Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 35-40 FORD REAR TCI KIT ??

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rockin rebel, Oct 5, 2016.

1. hey all, I just bought a TCI rear spring kit, with no rear spring..can not give them $600. US, for their spring so will someone measure their main leaf and tell me the leangh I will need..thanks in advance, Lloyd

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I think you need the length of the spring when it's not under load off the car. Keep in mind Ford made various size 1940 Ford springs with varying leaf counts. I don't think one size correctly fits all models. Do you have a coupe, convertible, sedan, pickup, etc ?

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. 42merc

42merc

If your are talking about their standard parallel leaf spring kit, the springs are 48" eye to eye.

4. tim troutman

tim troutman

I just bought 8 inch rear, springs, hangers ,shocks and mounts out of a 40 that a guys putting bigger tires on pretty sure tci eye centers look to be 47 1/4

5. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I "believe" the original use for the springs was '60s Dodge D100 FRONT spring.
    check my build thread for a variation on the rear spring mount.

6. i believe they are the same springs Chassis Engineering uses ...maybe theirs are cheaper?

7. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

You are correct those are the springs in question. Hard to find and I doubt you will locate and new ones for less than TCI sells them. Their springs are parabolic and offer a great ride compared to the old standard ones which bounce a lot. Mine measured 47 3/4".
    IMG_3042.jpg

8. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

How much does TCI sell the springs for? You might contact St. Louis Spring company, unless you just have to go the cheapest route, I under stand that route very well!

9. DeucemanLt1

DeucemanLt1

TCI installation instructions give a measurement of 48" for the springs and clear step by step on their website.
    Now all you need are springs.

10. Buckster

Buckster

My 30,000 mile CE rear springs had the following dimensions when I removed them from the car.
    Eye to Eye 47.94"
    Inside the arc to the garage floor 2.38"
    Spring pack thickness 1-1/8"

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My friend that gave me the '47 sedan included suspension 'kits'...the rear is a C.E., semi elliptic (parallel springs)
    This setup just doesn't 'belong' on a '35-'48 Ford (or Merc) I may use it, but will have to reverse the eyes, for starters.
    Nobody boxes the frame tails...those were designed to carry the weight of the gas tank.
    (Not a '47 body and passengers, luggage, AND gas.)
    Too many projects to change it to transverse, so I'll box it... grrrrr...