Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 34 ford pu twisted rear shackles

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by tarheelrodr, Nov 8, 2022.

1. Connected to the transmission or not, should make no difference. When those things were factory assembled they installed the complete rear axle/suspension as one unit, they sure as hell didn't assemble it one piece at a time!

2. Andy

Andy

33-34 trans mounts have two mounting positions to accomadate the different torque tube lengths. They can be reversed. They mount with ears on the sides. Just remove the mounting bolts and see if the rear end slides forward and straightes the shackles.

3. tarheelrodr

tarheelrodr

new ford style shackles came in yesterday from Third Gen Automotive. These are the type with each shackle having a large (7/8”) bolt bushing and a small (3/4”). The main leaf spring eyelet measures slightly larger than 3/4” at .76 and the axle tube mount measures 3/4”.

I don’t know that want to ream or hone out the spring eyelets or axle mounts an 1/8” to make the larger shackle bolt bushings fit?

4. Stock spring eyes were 7/8"; while aftermarket springs are usually 3/4" like yours. Should not ream anything; just get the correct bushings to match your spring.

5. Fordors

Fordors

He purchased an OEM style shackle set with bushings like this, that’s why he wants to ream.

A54E1E83-BCDD-4D8D-A079-13194155A6E1.jpeg

I would ream the hanger provided you think the wall thickness would be adequate. Spring steel will not ream easily. BTW, they were designed to be a press fit.

6. '35 up shackle set would have 3/4" bushings for both the spring and spring perch.

7. tarheelrodr

tarheelrodr

Anyone have 2- 3/4” bushings I can buy to use in place of the 7/8”? I will look online to see if I can find a set. Not really want to weaken the hanger wall.

8. tarheelrodr

tarheelrodr

Ordered pair of 35-40 rear shackles and should be here in a day or two but curious how do I install the pins in the spring eyelet and axle mounts so that the square part of the pins are lined up with square holes in the end plates?

9. The pins rotate, just turn them with a crescent wrench to line them up with the bars.

10. Andy

Andy

I always thought the pins were bonded to the rubber. They have rings to increase the surface area. I always carefully installed them to have minimum rotation stress when installed.

Fordors, rusty valley and 1935ply like this.