Register now to get rid of these ads!

348 gurus, I could use some advice...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rolf, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Rolf

Rolf

W-enthusiasts...

I have a 1958 348 Passenger engine for my 1958 Sport Coupe. I am taking it apart as we speak.

I have a tri-power set up for it, and I am planning on running a super T-10 behind it. I am not going for "factory correct", but I will work on making it look traditional of course.

It will be more for show than go, so I am not going for maximum horsepower, I just want it to be a good running and sounding motor.

It looks like it will need a cam anyway, so what do you recommend? I don't mind a little un-even idle for ""effect"

Should I stay with non-roller rockers? What kind of push rods would you think?

High volume oil pump?

Any other thoughts?

Who is you favorite supplier?

2. Terry O

Terry O

Lamar Walden is the guy you want to talk with and he has everything you need.
    Heres his site:
    www.lamarwaldenautomotive.com

If I can piggyback on your post...

I desperately need a Weiand 4x2 or 6x2 to finish my 348. Anybody??

Terry

3. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

this was my set-up, it made 330hp, but sounded KILLER...58 348, 3x2's, isky 262 cam, stock stamped rockers, springs to match the cam (i think they were crane 880's), i ran hardened push rods, and stainless valves, 3 angle valve job, and very mild port work (mainly just to clean up the heads). you dont really want a high volume oil pump, because the oil returns arent too good in a w-motor, a stock pump would be fine...it ran great, NEVER gave me a problem, always started right up...I HIGHLY recommend Aubrey Bruneau, in Canada, heres his web site, http://www.bruneauperformance.ca/ , I have used him many times, GREAT guy...,Mike

4. IGOR

IGOR

Lamar is definitely the "W" man. He's in Ga. I believe.

5. Rolf

Rolf

Thanks fellas, great info. Hotrod29, you are right on the money, that combo would be perfect for me. If I wanted to go really fast, I could just buy a 502 crate motor, but that would not be the point.

Thanks

6. jetmek

jetmek

smokey yunick says it aint right for a hipo engine to have the combustion chambers in the cylinders! but dont listen to me i run a flathead!

7. Rolf, there is some very good advice above. I happen to be running a 425 hp solid lifter cam. Most folks tell me the valves need adjustment since they never hear solids anymore! My pal runs rollers. My next W will have them. This car dememded solids though. Art has loads of W parts and is always willing to sell. Let me know if you ned anything, I will pass along his number. He knows his Ws and runs in those circles and is always willing to help out.

8. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Yeah. You can't beat the sound of a solid cam. I'm in the W market as well. I know Rolf is already on the board at 348-409.Com.

As with any engine... the better the components you use, the better the engine. Its all what you want to spend. Watch for the roller rockers, though. I remember reading about clearance issues somewhere. Stock pushrods should be fine unless you are running some big spring pressure or rev the piss out of it.