Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 34 Ford truck build a.k.a ( The Black Dahlia)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by quandel_garage, Dec 25, 2012.

1. quandel_garage

quandel_garage

Picked this beauty up after regretting selling my previous one. This truck is surprisingly solid for being from Wisconsin. So here's the plan. 7" chop 3-5" section. Slotted square tube chassis. Rear cantilever suspension , open wheel , unsure of motor and transmission combo. Here's some pics. Hope you enjoy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. quandel_garage

quandel_garage

3. quandel_garage

quandel_garage

4. fleetside66

fleetside66

Wow, that's a pretty radical chop. So, you're actually going to take 3-1/2" out of the body? I don't think I've ever seen one of these sectioned...if I'm reading you right. I'll be watching this with great interest. I'm supporting your idea all the way, but I hope you're small in stature, because things will be a tad tight. Since you had one before, you're probably aware of that. Good luck & keep us updated.

5. swissmike

swissmike

I don't think the real black Dahlia was even chopped quite as much.

6. quandel_garage

quandel_garage

I'm aware of what I'm doing and what look I'm going for. I'm also aware of the proportions and what the limits are to be able to fit. You can keep the negative smart a$$ comments to yourself. If you don't like what I'm doing don't follow my build. Im not here to fight with people over the internet.

7. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Looking good so far! I love these 32-34 Fords. Are you planning to run it with the hood top only?

8. quandel_garage

quandel_garage

Thanks for the comments. Ill be running no hood. Most likely there will be a blower in its place :). As long as funds work out.

9. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Definitely interesting.

[​IMG]

10. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

El' Jefe owns the 'real' Black Dahlia I'd look for another name...

[​IMG]

11. quandel_garage

quandel_garage

I might just have to.do that but its the name that hits me when i think about it.

12. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I wish you all the luck on your build, but hope your not over about 5'2"

Just sayin'....

Cantilever rear suspension? I gotta hear more.

13. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Good work man ! I like the looks without the section imho, get you a little more leg room as well. Cant wait to see the cantilever setup, there cool as hell

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I wouldn't. No copyrights on car names, that I know of. While that's a radical chop for my size, I get where you're going with it. Keep it up.

15. Slow Steve

Slow Steve

Looking good! I'm new to these type of rods, but this is the look that got me over here and one I would like to do/have. Keep it up man.

16. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

when my dad orginally built mine it was chopped about 6 inches and channeled the width of the frame with a 4 speed (no way I could work the 3rd pedal in that space). there was another guy in the club who had his "twin" expcept that it had a tunnel ram and 2 4's sticking up--you had to lean over into the passengers seat to look around it--I never saw this one on the road, but I understand it was a baddass when it was--the guy sold it out of the blue from his collection a few years back--shame.

I can see where you heading with the section accompanying the chop and channel in terms of proportions. That'd be overkill for my 6 foot/270 fat ass, but that what makes this hobby great--bold vision, quality execution and personal tastes. I'm always interested to see the directions these little trucks take.

17. flyin flattie

flyin flattie
    from Redmond OR

dude please tell me your leaving it 1 ton!!!! that would be the sickest shit ever

18. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

For something to have that heavy a chop, it's really gotta be a bad ass. But I'm curious to see how this one turns out. If you're not happy with it, hey, it's only metal and a little more work.

I think a Caddy engine would suit the name "Black Dahlia" very well. ;)

19. Hotrodhell35

Hotrodhell35

20. 1952henry

1952henry

'Tis actually a 1.5 ton. Ford didn't build a tonner til 38 or 39.

21. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I really like the wicked chop. FWIW I don't have any issues seeing out of my 34 pickup that's chopped 6" and channelled 4". Something I would suggest which helped visibility on my truck was to drop the dash down 1". My seats are on the floor and it made it hard to see over the dash. Dropping it down made a huge difference.

22. F&J

F&J

X2, and that trimming under the windshield above the cowl, looks so much better on a chopped 32-34 pickup. The more chop a truck has, the uglier that lower stock piece gets IMO.

It's just getting the proportions right, after a serious chop. And sectioning 1" out of the visor helps with the proportions too.

23. quandel_garage

quandel_garage

Thanks for the advice and the comments. I plan on starting on the doors and finishing the chop hopefully tomorrow. Ill take some more detailed pics and hopefully get started on the section. As for the cantilever setup... i saved the cast leaf spring brackets and plan on integrating them into the cantilever setup at the pivot points. I want to keep all the parts period correct but with a little out of the box thinking.

24. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

how bout a pic?

25. quandel_garage

quandel_garage

I would be interested in seeing how you.lowered.the lower lip of the windshield.

26. kingpins

kingpins

good luck with your truck. im interested to see how it comes out

27. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

You are going at it. Good luck with the project!

28. F&J

F&J

29. willymakeit

willymakeit

Interested ? You bet. Good luck and have fun.

30. chopd top

chopd top
    from Florida
    1. HAMB Relays

**grabbing the popcorn** Ok, I'll follow along. Good luck and keep the pieces you cut out. You never know who might need them for an un-chop down the road.