Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 34 rear into T or A chassis?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dumprat, Dec 13, 2020.

1. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

So I have a 34 rear and T rear spring. What do I have to do to fit it into an A or T chassis? It's for an open wheel car with no turtle deck.

And for what it's worth the spring mounts on the axle are not canted and T spring is about 1/2 shorter eye to eye.

2. I put a T spring on a '34 axle in my "big car" on a T frame. IIRC I just trimmed the spring hangers down so I could use the T shackles?

3. I just looked at my thread. Appearantly I heated the hangers to make them perpendicular to the axle too since the '34s are crooked?

5. rusty valley

rusty valley

a real 34 rear has a curved spring to put the mounting pad in the frame cross member back far enough to clear the diff when the suspension bottoms out. later, ford made the hangers longer to get the same result with a straight spring. so...if you are using a T spring, which is straight, you will get away with it because the T spring has a much higher arch to clear the diff. guessing, here, never done it

6. 31Apickup

31Apickup

The A & T both have the spring over the axle, so you’d need to add spring perches to the axle. If you keep the stock 34 spring mounts, then you’d need to extend the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

cactus1 likes this.