Register now to get rid of these ads!

35/36 Ford pickup bed vs 38 pickup - differences?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flat Ernie, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Recently acquired a '36 Ford Pickup (pics soon) and it's missing the bed. Considered a flatbed, but figured I might as well find a bed for it. I know they're available repro, but a bit too rich for me right now.

Might have a line on a '38 Ford Pickup bed - can anyone tell me the differences? Will my '36 fenders bolt up (I do have good 36 pickup fenders)? Any other significant differences?

I assume the size is the same (35-41 trucks were all about the same frame) & I assume the bed-side & tailgate are probably different styles at least, but not sure...

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Bestest source is the catalog from the repro pickup bed company...Mack Products??
    I have their book of PU pictures with their catalog in back showing dimensions, beads, tailgates, etc, along with all hardware

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

http://www.mackhils.com/

35-36 are identical.
    37 is about 10 inches longer.
    38-47 are the same.
    I doubt you could just bolt it on using 36 fenders.

4. kruzin karl

kruzin karl

At least you have the hard to find part, the rear fenders.
    I see beds on eBay all the time, reasonably priced.

5. Dirk35

Dirk35

I just got an aftermarket bed sides, front, the back bottom peice, and tailgate a couple of weeks ago. Ill sell you my bed sides, tailgate, the back bottom peice, and front panel really reasonable, as soon as I take them off. You can make your own frame to put it together. PM me if your interested.

6. 067chevy

067chevy

yep 35, 36 are the same
    37 is 4'' longer and has a rail support just above the center of the fender under the side rail of the bed.
    38-41 ar the same and then the 42-47 get 3' wider

7. 067chevy

067chevy

36 bed sides are 70 1/2'' long and the 38 bed sides are 78 3/4''. they are the same width but the tail gates are very different

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, I found my Mack pickup catalog, confirming all the above. The two beds are from different planets. By the way, the book and attached catalog with dimensional sketches of all beds '32--52 is very informative. They have another covering earlier beds.

9. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Thanks, everyone. Ordered a Mack Products catalog - someone told me they manufacture the beds everyone else sells - that would explain why they're significantly cheaper than most of the early Ford repro houses.

There are other options out there still...