Register now to get rid of these ads!

35 chevy/ford frame swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wideglide74, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Had a friend locate a 35 chevy frame that could potentialy find it's way under my greasy 34 ford pu project, if the rails look shapely forward of the cowl. Chassis guy and I go back and forth between modifying gennie rails or using tube on a weekly basis as I'm having a hard time locating a set of ford rails and at this point just want to get started on something. Just when I thought he was going to get started building a tube chassis he found a 35 chev pu frame that was orphaned during a pro street makeover which given my geographical location I can't look at for a few days. I would much prefer to use a stepped and Z'ed gennie frame as opposed to tube just to get a more authentic look and was wondering if anyone had photo's of the front section of a chevrolet frame from the cowl forward? I know GM used paralell leaves up front but I will be running a suicide mounted 39 ford axle so that's not an issue. I think there's at least two chev pu's on the board belonging to lukester and rocky? Thanks. Jason...

2. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

Uhhh...
    On www.carnut.com
    under "HAMB drags"
    Somebody's brown chevy coupe is posted there
    w/the dual leafs and what-not...

Does that help?
    [​IMG]

3. hightest

hightest

I think Eyeball used a chevy frame under his killer T, not sure what year though

4. hightest

hightest

5. LUKESTER

LUKESTER

the Main problem with the chevy truck frame is that it is 6" tall under the cab as opposed to 4" on cars. that will raise your ride up two more inches, I used one under my truck and I have tons of hours into changing it, I wish I would have known about the 6" thing before I started, so my truck could be lower. Basicly the only thing left on my frame is whats under the cab, and behind the rear wheels. chevy frames are really flat, and the front crossmember would have to be changed anyways...... I would use a FORD CAR frame instead ..... LUKESTER

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The '34 Ford truck body is somewhat wider than a '34 Ford frame--this might mean it would be practical to use a post '34 Ford frame, easier to find and cheaper to boot. Wescott catalog has basic dimensions for plotting and planning.

7. The chevy frame checked out o.k. when the a friend looked at for me on the weekend and is priced right @ $200, but also got word of a 34 ford car frame today (thanks Dave) and it's only a twelve hour drive from home. Looks like another road trip after Billetproof...

8. I've used the 34-35 chevy passenger car frames under a few projects with good luck. I use a tubular front crossmember with a ford spring in a suicide mount. The graceful front kickup looks nice with a open hood, highboy.On one of these, I mounted the front axle on top of the rails with upside down parallel leafs, using tall 17" 6 bolt wire wheels..
    Flyin J has used a pair of 41-48 ford passenger car rails with his own crossmembers to create a really cool lookin frame for his latest hot rod. They have a killer rear kick-up [must be over a foot!] that works great with a model A crossmember and spring. Fab up your own crossmembers to get the frame width you need. Shorten the rails as necessary for a lakes modified chassis.

9. Does anyone have any photo's of the front/mid section of the chevy frame.