Register now to get rid of these ads!

350 roller to flat tappet pushrods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jtm_elcamino, Feb 25, 2013.

1. jtm_elcamino

jtm_elcamino
    from Uvalde Tx

Hey fellas a buddy of mine is building a budget 350. It's a roller block and he was given a flat tappet cam for it. I know a flat tappet cam will work in a roller block but we don't know what length pushrods itl need to keep the rockers centered on the valve stem.

2. sunbeam

sunbeam

Flat tappet rods But I would got with used roller stuff if your on a budjet it will probally make more power and be happer with the new oils.

3. jtm_elcamino

jtm_elcamino
    from Uvalde Tx

Ok thanks! He's still considering going roller but he wants to run this cam for a while until he saves up for a roller setup. So just stocker rods will keep everything in line?

4. TurboX2

TurboX2

You will have to check the valve train geometry after lifters are installed! Flat tappet cams are a crap shoot with todays oils and the quality of lifters and cam shaft blanks. Flat or rounded lobes are real common and will cost you a complete rebuild if it happens! Just FYI.

5. lht

lht

use zinc additive when runnin flat tappet i think speedway sells a cheapo tool to check pushrod length

6. jtm_elcamino

jtm_elcamino
    from Uvalde Tx

(use zinc additive when runnin flat tappet)

my biker buddies showed me some new oil that LUCAS makes thats high zinc. i know they make a tool just figured id steal some of yalls knowledge before i spent the money!