Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 34 PU *** Low Buck build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Kiwi Kev, Feb 4, 2014.

1. lowerod

lowerod

hi kev ever get the feeling u need more room ????????????????
    cheers
    Tony

2. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

"I took a week vacation from work so I could focus on it."

I envy you there. That's the kind of vacation I need to dedicate back to myself at least once a year! I seem to always get wrapped up in a family trip (which is fun) or some sort of house remodel project around here.

Love your builds Kev. The scrounge, trade for parts or make due with what's on hand builds are my favorites. Gonna really enjoy seeing you put this one together!
    I too, love using C clamps for set up and welding work. Just picked up another dozen or so at a garage sale for $3 each. Can't have too many of them.

3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Great little truck. Those are fun to work on. Good start. Time for me to find another build. Been a long time...

4. I painted the front 2/3 of the frame and got some stuff bolted in. Maybe not the normal thing to do but it lets me get the cab back on and out of my way so I can work on different parts of the truck at my leisure. No point painting the back until I put some rear suspension in. It will be a home made parallel leaf setup. Before the cab goes on I need to adapt the iron case T.10 4 speed tranny to the Y block. I also need to rebuild the bottom half of the firewall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tim, volvobrynk and farmer12 like this.
  5. Are you planning on running the stock fan? You always make it look so easy!

6. lowerod....I dream of having more room but I think I would get myself in trouble if I did. I have enough room to work on one or 2 projects.

El Hueso.....I don't have a stock fan , I don't have room to go forward of the fan mounting surface so I think I will run some sort of flex fan. Pretty sure I will be cutting the forward groove off the lower pulley to make it work. I will only be running one belt.

7. brady1929

brady1929

8. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Looking good.Thanks for the updates!

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

So awesome!! I love a KiwiKev build thread!!!!

I love all of this because it's a lot of what I am doing on my '33. I need to heat and bend my steering arms to run on top of the wishbone like you did. Much cleaner looking and it looks like the obvious way to go.

10. Good to see old b/c speed gear in the USA ,looks like my old 3x2 manifold I traded with Chris?awesome build,keep up the good work kev

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
    volvobrynk likes this.
  11. Awesome project Kev

12. cody1958

cody1958
    from wichita ks

Come on Come on im ready for some more updates!!!

13. Love all the things you do Kev. Your shop and cars are the cats meow! LOL I could look at your stuff for hours. Hope the nasty habit willys is well?

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. I have been figuring out what to do about a transmission. I have a few Ford 3 speeds and I compared them to a T10 4 speed I have. It looked like all I needed to do was machine a couple of sleeves and make an adapter plate and it would be on there. But then I discovered truck bellhousing is different than a car bellhousing and none of the transmissions I have will reach the pilot bushing using the truck bellhousing. I have decided to try and find a truck 3 speed with overdrive that will just bolt up. I didn't really want a transmission that isn't synchro into 1st but I can get used to it. So I am kind of on the hunt, any leads out there?

young gun.....I'm sure that's your old manifold. Do you know what cars it has been on?

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. That manifold with purchase brand new from green lane speed shop by my dad's buddy.at that time he had just purchased the old Auckland gemini plastics f100 ex ambulance and was going to run a 272 that he had.the sad bit is he lived by the beach in Kerri Kerri just north of Auckland and the f100 with left out side,after about 15 or so years the sea air had claimed the f100(rust)and the manifold was left in he's shed till I got it.so that manifold had never been on a motor.hope that helps kev

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
    volvobrynk likes this.
  16. Hey Kev, was at our local drag meet and thinking of Berry and Chung stuff and Dave walked past. JW
    [​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. ^^^cool to see Dave Chung still in the car hobby!

Time for an update. It wasn't as easy as I thought finding a truck 3 spd OD trans and while contemplating my next move I was contacted by NealinCA saying a guy on the Ford Barn had a trans that might work for my project. He put me in touch with Al Barrows, turns out Al is a super nice guy who has a beautiful 34 pick up project that is nearing completion at Limeworks. Many years ago he had bought a SROD (single rail overdrive) 3 spd manual trans from an 81 Ford pickup for his project but changed his mind and went with an automatic. This is a transmission with only 13 miles on it since new, turns out the 81 pickup had fallen off the transporter. Al said it had been sitting on a shelf covered in a blanket for I think 20 years and if I could use it on my project I could have it for free. I went down to pick it up and meet Al, what a nice guy and he had a couple of super clean early Ford pickups to check out an a nice backyard workshop. Now I have what I consider the perfect trans for my pick up (synchro into first and overdrive) but I am going to have to change from a truck bell housing to a car one and adapt it. That means I will be adding side mounts to the engine and doing away with the bell housing mounts. I will probably lose a day of work but well worth it. It has its own shifter so I can't use the B/C shifter but I will use the handle and shift knob.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  18. Being limited with space I wanted to get the cab back in so I don't have so much big stuff spread out around here. That meant I needed to get the bottom half of the firewall done as a big chunk was missing and it needed modifying to clear the engine properly.I also had to repair the driver side front mounting foot that was missing and one of the radiator support rod mounts. There were also some previous hole repairs in the firewall that needed a little attention.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made up some rubber pads and bolted the body down. Before this I actually channeled the back of the body about an inch because to me it looked like the cab was leaning forward on the chassis with the chassis at about ride height. It didn't change any inside dimensions but did give the truck a lower look. Next I replaced the lower dual groove pulley on the engine with a single groove one that was donated by my friend Ojai Rick (AKA DE SOTO, banned) and bolted on a flex fan I had laying around . After that I bolted on the headlight bar, I think it is a Model A one that I modified for this truck a few years back. The headlights are 34 commercial repros that I got on a labor trade years ago. It is nice to get parts bolted on for hopefully the last time so I am not tripping over them.

[​IMG]

Tim and farmer12 like this.
  19. That's a great trans solution, 13 miles, who get's that lucky.
    Looking forward to seeing this truck come together.

You posted more progress before I was done typing, damn you work fast!

20. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

21. Love it Kevin!

22. So cool! Love the fact you're using a Y-Block:cool:

23. Love the project, subscribed!
    That garage is awesome...my wife would kill me if I did that at home, love it!

24. Hey kev what do you have to do to put the srod behind the Yblock?

25. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Wow, what an awsome pickup! That firewall came out perfect too

26. sko ford....Not sure yet exactly what it will take, I need to get a car bell housing bolted on and start measuring. It looks like maybe the trans bolt pattern on the bell housing can be drilled in the mounting tabs of the new trans.

Here is the 1" channel ....

[​IMG]

I got the grill shell and insert done and bolted in place. As usual too much time and not much money invested. The shell was a swap meet purchase from years ago. It was very rough and looks OK now but still not straight enough for real paint. The insert was made from 2 rough ones, it took a lot of splicing, welding and JB weld to make it look presentable. Far from perfect but perfect will look out of place on this truck. I also got my Judson coil ($20 at Turlock swap meet} and B/C dagger dip stick handle bolted in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The dash has now been modified to accept the SW panel. Some other holes were filled and it was body worked and primed. The truck will be primer but I plan on painting the dash and having it pinstriped, not sure what color yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    Tim and farmer12 like this.
  27. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

28. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Looking good man!

29. Thanks man that sounds like a stout combo

30. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Great deal on that trans, Kev! You'll really appreciate that overdrive if that rear has the typical 4.11 or so that so many of those trucks had.

On your firewall, are you still using the Rustoleum Rusty metal primer on the worj you showed a page or two back? Have you ever painted over that with regular automotive paint later on down the line? Just curious, 'cause I've been using it a bit too, but I'm thinking of doing nice finish paint a little later.