Register now to get rid of these ads!

'35 Pickup back on the road after electrical fire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Iceberg, May 12, 2004.

1. Iceberg

Iceberg

Well, I finally finished installing a new wiring harness in my ’35 Ford pickup after the electrical fire several weeks ago. I bought a new dash & lighting harness from Sacramento Vintage Ford and with some slight modification it went in well. I had to fabricate my own harness for the voltage regulator to generator connection (I’m running a ’46 generator on my 59A). The short had also toasted my voltage regulator, starter switch, battery & starter cables & my brand new 6V Ultima battery. I really didn't want to spend another $100+ on another new Ultima, so I fabricated a new passenger side floor battery box and bought a regular 6V wet cell battery (1/3 the cost). This actually worked out great and gave me more access to the '39 style master cylinder & eliminated the need for an exhaust heat shield for the battery. I also installed some of the vintage style cloth wire sheathing that looks great and really cleaned up my two piece vintage Sun Tach installation and the engine bay wiring.
    It was my first try at wiring a rig, but with a good wiring diagram & some planning it all went together well. As an added bonus, the whole installation only set me back a little over $250 (w/ new battery & box, voltage regulator, starter switch, cables & hardware). I guess I will have to tackle my non-functioning goofy hydrostatic gas gauge next!

Attached Files:

2. Iceberg

Iceberg

Under dash

Attached Files:

3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Cool!! Good for you. Don't it feel great!! And not hard at all.

4. Iceberg

Iceberg

Tach sending unit

Attached Files:

5. bdrake

bdrake
    Member Emeritus

Glad to here your back on the road Iceberg. Do have a pic of the new battery box, thinking of putting mine under the bed floor.