Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 34 Ford Roadster Build - engine question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bandoola, Jul 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bandoola

bandoola

I have a stock 34 roadster which has spent the last 30+ years in a barn. I am planning to build the car into a hot rod without cutting the body or fenders; will a small block 427 (Mighty Mouse) fit without modifying the hood or engine compartment?

Thanks,

2. bandoola

bandoola

3. alchemy

alchemy

I've never seen a big block in a 34 with the stock firewall.

But if your 427 is actually small block size it can be done with a short water pump.

4. 562roadster

562roadster

Man that roadster is cool as is! Id trade my 32 roadster for that lol

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. Does it have the flathead?

6. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Man, im no purist, but itd be a shame to cut that up and put a chebby motor in it

7. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Don t mean to hijack, but why is it that you don't see more 34 roadsters hot rods. All the roadsters are A-Bones or 32's.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

^ No they're not. ^

Nice car, man.

9. If it doesn't have a flathead you should get one.....

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

thunderbolt359 likes this.
  10. bandoola

bandoola

Yes, there is a flathead in it. I will try to get some pictures of it.

11. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

More pics would be fun.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

13. Damn. That's nice......

14. Elvis100

Elvis100

Keep the flathead, that is nice as is.... I would get it running and go!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

15. adam401

adam401

Oh man that's nice.

16. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

Before you go near that roadster do some research here and on fordbarn. That's a rare and sort after car, by doing a late model engine conversion you'll be basically removing half the car and losing its history. Maybe flip that one and look for one already done.
    If not, a nice tradition hot rod is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

clunker, thunderbolt359 and Elvis100 like this.
  17. That roadster just screams "pre 48 flathead with all of the polished aluminum accessories". Build it that way and you will have people 3 deep around it at a car show/rod run. Put in a SBC Chevy and it will just be another "ho-hum" car that people will glance at as they walk past. Another nice thing is that you don't have to pull the body and box the frame for a flathead. I would just bolt it together with a '39 transmission and original rear end and drive it and enjoy it. That of course is just my opinion and reflects where I am coming from. You should put your general location in your profile, you can never tell how or when that might pay off.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    oldtymehiboy, scruff and Just Gary like this.
  18. bandoola

bandoola

Just Gary likes this.
  19. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Do a Google search for Paul Garrigan aka Rumbleseat. He had the most traditional 34 Ford roadster I have ever driven.

20. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Paul drove that flathead powered 34 all over the US.
    I agree with the others.
    Sell that as is and buy a finished roadster with a Chevy engine in it already. I'm sure you won't have to add any money on the flip.

clunker and thunderbolt359 like this.
  21. Copy this one and you will have a winner. IMG_3002.jpg

22. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I'm not a flathead fan and yes, you can install the 427 SBC without cutting the hood but the firewall will require a notch for the distributor. Looks like a nice roadster to start with so a little modifications may be the way to go. You have to make the decision which way to go. Don't build the car to please someone else's taste or recommendations. Hot Rods have been modified since the beginning as that is what we do.

Besty34, oldtymehiboy and jalopykid like this.
  23. v8deuce

v8deuce

Sorry but I'm with the others,that's to nice to start cutting things, those are very hard to find in that condition. I have one that was started to hotrod and the previous owner collected parts for years. He installed a sbc and after cutting the firewall lost interest in it, now I'm in the process of turning it back into a flatty with a mustang 5speed and stock diff. Good luck on your project but in my opinion your 30-40 years to late to install a small block Chevy.
    Randy

24. studebaker46

studebaker46

I have to agree with pewsplace if you leave it the way it is you just have an original car, which there is nothing wrong with that but this is a hot rod site. so build it to please you and enjoy the hell out of it Tom ps there are 427 sbc

25. bandoola

bandoola

Thanks guys for the comments, I appreciate them all. My original plan was to build a car using an aftermarket frame - like TCI, with a chevy small block, discs all around, etc, etc. And I wanted an all steel - original body, so I started looking and when a friend said he found one - I said I would take it. Well, as you can see - it's not just an original steel body - it's an original car. I understand the rarity and the fact someone may want to restore this car to it's original condition. I have no intention of boxing the frame or cutting the body. I want to drop this body onto a TCI frame and go. As was suggested, if there is someone seeking an original car to restore, and I can be pointed to an all steel body (with 1934 registration) - lets talk.

26. bandoola

bandoola

Thanks Randy, but what do you mean; "30-40 years too late to install a small block chevy."

27. bandoola

bandoola

I don't think the ol' gal has run in awhile, I might try to get it going.

wheeler.t likes this.
  28. I smell street rod.:rolleyes:

Stu Hilborn broke records with a 34 flathead engine. He counts as a hot rodder. ;)

But I think the OP is coming from a different place.

29. If you really want and have been searching for a '34 Ford Roadster, then you really hit the jackpot, man, not something you find every day, (around here anyway). But if you just wanted a prewar Ford to rod, and this one just popped up, I would say that's a different story.

You could sell this car in the right venue, and get enough to buy a different, less rare car to rod, and have some money left over to help fund the project.

Or if you don't care about money, or original '34 Roadsters, just get a TCI frame, IFS, BBC and alter the firewall, fawn colored molded leather interior, walnut tilt steering wheel, ECU, digital gauges, billet wheels and have a ball, it will be an awesome ride. (A lot of people here drive street rods just like that, which are cool in their own right)

You will piss a lot of other people off here on HAMB though. When veins on their foreheads burst, and they are bleeding out on their keyboard, their wives are calling them to dinner with no response, golden retriever trying to revive his big buddy in overalls, don't worry man, it won't be your fault...

30. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.