check that first, that shifter is NOT my favorite Thanks
    Damn I hate automatic transmissions!

18. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

As a temporary fix/diagnostic, you can thrown in a can of "trans fix", lots of different ones on the market. It'll soften and swell the gaskets/seals, and may fix it for a while. I've never had any luck doing it, but I've known a bunch of people who it worked fine for. Butch/56sedandelivery.

19. LOL!:D That's because you're not "thinking with your dipstick!"

Guess that's why some people still think of them as "auto-magic" transmissions.:rolleyes:

20. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Damn Clay, that is the problem. That is funny, If some wacked me with a dipstick I'd deck them. Someone should make a commerical knocking the crap out of that guy, now that would be some funny stuff!

21. kraka138

kraka138

hang on theres something im not getting here....

you said it was rebuilt but then in the next post you said it was removed from a 70 impala and "un-molested"

so is it or isnt it rebuilt? ive never had any luck with parts the PO says "was rebuilt" a (certain amount of time) ago, unless theres receipts i usually take it as it wasn't.....

22. I know you said you weren't going to dive back into this project till Sunday, but your response got me to thinking.

When you say "that is the problem" do you mean:

a. You're still not thinking with your dipstick?

b. You still think automatic transmissions operate by some kind of magic?

c. You readjusted the shift linkage and you're out driving the truck right now?:confused:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had to go buy another trans today to fix mine. Wirr, wirr, wirr, bang, guess who's walking back. I may have broken pieces in the pump. And I should have my tired ass out under the truck pulling the trans out of it instead of sitting here on the laptop.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

24. kooldaddy-o

kooldaddy-o

If dipstick matches tube and fluid level is truly correct(there is a way to verify fluid level but is a pain),
    If shifter is correct,
    If filter is tight to valve body with correct gasket,if filter clogged your terminal anyway.
    Then internal issues are....
    If this trans was worked on recently and in fact the converter is draining back into pan, usual internal problems are worn stator support bushings,worn input shaft,worn pump body,incorrect pump gears in pump body.
    GM in its wisdom used a few different pump gears, difference being a few thousands in thickness. Converter can always be bad but not usual with GM transmissions.
    Hope that helps

25. blue57ford

blue57ford

Kooldaddy-o is on the right track. It's possible to have undersized pump gears. Wear in the front pump bushing or converter hub as well. My dad metioned that if it was an orginal 70 350, he said that the pump had a valve he believes was an anti drainback. He was not quite sure though since it's been ages since real early model 350's have come into or shop.

26. El KaMiNo KiD

El KaMiNo KiD

thats funny man...i would love to see that...

27. My experience with T-350's is once they hesitate to go in reverse, it's the
    beginning of the end.

I did have one rebuilt that started slipping, changed the fluid a couple times during the next 300 miles and turned out to be a good trans.

B&M makes an adapter to use a much better Chrysler 727 filter on a T350

28. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I thought I'd thank all of you guys for your responses. I adjusted the shift linkage with no change and then started looking at fluide levels .I found another dipstick tube and stick from a 73 Malibu and it really didn't look the same length as the one I had so I cleaned it up and checked the fluid hot it said 1pt low, I added 1 pt and drove it a bit and checked it again, 1 pt low still, added the pint drove it said it was good. I let it sit for 1 week fired it up this morning and as soon as I dropped it to reverse, Bang it was in!
    MR. 48, you the man! Thanks to all!