Register now to get rid of these ads!

346 flat head caddy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by T__N__A, Jun 7, 2006.

1. T__N__A

T__N__A

I just pic up a couple of 346 caddy motor and I was curious what they are worth. One is a complete long block with an automatic tranny and the other is just a short block. I was told the long block was running when it was pulled 6 years ago, im thinking i got them for a good deal but i was just wondering what there going for.

Thanks

2. 38caddy

38caddy
    from RI

You know, I don't know what they are worth, but if you do a search on the Bay, you can see what some people want to charge for them. Here:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1937...6QQihZ002QQcategoryZ34202QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    is one that is up for $149 with no bids as of yet. Of course, I can't recall any actually selling. In my opinion, they are worth somewhere between $200-$1500 depending on condition, completeness and if its running or not. Depending on the year, I don't think the tranny is worth all that much... maybe a couple hundred bucks.

I think there are two problems with these engines, if you are looking to sell them. The first problem is perceptions of worth. I have seen people looking to get $1500 for a "was running 5 years ago when it was pulled" model that looks like it was kept in a field or even a pond and is missing many of the extra pieces like water pump, distrib., carb., etc.

The other problem is the fact that they are different. People would dump a wad of cash on a stuck tired Ford Flathead, but shy away from a solid running Caddy flattie with far more power.

Anyway, if you want to get rid of them, I could maybe throw a couple bucks at you for scrap metal. :) Actually, nevermind. I might be able to sneak 1 into the garage without the wife noticing, but definitely not two. :)

3. Mutt

Mutt

Cars:ALL

Car Club:NONE

Biography:NONE

Based on the intro and information you shared, I would say their worth is NONE ON ALL THE STREETS.

How long have you been part of the witness protection program?

Mutt

4. T__N__A

T__N__A

since there not worth anything ill probly just srap them, their pretty heavy I might get a couple bucks back.

as long as I can remember....

5. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

They weigh nearly 1/2 a ton. I'd scrap it.

6. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

I'll give ya $50 each for them if you will deliver.

7. 38caddy

38caddy
    from RI

You can always try to sell them here:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Or even here:

http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/cgi-bin/user/forum.cgi?select=/clc/clcsale&action=view

You never know what the right person will pay for them. There is always the eBay route too, but as I said, I haven't ever seen one sell there. I would try the "free" classified routes first before you go forward with scrap prices. Set the price for $50 more than you would get for scrap and you will still be getting extra cash for them. I would love to have an extra motor to build for max power, but I just don't have the space. Right now, my all my body parts (for the car) are laying on the concrete floor until I clean out my garage. I really need to do that... :)

8. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

Sounds like the engines I was trying to buy on "The Streets" of Bakersfield. Funny how people think these engines are highly desireable or worth a fortune. You can still find new tank engines in the crate in cosmoline never ran with stewart warner tachs and tach drives if you look hard enough. I've seen them for $4000 and less but keep in mind that's for a brand new engine!!