Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '35 Dodge Brothers KCL 1/2T Commercial Pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Samster, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Samster

Samster
    from Belgium

Kinky6, in the pic the horn is mounted right? the hole I was referring to is above that, just underneath the top!?

2. bonesmsd

bonesmsd
    from Redding Ca

3. Samster

Samster
    from Belgium

bingo! that sounds like a reasonable explanation :p

and I take it that the + came from the interior then, just the same setup as the volvo actually

4. RodStRace

RodStRace

The stock suspension is very different, as shown by the pics.
    Before you take it all apart, try on the front fenders to make sure you are happy with the front axle placement.
    It looks like the grille shell was shortened, so it probably won't align with the fenders.

5. bonesmsd

bonesmsd
    from Redding Ca

I'm probably wrong, but that truck looks a lot like one that was sold out of Redding, CA. There's a shop out here that puts together cars & trucks together like that to sell. Also uses late model engines.

6. retromotors

retromotors

Yeah, well I guess you thought you could sneak those by and we wouldn't notice.
    But this is the freakin' HAMB, bud!
    Those are obviously metric bullet holes.
    Weld 'em up and install some good old SAE bullet holes, then you got it goin' on!:D

Seriously though, nice truck.
    Good luck with it.

7. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice truck! Really like the chop! I bought this truck & been getting it on the road! it sat for 30 something years & only has 45K miles on it did brakes now radiator, fuel pump, carb, WP Etc. Its a 34 & whats weird you can buy a book on dodges id #s & mine is a 34 & Title is 34 checking serial number it was made in Feb 1935 which is really late but was told 35s came out late & changed from suicide doors to regular! I would love to chop it but too original! I then picked up a 34 Dodge 5 window cool to have both! If you need any info off mine let me know! Again very cool truck! Tks Bill

Attached Files:

8. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Love that truck!! good score,

9. 1959apache

1959apache

killer truck buddy, keep us posted... that thing looks mean.. I might have to come to Belgium and carjack that thing when its done! (just kidding haha)

10. Samster

Samster
    from Belgium

ok, I now officially adore this board..!

great, constructive replies folks!

I've indeed noticed some strange welding at the nose.. we've been wondering why somebody would make those adjustments right there.. after somekind of crash, it seems idiotic to make such weldings.. shortening to fit the bodydrop seems logical now!

we're building an English wheel for other projects, ('70ties mopedfenders) and more and more we're getting to the thought of rolling fenders to fit what we got as a case here in the garage with the Dodge.. (finding original ones here in Belgium, or Ebay-like seems utopic or unafordable at this stage) There are some nice details in the original ones which we'd like to keep in the remakes too (those 'tear-like' shapes in the front ridge for example, great craftmanship!)

plan is to loosen the transverse piece of chassis holding the front spring, relocating the lot more backwards and giving more ground clearance to get the front up and give some 'spring-freedom' (sorry, I'm not familiar with the English terms about these things) And before welding, getting the flat 8 in to doublecheck everything has enough room to be at ease.Main disturbance is the steeringaxis, I've the idea that the engine (V instead of six straight) would bump into the steeringrod, so we're holding up anything permanent 'ntill we have the engine and supports ready to present to the chassis, just to be shure..

and Bob of 'solospeedshop' I'll prepare a personal letter for some specific questions ² ;-) (having seen your pics, it would indeed be a shame to cut up an original like yours. But there's a treasure of information in it for me!)

11. Samster

Samster
    from Belgium

cheers, that was some well worthy advise!
    (we don't have the fenders here)

12. Samster

Samster
    from Belgium

any clue about the site of those guys? it would be nice to get to know some history of this beauty..
    cheers!

13. Samster

Samster
    from Belgium

o yeah, 'métric bulletholes' .. if that even exists, I'll be out looking! :)

now you mention it, I'll measure them (with my jolly metric instuments, off course!)

14. bonesmsd

bonesmsd
    from Redding Ca

If it's the pickup I think it is, I don't think he's got a website. Like I said, he finds mostly 30's cars/trucks, and builds rollers out of them to sell. Kind of rough assembly. I've got both a '34, and '35 dodge pickup. I gave this guy a hood, and thats what caught my eye on yours.

15. Samster

Samster
    from Belgium

that's interesting! couldn't agree more on the term "rough assembly"

I think Mc.Guyver did better welding, using a carbattery and straight cables :D

all together it's a nice set of pieces, only the front spring somewhat bothers me..

thanks for the reply!

16. Samster

Samster
    from Belgium

the Jap is a gonner
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Samster

Samster
    from Belgium

on to the main works:
    looks like King Kong passerd through here
    [​IMG]

at least I can now easily reach the front
    [​IMG]

big colour difference in the 'untreated' cabin.. also enough work to be done here:
    [​IMG]

18. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Well Samster, now you can do it up right.. keep postin the pics, that truck will be killer dude!!

19. Samster

Samster
    from Belgium

thanx, I don't expect any troubles getting the cabin off, I only hope and pray the steeringaxis can stay in place after location of the v8..

20. chickenshift

chickenshift

You have a awesome little project there. I will definitely be watching this thread for the progress. Cant wait to see it finished.---

21. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

Very cool project. I can't wait to see more of it.

22. Samster

Samster
    from Belgium

the lift!
    [​IMG]

bare chassis:
    [​IMG]

ik you have this amount of stuff in the chassis here in Belgium, you'll have holes in one winter I think!
    [​IMG]

clear view of the 'dry' piece under the cab
    [​IMG]

the pedals, incredible to know that the still were working in this state
    [​IMG]

front brakes:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Samster

Samster
    from Belgium

Y'all knodding wisely leaned backwards??

24. Coming along nicely.

25. lawman

lawman

Great start and keep posting !!! Tom (tired Old Man)

26. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

I'd say great start to a cool truck!
    What kills me though, you Europeans tow really big stuff with little bitty cars (Audi wagon towing, right?) We Yanks seem to need a one-ton dually just fetch parts! Ha!

Keep us posted!

27. Samster

Samster
    from Belgium

thanks for the replies ² ;-)
    one rows with the means he has right? :)

28. I was going to say the same thing, must be a later 35' no suicide doors. My brother just sold his 34' dodge PU, I love the way those early 30's dodge trucks look!! A buddy of mine has a 33' Plymouth truck cab with suicide doors that's for sale!

29. Samster

Samster
    from Belgium

late '35 was what i heard too yeah, did your brother have the flat six inthere, or a modified type? I'm looking for somebody with a small v8 in it, to perhaps get some pictures of the placement..

plain mean, that's what those little glamour pickups are!

30. dazzadodge

dazzadodge
    from adelaide

great looking truck,keep the update photos coming