Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '35 Dodge door latch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Compulsion, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Compulsion

Compulsion
    from BC

I installed the door latch mechanism (left, drivers side) on my 1935 Dodge 4 door slantback. I can open the door from the inside but not from outside. Somehow I've activated the lock. How do I unlock this?

2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Slim jim, should be one in everyone's toolbox.

3. goldmountain

goldmountain

Turn the inside handle the other direction, one way locks, the other way opens - usually.

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got 'em in mine!
    upload_2019-7-23_13-41-40.png

VANDENPLAS and Oldioron like this.

5. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

You might want a few beers with those slim jims.:)

6. Compulsion

Compulsion
    from BC

Had a few beers, enjoyed a few beers .. door is still locked.

7. gene-koning

gene-koning

The Slim Jim tool is not going to unlock a 35 Dodge door lock, ever!

As stated by gold mountain, if you push the inside handle in one direction it locks the door, if you push it in the other direction, it opens the door. The door lock mechanism itself is inside the latch assembly. Only the latch assemblies with the key lock are able to be opened from outside the car (the key lock rod turns a fixture inside the latch), the latch assembly without a key lock probably doesn't have the stuff inside of it to add a key lock until about 50 or 51. Mopar used the same system well into the 50s. Gene

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  8. Actually double check, but the handles with the keyhole on the front passenger side only activates a lock that lets the handle engage with the latch.
    But if you lock it from the inside, the outer door lock cannot unlock lock it. They are two separate locking mechanisms. In the past you were supposed to get get out on the passenger side and lock that front passenger door as you left. But also make sure you didn’t accidentally lock the inside.