Register now to get rid of these ads!

348 question???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jkustom, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey everyone, Im wondering about the length of a 348 chevy... I assume the 409's are the same size???
    I have heard something about them being the same length from the mounts forward as a small block? or maybe it was from the mounts back... I dont know. How long are the damn things? Im thinking of engine options for my 34 truck, I dont wanna recess the firewall too far cuz I am a tall sumbitch, Im qurious how much Id have to bring it back to fit a 348. I have a couple smallblocks that I could go with, but Id rather something besides that... What do you guys think? Thanks... -J.

2. I dont know everything about W motors, I am new to em. But I do know that from the mounts back they are like a small block. As far as head clearance, the heads are at a lower angle than a later BBC. I would suggest www.348-409.com for real answers

3. Satinblack

Satinblack

Thats sounds right. I know my impala had a 348 and then a 283 was dropped in and the owner said it bolted right in place. Satin

4. The BBC, SBC, and 348/409 are all the same length from the mounts back. The 348/409 are lower and wider than the other engines, so you might run into some firewall problems.

5. I went with the front center measurements from a 32 Ford. Which is 32" from firewall to center of front crossmember. It fit fine.This is with a 348 in my touring. Your 34 frame should have more than enough room.

6. jerry

jerry

chevy made all the blocks the same from the motor mount to the bellhousing mount. the only difference is the length in front of the motor mount. makes it esier on the assy line.

jerry

7. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey thanks for the imput guys! Im trying hard to stay away from the sbc alternative.... And W motors are cool.

Oh BTW, On the way home from work today some lady ran red light and damn near hit my 56 buick... She was going about 40 too... Good thing I have my breaks set up good.... woulda been hit just about perfectly in the middle of the passenger side, probly totalled....... Lucky day I guess.... -J