Register now to get rid of these ads!

34 Ford on a 32 Frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Window Licker, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Window Licker

Window Licker

I just picked up a 34 sedan body, and was thinking about what i was going to use for a chassis. Is it weird to put a 34 on 32 frame rails?

Has anyone done this I couldn't find much using search function.

Any thoughts and input are appreciated.

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

33-34 Frames are findable and correct for your Sedan (Tudor OR Fordor?) and reproduction hotrod frames are easily available too!

3. Window Licker

Window Licker

tudor

i guess i hadn't really thought much about that since 32 frame rails are repoped and commonly used.

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I think there may a law that nothing later than 32 goes on a 1932 Ford frame with the one exception of 33-34 Ford Pickup cabs.
    I can't remember ever seeing anything later on a Deuce frame than a Deuce or 33-34 pickup cab. Maybe I have and am blocking it out.

5. metal man

metal man

Yes it's weird. six inch wheelbase difference,won't fit the floors, etc. Bad idea.

6. 3quarter32

3quarter32

Isn't there a wheelbase difference there?
    Lee

7. I think the swoop on the bottom of the 33/34 body would kill the 32 frame.

8. Window Licker

Window Licker

Thats that feeling i had, the idea seemed weird putting a body on a older frame. i just havent seen it done which is why i had to ask.

thanks guys

9. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

Don't do it!!!

I am working on my 34 frame right now. I'm starting with new rails from ASC and using an original X member. The new rails are very nice and seem to be right on the money with the original ones I have.

I'll sell you my original rails in a few weeks after I'm done building my frame. They need some rust repaired but they are a start. Shit I'll also sell you a 46 frame that you could use the X member out of. Just buy some boxing plates and some cross members and you got a good start

PM me for some details on the rails

10. Window Licker

Window Licker

While im at it i might as well see what you guys think of my other idea for this project.

since the roof has extensive damage, im planning on turning into a 2 door tub, and maybe modifying a roadster top to fit the full length.

but heres what im wondering, what would it look like if i leaned the rear panel forward like a vicky? in mot sure if it would look alright or not, i really dont want to cut it up and be dissappointed.

11. Not a good idea!!!

12. There's an entire build thread on 33/34 vicky from a sedan. Pretty sure it was salt flats speed shop. There's also a guy who did a semi convertible ( left the door tops) vicky style from a sedan .

When you flip the back panel you also need to move the wheel well forward.

13. Try your ideas out on paper.
    There's lots of great ideas that weren't done at first because someone had an opinion, then when someone else had the ideas years later everyone lobes them.

Case in point, my 31 vicky was going to get a 33/34 windshield and header blended into the roof. " oh bad idea, DON'T DO IT ........". Now go have a look at the bass build.

14. metal man

metal man

Regardless of how damaged the roof is, changing it into a tub would be a way bigger job than just fixing the roof. You would need a roadster cowl and windshield for starters,unless you have very impressive fabrication skills.Then there is the matter of the doors. Lots of work everywhere else too.

Not really trying to talk you out of it, just be informed.

15. Window Licker

Window Licker

i dont have enough of the roof to fix it. id essentially have to fabricate from the a pillar to the back of the doors from scratch. i was planning on doing a custom windshield anyways.

whats the matter of the doors?

16. metal man

metal man

Just a huge difference between closed car doors and open car doors. Thickness,size,shape. Sounds like a good pile to make a tub out of I guess...if that's what you want. Just don't be afraid to fix/build that roof if a sedan is something you would rather end up with.

Many of us on here have started with the same or less than what it sounds like you have.

17. Harms Way

Harms Way

Window Licker,... How about posting up a few pictures of the project in question,......

18. Window Licker

Window Licker

i want a roadster, so this seems like the way to go. people turn coupe doors into roadster doors all the time that doesnt concern me.

making door tops doesnt scare me, i plan on building a 34 tub regardless of opinions, no offense metal man, i appreciate your input.

i guess something similar to this only not a street rod, fenderless, and in a pre war tradition style

[​IMG]

my question is should i leave the back like a sedan or lean it forward similar to a vicky?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  19. Window Licker

Window Licker

unfortunately i dropped it off in storage yesterday while i finish making a couple changes with my pick up, i should be able to get some pictures thursday night

20. Harms Way

Harms Way

Alright,... here are a few obstacles you are going to have to overcome,...

1. Your going to have to really beef up your "B" pillars, and the sub-rails just below them,.. these doors are going to be long & heavy even without the regulators and glass.

2. Your going to have to build a cage type of structure all the way around the back half of the body,... the tudor body relies a lot on the roof structure for structural rigidity,.. so this structure is going to have to tie into the "B" pillars as well.

3. You'll have to reinforce the entire cowl area, and really build up the "A" pillar area,.. especially from the striker plate down.

Even with some totally stock original open cars you can usually see a lot of flex in the bodies at the latch post when you close the doors.

One other suggestion,... build your chassis up first, mount the body solid and get the doors swinging and latching and gaped,.... then cross brace the snot out of it with conduit before you cut the top off and start all your bodywork,... otherwise trying to get everything to work together and line up,... will be a total nightmare.

Good luck,........

21. Window Licker

Window Licker

those are good suggestions ill likely do something very similar, once i post pictures ill explain what i had in mind. i may have given the wrong impression when i said i bought a 34 sedan, a more realistic statement is that i bought most of the parts of a 34 sedan body.

Here's what i have:

34 firewall
    34 closed car cowl
    33 sedan doors
    33/34 sedan quarters and roof ( the parts past the door frame)

so i'll need to make the area in between the cowl and the quarters, expect for the doors of course. i planned on making the door frames extra beefy to support the weight of the doors. i really like the idea of building a tube frame to support the body and doors too. i already planned on building a cage under the cowl to mount the steering box, and maybe the pedals depending on which way i have them swing.

22. Harms Way

Harms Way

Depending on what look your going for,.. you might think about scratch building a frame from rectangular tubing,... the Ford Model 40 (33/34 Ford) is mostly channeled from the factory,... so a true highboy configuration would look kind of off...

One of our HAMBers built his own 32' frame,... good ideas here,.. you could build it to any configuration you would like including the 112" wheelbase.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299105

23. rust&patina

rust&patina

go for it cory...:D you already know you have the right help...:cool: plus you know what you can do...

24. rust&patina

rust&patina

very good advice...

25. Window Licker

Window Licker

Thanks tim, Im glad you caught this thread. im sure ill do a build thread on this in the future but for now im trying to get an idea set so i can start picking up parts.

if you dont mind pm me your contact info.

thanks

26. adam401

adam401

Not rying to sway you in any direction but just a thought. At my garage my friends and I were comparing my 34 frame to the 40 frame sitting next to it and our friends 36 frame. If you could find one of those local and cheap, with some cutting, especially channeled, those may be a good answer. You youd have to narrow and shorten but they have cool x members, crossmembers andnice swoopy rails. Good luck

27. Take a look at the brooster built fords, chances are they built what you are contemplating. Also the Lincolns version of that body style/s.

28. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Id build a 3 window

29. F&J

F&J

Try sketching it out; I think the vicky tilt will make it shorter looking, and the sedan stock tilt must make it longer looking.

If you plan for a top someday, that may make a huge difference in how the whole package looks, if you tilted the back body panel one way or the other?

30. Window Licker

Window Licker

I really like the shape of this first one, though i dont know that it would work as well with a 34

[​IMG]

if i leave the tub alone id probably do something similar to this

[​IMG]

The top is something im not so concerned with since it will be off more than on, though its a good point to keep in mind. i do like the idea of a extended roadster style top alot