Register now to get rid of these ads!

35 3W build off

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chrisp, Feb 20, 2007.

1. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Hello..Looking good..Here is a picture of my 1935 Tudor..I didn't chop the top, like the original look..Thats my 1930, That I finished and is now in R.I.
    Keep up the good work..and progress
    Duane:cool:

Attached Files:

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've got some questions, are the 3Window doors the same length as the Tudor? Will the finished top be the same length as a stock 3Window or do you loose some deck length? I've always thought there was too much deck area on a 35-36 3Window, depending on what angle you're look at it. Really nice project.

3. chrisp

chrisp

Yes and yes I want the finished car to still look like a 3w coupe, I might make a longer custom deck lid though. I hope that the final product will make people scratch their head and ask "what the f...k is wrong with this car?"

4. George G

George G

How did you learn to do that shit?

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

I don't know were the car is, but the '36 Coupe that Coddington converted into a roadster had a full rear trunk lid, just like a 1940. I thought it looked great, you may want to look at that car.

6. Wow, great looking project. Glad to see the 'cluster-of-hemorrhoid' welding getting corrected. And the proportions will look even better, too.

But, why worry:
    That's what gravity's for!

I remember careening around in my friend Scott's '51 (I think) Ford pickup with only one or two bolts holding the cab on. But we were in high school and bulletproof...

-bill

bengeltiger likes this.
  7. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

damn i am sure glad my 5 window is solid...
    great work.cant wait to see more updates.Thanks.
    this is a definate tech week post!

8. chrisp

chrisp

I'm a bodyman by trade (went to school for that back in my country) so I have an idea of what I'm doing and how cars are made, but all the custom stuff I got it in my mind, it is hard to explain but I just "know" where to cut or not and how to put back the pieces together, that doesn't mean that it is the only way to do. Plus with now a dozen chops I got some experience too, but I think the main thing is to read as many tech books you can before even doing one and hours and hours of welding help too.

9. chrisp

chrisp

I was busy finishing an other car, so here's what I did to that puzzle
    A trunk frame out of aluminum
    [​IMG]
    For the skin I got a '06 Bentley Continental GT hood (with a nice fade away peak down the middle) that I chopped off.
    I finished the door inner reinforcements, lead and everything (still needs to be patched at the bottom though, if the customer still has money lol)
    [​IMG]
    A quick mock up with a Chevy grille for now, at ride height at least with the bags deflated (when there will be some)
    [​IMG]
    The rear fender is extended 8" and downward too, I have to make flush skirts too, but I need the new frame to mount everything in a more sturdy way and move the car to a flat surface to build everything leveled with the running board and the ground.
    [​IMG]
    Still needs work but the general shape is here.
    [​IMG]
    The gap between the rear body panel and the ground will receive a bumper tucked between the fenders.
    I'd like to see that thing draggin' some fishtails tips down the road.

10. chrisp

chrisp

Here goes some more work for this week
    Mock up of the trunk and fabrication of it's surroundings, I also modified different brackets from the sedan (those from the coupe were inexistant) to reienforce the framing for that "factory original" look
    [​IMG]
    Fabrication of half of the filler piece
    [​IMG]
    Here's the almost finished product
    [​IMG]

11. 31whitey

31whitey

wow...fine work man...some real fine work

12. HHRdave

HHRdave
    BANNED
    from So Cal

Nice work!!!.. Los Angeles labor prices... looking at the pics, I hope you are charging $10,000 min. for what you have done so far. Keep posting pics!!

13. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Very cool..Keep us posted...

Troy still smells.

14. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Wow That Is A Lot Of Work! Going To Look Good Though. That Chop Was Really Bad!

15. chrisp

chrisp

Hard to shake that wet dog smell heh!:D
    He's gonna kick my ass on monday now:( .

16. SKRTCHSR

SKRTCHSR
    from Cincinnati

Wow! You're talent and they have you working in a tent??? Move to Ohio I will let you in the Garage..

17. Impressive work. Fabricator at the shop where I hang out does amazing work. And like you, he can not explain how he does it. Just picks up the sheet stock and starts beating on it. And when he is done it is done.

18. Amazing work and I love the extended rear fenders. Want to do that to my 37 Chevy coupe I am building for my wife. Your work is excellent.

19. chrisp

chrisp

It's So Cal not Snow Cal, nice and warm most of the time + I'm weird + I make a lot of noise + I make dust + I make fun of people, so it's better to keep me outside lol.

I prefer being called a bodyman than a fabricator, to me this is bodywork, it is part of the job, it's only that 90% (if not more) of the bodymen in repair shop don't know half of the job, schools are not helping either.

Thank you all for the congrats.

20. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Chrisp,

Killer job on the '35. Will most of the filler work be done in lead?
    Was the rear deck panel surround formed on an English wheel?
    I noticed the layout lines drawn on the panel, were they for the
    tracking patterns?

Thanx,

Swankey Devils C.C.

21. chrisp

chrisp

Yes most of the filler is going to be lead, for 2 reasons :
    1: this is a leadsled not a bondosled
    2: the car's gona stay in bare metal for some time because the customer is probably not gona have enough dough for a nice paint. This is an expansive build and everytime I'm done with something or nearly done he comes up with other mods somewhere else on the car.

The lines on the filler is to keep track of what I do on large panels. This filler started as the roof insert (thus the lines) but I fucked it up so I recycled it as the trunk surrounding (minimum loss of time and material).

22. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Great to see a build up of this magnitude on the HAMB!
    I just hope the owner ponies up with the cash to finish it.
    Does this mean "The Shitroen" has been forsaken?

Swankey Devils C.C.

23. chrisp

chrisp

The cool thing with the owner is that he knows what he wants and is open to negociations and other ideas, he is not crying about his bill either even though he knows he is on a shrinking budget, but he is really eager to drive it, I'd like to drive it too for that matter (dreaming doesn't cost a thing).
    I'm still working on the Shitroen 1h every 2 weeks, so if the rust doesn't disolve it, I should be done in about 30 years, in time for my retirement.

24. Any updates on this car (or the Shitroen)?

25. chrisp

chrisp

Didn't get a chance to post an update on the 35, maybe this week. On the Shitroen I'm just doing some mechanical, slowly, so nothing interesting for now on that one.

26. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

I'm diggin this thread:)
    Great Job and love all the body work your doing. I'm totally bias here, but it seems like that car should stay with an original '35 grill, i think would look better instead of the Chevy one. I can't wait to see more progress pics ... your one very talented man with metal!

awesome... keep it comin and thanks for sharing this build with us, very inspiring indeed.

27. Django

Django
    from Chicago

That is some intense rebuilding!

28. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

I got this spyshot of Cab's 35 3 window after his recent top secret changes......
    [​IMG]

29. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

Scotty,
    you got way too much time on your hands my friend:) Now... go pick up that next project of yours and get to work, if ya gonna make Billetproof this year!

quit letting people know what i'm up too these days:(

30. chrisp

chrisp

The customer told me this was a 1934 Packard grille (I'd ask him for a 40 grille and he came back with that), but I doubt it cause Packard grilles are not curved at the bottom and have more bars, I doubt too that this a Chevy even from a COE, they have horryzontal bars, I have no clue of what this is, but I like it and the customer loves it too for it's massive look.If somebody knows and have a pic, would be nice. I'm gonna try to post pics tonight or tomorrow night:eek: