Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 34 Ford roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by v8deuce, Feb 11, 2017.

1. v8deuce

v8deuce

Hi all sorry if this is in the wrong area as I'm not sure where it goes.Anyway I have a 34 Roadster that I'm in the process of building. I have had the billet everything 32 now I want to go in the other direction by biulding my 34 semi sixty's and low budget. I've found a 52 hemi but need to know about a stock Ford diff that the guys would have used in that era but with updates.I understand that the widths changed over the years,the hemi is stock so I'm not worried about strength. I have seen the conversation from closed to open driveshafts is there a hub to weld onto axle tubes that would accept 8-9inch bearings? Backing plates? What about axles? The other reason I'd like to go this way is to add a Quick change in the future.
    Thanks in advance Randy

2. Squablow

Squablow

That's a really oddly worded question, but I'll try to help. If you want a quick change later, you'll want to build your car with an early Ford "banjo" style axle. Many of these were enclosed driveshaft which will not work well with a Hemi engine.

But there are parts available to convert them to an open driveshaft, or try to find a rearend from an early Ford F-1 pickup truck, which had the banjo style rearend and open driveshaft right from the factory. They're plenty strong for what you're planning to do with it, and they have the 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern for early Ford wheels as well.

You can use the original F-1 backing plates and drums, they are a fine setup, and if you find an F-1 in a junkyard to strip, or maybe a complete donor chassis or something, the front brakes, steering box, pedal assembly, center crossmember, front shock mounts, steel wheels, and other pieces are all good to use on an early Ford frame and period correct for the era.

v8deuce likes this.
  3. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Look up "Hot rod works "in Idaho

If you want to run a quickie later ,you should put an A or T spring and crossmember in now

v8deuce likes this.
  4. exterminator

exterminator

Where is the pictures?

v8deuce likes this.

5. v8deuce

v8deuce

6. v8deuce

v8deuce

I see how it might be hard to see what I was thinking lol but the banjo diff was on my mind,thanks for the tip on the F1.
    Randy

7. v8deuce

v8deuce

Thanks Thirty Two I'll check it out.
    Randy

8. exterminator

exterminator

Nice car!

v8deuce likes this.
  9. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

X2. Pretty damn nice start!!!!! Run the axle that's in in it and make it an "as is driver". If ya still feel the need for a QC, then research the Pierson Bros 34 Coupe, look over its rear x-member taking into consideration that you don't want to chop up that rear floor in that body.
    There are so many different avenues that you can go down in order to achieve the over all goal.
    Lock down the route and you'll get there.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    v8deuce and 302GMC like this.
  10. v8deuce

v8deuce

Thanks Thirty Two thats exactly what I was looking for!
    Cyclone Kevin it has a camaro 10 bolt not what I'm looking for,I'm thinking a banjo and posies parallel springs on the frame that way I won't need arms to keep diff from twisting but who knows I'm still in the collecting parts stage.

11. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

10 bolt rear would do fine just to get it on the road, I hear ya on the banjo, they look great out back especially with a quickie.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017