Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 34 gas tank cover

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by vet57air, Jan 9, 2015.

1. I am removing the bumpers on my 3 window and am having problems fitting a new gas tank cover . It is a Howell sheet metal piece. It is not wide enough. Howell says they have never had this problem. I have cut off both sides about 4 inches in and added 1/2" strips to make it fit right. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone else make this part?

2. Early Ford in Springfield Ohio sells them. I'd like to see a pic of the rear of your car. It seems strange to me that it won't fit. Tim

3. My roadster is glass on a stock frame & chassis & measures approx 45" between the bottom edge where it attaches to the fenders.
    How wide is the one you have?

Attached Files:

4. I see one for a 32 but not 33-34? 20150109_125710_resized.jpg
    This one is a smoothie unit and came with no holes. My original one (for bumper) fit well.

5. I have about the same 45".

6. vetair: I checked the EF site. They have stock style and one with recessed license. I'm sure you don't want either since you told us what your working towards. They were 275/300. I can only assume the Howell unit was too short!!? I hate that, I've used some of their stuff with no complaints. You've probably done what most of us would do, make it fit. Unfortunate but even some high end companies don't get it right every time. Keep after it and send us some pics when you get it back together. I guess hind sight would have you modifying the one you took off? Was it a glass one? Tim

7. My car is all steel. I didn't want to cut up the stock unit as myself or someone down the road my want bumpers again. Dimensionally the Howell unit was a little short say 1/2" but the shape at the top did not match the body at the corners and I needed more material there. Also there is a body line that they put in along the bottom about 3" up. I have not seen that before. Going to try to shrink it to minimize.

8. Take good care of that thing!!!
    I had a steel roadster a number of years back and would just love to have another or even a coupe. Maybe next? Have fun and let us know how it turns out.