Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs '35 Ford tail light stands?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29EHV8, Apr 28, 2010.

1. So guys, we stripped all of the paint, bondo etc off of my tail laight stands. And we found that they're different, totally different. The left one has a bead around it and the right one doesn't. Whats up with these? I need a match for one of em now:D
    [​IMG]

The left one needs some work so to find a better one that matches the right would be good.

-Shiny

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hmmm... I'll have to look at mine now. Never noticed the bead.

YEP! Mine appear to be just like that.

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Is the bead intended for sealing the gask tank filler? I think mine are like that too.

4. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

heres my humpback left side stand, it has the bead also from the looks of things...
    I'll try to check tonight and see what all I have...I bought a bunch of them...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's an example on Ebay that shows a close up. They ALSO look like yours...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Aren't the longer stands from a '36??

7. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

no, 36 stands are a different shape, these are humpback '35 stands... except i can't find a right side one.... anyone have one? :)

8. nofin

nofin
    from australia

I don't think it's a bead because it doesn't go all the way around the edge. I think it's just where the larger diameter vertical fill pipe intersects with the curve of the taillight holder and causes a sharp corner. It may have been blended with bondo by a previous owner.

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gotcha!

10. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

I'm gona agree with nofin here.... took a look at mine tonight... it does seem like its just a line where the big fuel inlet hole and the base meet....
    heres the one on my car, I'm guessing never been changed?
    [​IMG]
    and another humpback stand I have.... same line
    [​IMG]
    you forced me to go to the garage where I have my coupe stored.... man I wana work on that thing....

11. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

My take on this being that the smooth edged item has been produced from another die or supplier. Maybe a Canadian version or just an out sourced part that meet the overall dimensions correctly but varied in detail. I checked all 35 tail lite stands in inventory and NOS or used all lefts had the small bead around the edge. I did not have any rights to verify but since that right side is a deluxe version option it may have been an after thought placed into production at a later date thus the two dont match exactly or just a later version design change, it not like parts didnt change during production runs. A quick skim of the 35/6 restoration guide makes no mention of the reveal edge on the stands being a design change. Oh well another old car mystery.

12. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

I just checked my '35 Fordor Humpback and my '36 Tudor Humpback and there is no bead on anything, left or right. Wayno