Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 348 W LENGTH VS SBC, WILL IT FIT 35 FORD?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lewk, Nov 14, 2016.

1. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

I've got a line on a '59 348 out of a car. The price is probably right, but I need to call in favors to get it (buddy's ex-wife's dad....). I'm building a '35 Ford 3 Window and I've set it up for a 283 with a T10 4spd. I'm using a Hurst front mount and a chassis engineering style center section to replace the stock sheet metal box in the center of the frame X. My front bones are un-split. I know 348-409s are longer than a SBC, but I don't know where. Is the block about the same size with a longer water pump, or???
    I don't want to push things much farther back, then I'd need to cut the firewall, split the bones, and cut the frame. The tilted radiator in '35-'36 doesn't leave much room. Can I stuff that 348 in and use a pusher fan on the front of the radiator, or am I hosed?

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

A conventional BBC is approximately 2" wider, taller and longer than a SBC.

lewk and LOU WELLS like this.
  3. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Thanks for the BBC info. Any word on W Blocks?
    Everything is better with pics, here's my 283/T10 mocked up. You can see that the shifter is already nibbling into the frame. That's why I don't want to have to go farther back to fit a 348. I'll snap a pick of the radiator spacing later.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. I dropped one in a '55 Chevy once and it seems like it was a drop-in other than the motor mounts and possibly a slight firewall tweak with a hammer. Also did a '59 Vette without much modification.

lewk likes this.
  5. It looks like you have a Hurst type mount on the front of the block. This is a measurement from the back of the block where the bellhousing mounts to the front surface of the W block. It all should work. Your bellhousing ought to stay exactly where it is. Hell, Tri 5 rear mounts could be used with that bell. Even if you have to move the front cradle fore or aft, go for it!

Attached Files:

lewk likes this.
  6. lewk likes this.
  7. R Pope

R Pope

348/409 use the same bore spacing as a BBC, so I assume it's going to be longer than a SBC.

lewk likes this.
  8. Great stuff. Very informative.

lewk likes this.
  9. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

The actual 348/409 block is just under two inches longer than SBC IIRC. The heads are three inches wider IIRC. The heights are about the same. Front mount might be different but the side mounts should be the same. I can get exact measurements tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lewk likes this.
  10. Not sure of the actual dimensions; but a long time ago when we put a 348 in a '57 Chev, we had to pound the firewall back a little; but more importantly, due to the added length, we moved the radiator forward to the 6 cyl location. Based on my '35 with a short pump sbc, I don't think you have that kind of room, without getting into the firewall and other stuff, even running a pusher fan.
    I'm tight on the firewall, with barely room for a mechanical fan up front.
    IMG_2852 (Small).jpg

lewk likes this.
  11. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

I tried dropping a 348 in a 39 sedan with an adapter for early ford. Would not work with the original steering box so went with small block.

lewk likes this.
  12. 35WINDOW

35WINDOW

I have a Big Block in my '35, and I'll tell you that it is an extremely tight fit (and I have a 6" Firewall setback)-even then, a cooling fan is difficult, and fitting a A/C condenser is no fun-

lewk likes this.
  13. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think you will notice the problem area is at the steering box. Either the box or the manifold must be moved.

lewk likes this.
  14. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Thanks for all the info! This has all been very very helpful. I measured clearances on the 283, I might be kinda hosed if I don't want to push a 348 back into the firewall, cut the frame more and split the bones. The 283 is actually sitting about 1/4" too far back right now because my '35 pedals are hanging up on the T10 shift linkage. I need '39 pedals.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. LewK - is your measurement from the bellhousing flange?
    So the W is longer. How about one of those electric water pumps? That would buy you the room needed up front(?).

16. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Yes, it's from the seam between the bell housing and the block. I'll have to find out about those water pumps.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

If you want it bad enough , it will fit ;)

WC145 likes this.