Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 35 Ford 3-window build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fomocokid, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Fomocokid

Fomocokid
    from Rapid City

I tried to post the pics tonight but I got tired of waiting for them to load after 40 minutes. I will try again tomorrow

2. TomH

TomH

I am working on FORD STUFF!!! I have the upper steering arm off the RPU grinding the ugly wire feed welds off. Then I’m bring the roadster in and take apart that front spring and see if I can get the squeak taken care of. After that, mount that snow blade you saw on the front of the pickup. That’s the real reason I can’t get motivated cause I know what’s coming. December, January and February, the three worst month of the year.

3. jamiee

jamiee

your car looks good man, better in person

4. 55delray

55delray
    from Florida

So let me get this straight. You go to hot rod school, then work at an auto restoration shop after school, where the boss lets you work on your own projects? Thats not work, thats a fantasy! But your work looks good and your making amazing progress. Keep it up. I imagine seeing the asphalt on the road is about to come to an end for you guys in the Dakotas isn't it?

5. Fomocokid

Fomocokid
    from Rapid City

I had to split the roof to relieve some things. The roof skin pulled the inner frame in at the top. Making this split fixed it. I just have to do the other side now.

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  6. Fomocokid

Fomocokid
    from Rapid City

Here is the '34 you asked to see Tom. Gene put quarter and cowl patches in it. We also put a Bitchin Products floor in it. I recessed the firewall for the sbc. I also made the rings around the shifter and parking brake. Once I finish Mike's '55 chevy I will be back on this and put toe boards in and mock up the steering column. The '32 3-window you see in the background once in awhile belongs to this guys brother-in-law.

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  7. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

If you are the future of metal fabricators, we are all in good shape!

That is some stellar fab work on the tunnel and firewall of the 34 for sure. Been stalking your thread since the beginning, it's refreshing to see our youth still has some ambition!!!

Sweet 35 by the way!

8. ^^^^ Agreed on all points!

Chopping AND relieving that top takes some balls, but again, you pulled it off. Have to say, you have the gift, considering the length of your experience. Kudos, too, to your
    instructors...

9. TomH

TomH

Thanks, good to see you have top figured out on the `35.

10. oldman2

oldman2

Excellent work on yours and the customers ride, always enjoy your updates with such great work....Jim

11. koolkemp

koolkemp

Lets see a few pics of the 55 as well !!

12. Fomocokid

Fomocokid
    from Rapid City

The sheetmetal instructor at the school was a joke. He messed up one of my panels and after that he kept his distance from me. I figured the english wheel and the beadroller out but messing around with it. Most of the credit has to be given to TomH and my boss. Tom taught me hammer and dolly basics and how to hammer weld a panel together witht the good old oxy/acet torch. My boss taught me how to use the shrink disc and bullseye. He taught me how to blend the welds and how to clean all of the metal.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  13. Fomocokid

Fomocokid
    from Rapid City

I also repaired this inner fender for the '34

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  14. Fomocokid

Fomocokid
    from Rapid City

I will try to remember to take some pics of that tomorrow for you

15. Fomocokid

Fomocokid
    from Rapid City

Here is a model A roadster I worked on awhile back. It is an original '32 frame. When I started on it the front was already pinched but the frame stuck out from the body about half an inch still. I cut the top and bottom of the rails every 2 inches and moved them around to follow the body.

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  16. Fomocokid

Fomocokid
    from Rapid City

I made the front floor pan and tranny hump and I mounted '39 tail lights in it.

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  17. Fomocokid

Fomocokid
    from Rapid City

I made the rear subrails to follow the frame. I welded the rear floor pan in. I made a cover to go over the model A spring. I also had to shorten the trunk filler panel to match the new floor.

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  18. Fomocokid

Fomocokid
    from Rapid City

The owner wanted a spoon gas pedal. We had a piece out of a '34 firewall where the pedal mounts so I blended that into the original firewall. All of the pieces in the firewall are original henry steel no newer than '34.

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  19. Fomocokid

Fomocokid
    from Rapid City

This is the car when it left our shop. An original 'A roadster with brookville quarters, sitting on an original '32 frame. when I first started on it I had to align the doors and then I built a really cool body brace system that all bolts into the car. It made the body extremely solid. I dont have any good pics of that.

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  20. oldman2

oldman2

Thanks for showing the pics, very nice work as usual....Jim

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's always interesting and enlightening to see what you have been up to since the last batch of photos have shown up. Seeing what you did with the 32 frame equals many pages of someone's text explanations on the same thing.

22. TomH

TomH

Thanks Kellan, like I said before you were a quick study and I knew it wouldn't belong before you would pass me up. :)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  23. Fomocokid

Fomocokid
    from Rapid City

Here's the '55. Gene did the front of the hood with nothing more than a hammer and a dolly, the only welding was filling the trim holes.

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  24. Fomocokid

Fomocokid
    from Rapid City

Last night I plug welded the front of the inner frame to the sheet metal. I made the last piece of door jamb, which I cut out so that I could get the skin onto the frame work. I then gapped the top of the door

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  25. Fomocokid

Fomocokid
    from Rapid City

Got my drive shaft today. i got the roof tacked together on the passenger side now.

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  26. Fomocokid

Fomocokid
    from Rapid City

Welded up the back corner of passenger side roof last night

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  27. oldman2

oldman2

Damn, that is some nice work...Jim

28. hammeredcoupe

hammeredcoupe
    from Tacoma,WA

You have great metal working skills ,and your car is looking fantastic. I think maybe I should bring you the coupe in my avatar? Keep up the good work. I look forward to your posts.

29. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Kell. your the man, love your post on your build. My dad was lucky to have you working on his av8 roadster. he hasnt done a thing to it since it left your able hands. next time you see him you will have to give him some shit.

30. Fomocokid

Fomocokid
    from Rapid City

Ya next time I see him I will give him some shit about the car and that steering wheel