Register now to get rid of these ads!

'35 ford wide 5 suspension questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tim burns, Jan 21, 2005.

1. tim burns

tim burns
    from Oregon

i need to get front & rear suspension for my '29 p/u project. a friend has complete '35 f&r suspension for pretty cheap but it is wide 5 bolt pattern. he did not know if this was juice or mech brakes either. can the hubs be made to fit 16" or 19" A or B wire wheels easily? are the brakes worth using? is the rear axel worth using? what is the whole mess worth? he wants like 500 i think for it all. the pics show it to be in decent shape. it is under a '35 2 door sedan stocker that they are gonna goldchain, so these are leftovers.

2. '36-'39 were wide fives and all had mechanical brakes - but they could have been converted to juice somewhere along the line. '35 had a small bolt pattern and wire wheels. I bet this suspension is from a '36.

If you want to run small bolt pattern wheels you'll have to swap brake drums. If the brakes are mechanical you'll want to convert to juice. The front suspension is a spring in front set up and you'll most likley want a spring over set up for your '29. This means you'd need a new spring and spring perches.

The rear end could probably be fine on the street but you can't put too much power in front of it.

....and just for the record, wide 5's rule.

$500 sounds a bit steep for what it is - when compared to what you probably need it to be.

JH

3. Crestliner

Crestliner

39 deluxe had juice brake with wide 5 pattern. Price is to high for what your getting. I have a 36 front end from a restored car, 125.00 will take it but no juice brakes.

4. tim burns

tim burns
    from Oregon

the pix i saw of it had steel wheels on it, not wires. not sure what bolt pattern a&b wires used, 5 on 5.5 mabey? he said they were juice, but he may not have checked yet. is it a pain to convert the rear to open driveline so i can put an automatic on it? my feet are way tooo friggin' big (size 14)to be clutching a chopped A p/u! so dont give me any **** about runnin' an auto! [​IMG]

5. i agree...$500 is way to high for that

6. I got the rear half of a '36 for doing a little art, maybe $100 worth. I'm planning on using wide 5 sprint car disc brakes, but I don't think it's going to be real easy [​IMG]. I'm a little more ambitious than I should be sometimes.

7. oldspeed

oldspeed
    from Upstate NY

No hijack intended but I just found a set of 35 drums with the open window style, has anyone used these on a 36-39 with juice brakes or is there a problem with too much crap getting into the shoes?

8. flynj1

flynj1
    from C.B. IOWA

N8inks here is wide five with old drum safty hubs on a ford 9". the disk or easyer to set up. If you need any info let me know

9. oldspeed....Are there open-window style for fronts and rears ? I've only seen fronts. I'd like to run them with the disc brake conversion I've designed and am currently building.

10. lakes modified

lakes modified
    Member Emeritus

The mechanical brake drums will not work on a hydralic system. you need the 39 drums to make the whole thing work.

11. Please don't take this the wrong way, but you need to do alot more research into what was, and is now being used in these old hotrod setups before you waste some serious money.

Your friend needs some help too if he doesn't know if the brakes are mechanical or hydraulic . This is REAL basic stuff.

There is nothing on the stock '35 suspension that you would want to use as far as brakes. The rear wishbones are cool to use in some cases and are worth about 100 bucks in most cases. The 16 wire wheels that should have been on it are useable to, but you stated the car had steel wheels, most likely 16's with 5x 5.5 bolt pattern, also usable on all early ford brakes 40 and up, Well up to '48 anyway.

The only wide 5 stuff that you would want to use is '39 ONLY.

It's good to see you are asking questions first, thats a good start. There are lots of people here that have been around this stuff for a long time and most anything you need to know can be answered here. Thats what makes the HAMB so cool.

12. tim burns

tim burns
    from Oregon

thanks for the info roadstar! i will pass on all his '35 parts then. it had wide five & steel wheels, not spokes. i will keep looking for a later model complete axle & brakes.

13. 26 FlatRod

26 FlatRod

This may be true of the front but not the rear end. I just pulled the juice backing plate assy (shoes and all) off a 40 Ford Rear, slapped em on my '36 rear and put the '36 drums over the assy. fits just fine