Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 34 pick up build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by regardstobuck, May 3, 2016.

1. regardstobuck

regardstobuck
    from Logan Ut

Hey guys,

Its been a few years since my last post. I was gifted a 34 pickup by my dad 3 years ago... but as they say, "life got in the way". Slowly the fire is beginning to burn again, and i have actually started moving on it. you can check out the previous thread here:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...e-0-34-ford-pickup-build.819956/#post-9097617

I figured I would start a new thread to document the build.

So far i have stripped it down and started cleaning up the frame a bit...
    the frame is pretty bent, it looks like it was hit from the front drivers side as everything is pushed toward the passenger side

It also looks like a there may have been a snowplow? or something attached to it as two 1/2 in plates were welded to the frame at about the firewall line. There was actually a lot of crap cut and welded to to the frame. It seems like everywhere i turned there was something else welded to it.

So my plan from here is to sand blast the frame and get it on a frame rack to straighten it. put in a front cross member and box in the rails. I really like the look of the original rivet style vs. a beautifully clean perfectly boxed frame. I want to keep some of the character of the frame.

As for drivetrain here is what I am planning...

I picked up a rebuilt Flathead last year. right now its all stock but i plan on going through it and making a little more hot rod-ish? I haven't torn it down to find out what has been done.... That is a ways out.

I am planning on running a T5 from an S10 as a transmission.

Id like to keep the banjo rear-end but have no clue when it comes to knowing what is good and what to look for. I have the original rear end... it would to be converted to Juice brakes though. or should i go with something else? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

As for the front end. Im not really sure what would be good route to take.
    The front axle is bent a bit, but I'm sure it could be straightened based on what i have read here... what would be a good juice brake conversion? I plan on splitting the bones and im not sure as to what type of steering yet. So many options! i'd love to hear your opinions.

Any advice on front crossmember? I could maybe repair the original, it has some stress cracks and someone took a torch to the mounts. I am also missing the driver side bracing plate. Or should I go after market?

Ultimately I would like the truck to sit much lower than stock but it needs to be able to be driven. I plan on driving her. I really need some direction here... I would love some advice on practical ways of lowering the truck. I would like to hear what has worked for everyone and why? there are a lot of options.

Here are some pics so far.
    IMG_6203.JPG

Notice the 1/2 plates on the frame that hang down.
    IMG_6222.JPG
    Most everything removed from the frame. Notice the kink on the left frame railrything remove

IMG_6223.JPG
    Front crossmember with awesome homemade mounts
    IMG_6224.JPG IMG_6225.JPG IMG_6226.JPG
    crossmember removed

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and Hotrodmyk like this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

If the original front end wasn't already sitting there ( unsplit wishbone ), I'd have thought those 1/2" plates were split wishbone mounts.

If I was you I'd find a friend or shop with a jig specifically for 34 frames and have them tweek it back into shape. They have a lot of curves and it isn't easy to fix them on a plain flat table. And use the original crossmember. Somebody out there in HAMBland has got to have the missing corner for you.

3. regardstobuck

regardstobuck
    from Logan Ut

Yeah, What I am planning on doing is building something similar to this... as far frame tables go. Is this what you had in mind?
    Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 3.50.50 PM.png

4. alchemy

alchemy

Yes, but with more uprights down the rails. My brother built one and I think he has at least four mount points on each side. Probably more.

5. regardstobuck

regardstobuck
    from Logan Ut

Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks for the advice!
    Ill be getting the frame sand blasted soon and then I'll haul it over to my dads shop and start tweaking it.

6. I think Alchemy is right on target. That frame has a lot of issues. You need to find a frame table that is already set up with the right placement for a 34 frame so that you can bring it all in line again.

7. regardstobuck

regardstobuck
    from Logan Ut

Do you think it would be easier/cheaper to find some straight rails? Or repops?

8. Don't know what it costs to have those straightened, but repop side rails are about 600-700 depending upon where you buy them.

9. Doctorterry

Doctorterry