Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '35-'40 Posie SS frt spring question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by gkgeiger, Oct 2, 2013.

1. gkgeiger

gkgeiger

I put a Sids 4" drop axle and Posie 2040R Super Slider front spring on my car about a month ago. Since then about 800 miles later the axle is setting on the rubber snubbers and looks to be almost straight across. Maybe even past straight. In other words the arch is gone. I love the look but I occasionally get a metallic sound when I hit a large bump. Anyone using this spring and do you have the same results? By the way I have new tube shocks. Writing that sentence makes me wonder if they are bottoming. Hmm!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  2. I'd bet it's not supposed to do that. I'd be on the phone pronto with Posies.

Also, what upper shock mounts do you have? I have CE mounts and they have two mounting places to adjust the shocks at ride height so they won't bottom...

I would assume your engine is not something really heavy like a caddy flathead? :)

3. gkgeiger

gkgeiger

Actually, I called Posies this morning before I posted this. The person on the phone knew nothing. He first blamed the dropped axle and when I explained that the drop was only on the end, he said it was normal and that "I wanted the car lower right". I have a P&J shock kit and there is only one mounting position. The rear has three. After looking at it again, I don't think the shocks are bottoming out. As far as engine weight I'm running a 59AB.

4. Sorry to hear that man... I think I'd ask to speak to someone else.. I've got a CE spring with their narrowed axle... I wonder how much mine will settle with a SBC.

5. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I have that spring in my 36 with a stock 38 axle, and the Pete and Jake shock kit, the axle sits almost straight across, but still has movement in it up and down.

I have a sbc as well, I can snap a pic if you need.

6. gkgeiger

gkgeiger

Don't go to any trouble, it's nothing I can't live with. I just talked to a guy on the FB and he has nearly the same set up and his car is sitting on the snubbers too. I guess that's the way it is.

7. Any spring settles once it gets road time on it try going to a smaller snubber .See if that gives you a little room betweeen the spring and snubber .Than see if it settles any more after some more road time

8. I used a super slide with a dropped tube axle on the coupe. It got to low after adding the super slide. I put a spacer between the crossmember and the spring to get a little height. Wish I'd kept my old spring.